Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
establisment censure - Get real. It didn't get covered because it was a NOTHING event. The RT put the number at at hundreds.
Nothing event? RT? Hundred?

Are you denying the facts?

I don't take my information from RT and claiming that this event was hundred is pure bias.

[YT]LOJIwiSrq3M[/YT]

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

So - what should we get from this video? There is not a dispute that there was a march but on the size of the march. There was not an aerial view in the video, so we can only estimate the size based on what is shown. That would best be described as hundreds of people marching for Ron Paul. Sorry - but that is a small march and not significant enough for national news.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
So - what should we get from this video? There is not a dispute that there was a march but on the size of the march. There was not an aerial view in the video, so we can only estimate the size based on what is shown. That would best be described as hundreds of people marching for Ron Paul. Sorry - but that is a small march and not significant enough for national news.
My view differ, but I respect your opinion

Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Zap - Are we counting foreign media outlets as alternative. AlJezeera is a stated owned media outlet. It is owned by the state of Qatar through the Qatar Media Corporation. So for the purpose of this discussion are we defining alternative media as anything that is not a big US owned company??
Most of the media is owned by:
  • Time Warner
  • News Corporation
  • Disney
  • Comcast
  • Google
  • CBS
  • Omnicom
  • Viacom

For the purposes of our discussion (and maybe other discussions), I think it's safe to say that if the media outlet isn't owned (at least in part) by one of the above companies, then it could be considered alternative media.
You could also make the argument that government owned media isn't alternative.
In my own country, I wouldn't consider the CBC an alternative news source.
But at the same time, they certainly (usually) seem less biased than many others.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM
v7n Mentor

'Blackout' seems hyperbolic. I found stories on abc news, the Washington Times, Austin News,
Houston Chronicle, and International Business Times with estimates of the crowds ranging anywhere from
several hundred to 1,000. I understand some thinking the lack of coverage constitutes a blackout.

I have total sympathy for those critical of mainstream media for its selective coverage of events and issues.

I suggest not thinking of it as a problem. Think of it rather as a fact.
It has long been known the revolution would not be televised.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
It has long been known the revolution would not be televised.
HA.
Reminds me of the Moscow coup attempt in 1991.
Turn on the TV to see a looped, repeated performance of the Nutcracker Balet while tanks rolled onto the White House lawn.

Nothing to see here, folks.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Another example of censure by the establisment controlled media:

Ron Paul only has one full-time reporter

Quote:
Something I learned tonight: NBC News is the only news organization that still has a reporter covering Ron Paul full-time.

"I'm the only dedicated embed consistently covering Ron Paul," NBC's Anthony Terrell told me via email. "CBS & Fox occasionally send someone to events, they were in Michigan, but weren't in Washington State last week."

Terrell added that the Associated Press's Beth Fouhy is no longer covering Paul full-time, which makes him the only reporter dedicated to the Ron Paul beat -- something sure to frustrate Paul supporters, who already complain that the media isn't giving their candidate adequate coverage.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...er-115880.html

Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

A documentary to watch:

[YT]evkpcBPZ1R4[/YT]

Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
establisment censure - Get real. It didn't get covered because it was a NOTHING event. The RT put the number at at hundreds. The parade De Barkus (The dog Mardi gras parade) had more people than that and I would expect it to receive nationwide new reports.

Given the media reporting on Clinton love life and all the negative Bush W reporting, I really can't see any proof that the our government has the ability to censure much. If the government had that much control, all we would be hearing is good news about the economy, instead of the negative garbage that is being put out.
It's not about the number of people, it's about the significance and the event in and of itself. People know Mardi Gras is going on as it's annual and it's about partying. A veteran's march signifies something to get veterans to march the way that they did. They wouldn't be out for nothing. Things like that should get SOME recognition since they represent something that the media is supposed to report..... NEWS.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
HA.
Reminds me of the Moscow coup attempt in 1991.
Turn on the TV to see a looped, repeated performance of the Nutcracker Balet while tanks rolled onto the White House lawn.

Nothing to see here, folks.
I don't think the western empire will fall so quietly.

I think Mikhail Gorbachev is a great man.
Too bad GW Bush failed to honor Ronald Reagan's forgotten promise to stand down
when the soviet empire fell.

Last edited by rabble; 03-02-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
I think Mikhail Gorbachev is a great man.
Many of us in the West think he was great for what he did for world peace.
Most ordinary Russians I've spoken to, however, don't hold him in as high regard.
They blame him for the short term pain that preceeded their long term gain.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues