Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Exclamation WARNING! Please Read If You Have Dogs!

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...a-records-show

Hope this helps someone. Was on MSN this morning in case some of you missed it. Guess where the product was made

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Cigarette packages have huge warning labels here and the warnings are pretty graphic.
"Smoking Can Kill You" is just one example.

Why not start labelling all products with a nationalistic pride motive in mind?
"This product was made in China"

Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Great idea Gap. It is labeled where it was made but you have to look for it. I purchased a coat bundt pan at wal mart one day and didn't find out it was made in china until I got it home and took the label off. I turned around and took it back because I didn't trust it. The clerk told me under her breath "I don't blame you" and gave me my money back.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

I am eating the chicken eggs the little monster gets each morning. Pretty sure those are a product of the USA.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitty View Post
Great idea Gap.
Gap? Was your keyboard made in China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I am eating the chicken eggs the little monster gets each morning. Pretty sure those are a product of the USA.
Some cities in my local area are beginning to consider allowing chickens within city limits.
A direct result of folks wanting to know exactly where there food comes from.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Gap? Was your keyboard made in China?

Some cities in my local area are beginning to consider allowing chickens within city limits.
A direct result of folks wanting to know exactly where there food comes from.
And the flocks of disappointed people who buy chickens without realizing that if you don't the same hormone enhanced mash the producers do they won't produce enough eggs to justify the feed bill. It is a feast and famine event.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
And the flocks of disappointed people who buy chickens without realizing that if you don't the same hormone enhanced mash the producers do they won't produce enough eggs to justify the feed bill. It is a feast and famine event.
I've never done it, but I would imagine that keeping chickens requires work.
I'm going to go out on a limb, here, but I'm guessing that if these people don't mind the extra work involved in raising their own chickens, just so that they know they're getting all natural food, maybe the concept of breaking even on feed is not high on their list of priorities either.
But good point on the feed. I wonder if there's a way around using the crap feed but still getting enough eggs for a family of 4.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
But good point on the feed. I wonder if there's a way around using the crap feed but still getting enough eggs for a family of 4.
Probably not. The price of quality feed has skyrocketed, just like any other food for either us humans or our animals/pets.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Stumped by mysterious illnesses in at least 600 dogs in the U.S., federal health officials have turned to consumers for help investigating problems possibly tied to chicken jerky pet treats made in China.

You have to wonder about the Chines - certainly not to eat anything from China.

of course it is assumable what was not used for dog food from the same chicken went into their food supply, for humans.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Inspired ink raises chickens maybe she will post a more modern reply. When I was a kid our free range chickens only laid eggs for a few weeks a few times per year. No where near enough eggs for the family.

The hormone feed keeps them laying far more productively but still not an egg a day x 365 per chicken.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Inspired ink raises chickens maybe she will post a more modern reply. When I was a kid our free range chickens only laid eggs for a few weeks a few times per year. No where near enough eggs for the family.

The hormone feed keeps them laying far more productively but still not an egg a day x 365 per chicken.

Ohhhh, I just saw this! I was reading earlier in the thread and I wanted to reply, but I thought, no, it's been so old, not sure I should.

But since you asked.

It may be the chicken's breeding up till now. Most strains have been produced to be good layers (now finding one to SET on eggs and raise chicks is hard!). But I have no problem justifying my feed bill, or getting plenty of eggs.

Most of my better hens lay about 5-6 eggs per week, about 9-10 months out of the year. It all depends what month they hatch that first winter, but thereafter they are going to slow down when they moult. You can increase production artificially by adding lights to the henhouse (so I've heard) but I don't do that. I figure if they slow down laying while their bodies produce new feathers, they need the protein for the feathers. I have enough chickens that even at the slowest times, I have plenty of eggs for myself.

The real problem for me would be finding enough steady customers for my eggs.

But when I have customers, it's definitely a profitable matter, considering only the feed and the eggs. (I'm not suggesting people get into the egg business, building the coop can REALLY cut into that for some people!)

Not only that, but I don't rely much on commercial feeds anymore. I used to, but I have enough animals that it's MUCH more cost effective to mix my own feeds. Not to mention, better for the chickens. Commercial feed is made as cheaply as possible, like anything else, and relies heavily on corn. I give my poultry a small amount of chops (cracked corn) but that is far from the bulk of their feed.

During the summer, they eat about 50% forage, which includes native plants and what I plant for them, and insects. If someone doesn't have suitable pasture, that would be cut down. I also feed them about 90% of my scraps (the goats get the other 10% maybe, just their favorite parts). In my experience, chickens will eat just about ANYthing except maybe onions.

The rest of their feed, which is (guesstimating here) about 20% in the summer, and maybe 70 - 80% in the dead of winter is "feed". I usually buy whole grains and corn chops and give them some of that, and sprout whole grains as well, which increases feed volume by about 120%. Not only that, but whole grains are cheaper to buy than commercial feed.

So if I fed my chickens ONLY purchased feed, my feed bill would be about 35-40% of what it would cost someone else to feed ONLY commercial feed.

The forage and scraps decrease the cost even further.

Anyone can mix their own feed and sprout whole grains. Most people have scraps. Even without forage, it's possible to spend much less on feed that just buying a bag of lay pellets would cost you.

Selling eggs at $3 a dozen, you'd produce about (conservatively) 30 dozen a week from 100 chickens, which is $90 a week. When I was buying commercial feed for 100 chickens, it was costing me (in today's feed costs) about $30 a week. I've increased the cost, and decreased the sales figures, just to be conservative. That would be a net income of $70 a week *IF* you can sell all the eggs.

I froze a lot of eggs, and fed a LOT of them to my chickens, dogs, and cats.

And to be completely honest, I've never had chickens that didn't forage, so if you raised them in something like a chicken barn, I have no idea how much they might eat.

But yeah, it's worth it.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks for the informative post. Great information. I am glad you don't rely on commerical feed because that just defeats the purpose of the eggs being good for you. People needs this information as more are thinking about raising thier own gardens and maybe raising chickens as they don't use much room depending it sounds like on the size of the flock. I am glad you decided to post your reply!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM
v7n Mentor

Glad you didn't mind the late reply.

I'm actually working on a website that is pretty much about all that kind of information, but it's newly launched and will take time to flesh out.

If you're concerned about the SPACE chickens take ... well, they don't really, but the less space you have available, the more feed you likely have to buy.

My flock of approx. 100 in Florida ranged mostly one one very lush acre.

I don't have that many chickens now, and they range on more land. They eat much less than I had to buy before. (But then again, I'm also now feeding ducks, geese, & muscovies too)

Part of the reason they have more space, but "use" less is that I have a number of species all spread out over much of the same land. They all benefit each other in various ways, and they eat different foods so they are not all competing together to strip the pasture. Mine range right now on about 3-ish acres if they stay in the chicken yard, back yard, and the upper part of the goat pasture. Some venture a little further.

If someone wants to keep chickens on a relatively small plot of land, the best way IMO is to divide it into 3-5 pastures/paddocks/pens-whatever you want to call them, plant the areas with things chickens can eat, and rotate the chickens from one pen to another so they don't strip the vegetation and bugs have a chance to come in.

Pasture rotation is VERY important when you have a heavy load of livestock for your land, no matter what kind of animals you are dealing with. Plants recover much better and grow faster when they are not under constant browsing/grazing pressure.

Sorry ... I just love this stuff.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues