Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Have online comment sections become 'a joke'?

Very interesting blog post. Feel free to post a blog comment on it.

Quote:
In the early days of the Internet, there was hope that the unprecedented tool for global communication would lead to thoughtful sharing and discussion on its most popular sites.

A decade and a half later, the very idea is laughable, says Gawker Media founder Nick Denton.

"It didn't happen," said Denton, whose properties include the blogs Gawker, Jezebel, Gizmodo, io9 and Lifehacker, among others. "It's a promise that has so not happened that people don't even have that ambition any more.

"The idea of capturing the intelligence of the readership -- that's a joke.
"

Denton was speaking at South by Southwest Interactive, the annual festival here devoted to Web and digital culture.

He said commenting on his own sites (which he said he's seen make reporters cry) has gotten so bad that...
Continued at: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/11/tech/w...x.html?npt=NP1

Your thoughts?

I can understand that on large sites, it would take a huge crew of moderators to police the comment section but the blog owners should of thought about this before creating a blog.

Let's discuss this issue. There are times i try to post a blog comment on a CNN blog post and half the time it's either not approved or people respond with false information/spam or preach there own relgion beliefs in which is way off topic.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Speaking as a person who just recently added a comment section to a couple of sites, I am slightly disappointed in the results. I added it for the reasons stated in the article. I hoped to capture some quality comments or comments from readers with a different view that my own. I hoped it would be a mini forum type of thing.

With the exception of a comment from a fellow member here it has not worked out all that well. I chose not to give links or even allow them; yet most of the comments have been inane drivel. Trolls working the the web and posting garbage or testing the water for a future hit.

I have no plans to discontinue them but I may go to a moderate all before publication format.

Dear Abby, you can sign me disappointed.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues