Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down Your First Amendment Right Can Be Terminated?

[YT]Znguab2XkoM[/YT]

Excuse me?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Just sounds like a stressed cop who spoke without thinking to me. I'm sure the day would never come when such a thing could happen

Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'm flying to Chicago today. I wanted to show Jack the wonderful cultural offerings of this fine American City. (Going to the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum.)

I'll make sure we don't innocently stand in the middle of the street taking video. They might arrest us.

Glad to know we have a Bill of Rights and a Constitution to protect us from this kind of thing. Looks like they were being pretty hazardous.... endangering life and limb.

I think that we have to be on guard against these kinds of limitations to our right to assemble and our right to free speech. It's insane. Putting on a badge doesn't make you everyone's parent. ("I told you to move and you didn't".)

Give me a break.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 PM
v7n Mentor

I can not believe this comes as a surprise.
6,815 occupiers have been arrested exercising their right to peacefully assemble.
Reporters have been among them.

This is so 24 seconds ago.

The United States has fallen to 47th in Reporters Without Borders
ranking for freedom of the press

Rabble Park

Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

hahahah that is funny

Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by deohaivan View Post
hahahah that is funny
Mind elaborating on how you think it's funny?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
hahahah that is funny
We have some special rules in the controversial section of this community. Please take a moment to review them. Thank you for understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
1. Enter at Your Own Risk - Controversial topics can become heated very quickly. If you want to participate in the social issues forum, there will be times that you are going to need thick skin.

2. Stating Facts - If you are stating something as fact, take the time to research the topic, and include credible references to back up your statement.

3. Stating Opinions - If you are stating something as your opinion, make it clear that it is only your opinion, and explain why you feel that way.

4. Misrepresenting The Words of Other Posters - One way for a debate to get out of hand very quickly is by misrepresenting what others have said in their posts. A lot of this can be prevented simply by using the quote button. If you are not sure what someone meant, take the time to ask them to explain further, rather than assuming or using your own interpretation of their words.

5. Hit and Run Posting - If you decide to join a topic, don't just post and run, without being prepared to back up what you have said, when others respond.

6. Choose Your Words Carefully - Try to remember that there are real people, with real feelings, on the other end of the monitor who are reading your words. Use respect at all times!

7. Step Away - If a topic has reached the point that you are about to say things that you may regret later, don't be afraid to respectfully excuse yourself from the conversation for a bit, while you take time to regain your composure.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
Mind elaborating on how you think it's funny?
The way the cop was blatantly criticizing and arresting the reporters

Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The way the cop was blatantly criticizing and arresting the reporters
I used to ALWAYS give officers the benefit of the doubt. When teens would tell me about how rude officers were, I blew it off as teens being teens. In the last year though, I have personally witnessed (more than once) the power trip some officers get on literally provoking people.

In this case though, it is more than just this officers response. My concern is that it is becoming a way of life to restrict our rights.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM
v7n Mentor

Thank you for your growing awareness.

Quote:
So far 69 journalists have been arrested in 12 cities around the United States since Occupy Wall Street began. This number includes an array of people who were documenting and reporting on Occupy events including professional press, freelancers, photographers, independent filmmakers, and citizen journalists. Scroll to the bottom for the most recent updates. For a quick list of arrests and a break down of their affiliation and occupation see this spreadsheet.

Rabble Park

Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

"Your First Amendment Right Can Be Terminated?"

You can be terminated.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I see Chicago continues unabated its policy of seeking out the best and brightest to serve the public.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Hang on a minute, let me get this right... Ya think you guys still have first ammendment rights today? [insert presidents name and year in here]

Ok, that comment was tongue in cheek, though the scary thing is, the way things are going, it looks like the day will come when someone is actually going to say this and i'm not even joking about that one, which is why I placed the insertion box also.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 PM

Sadly, it's not that shocking. Look at the Patriot Act and the USA's history in general when it comes to free speech. Well, at least free speech that is seen as threatening to the state. As the economic contradictions become more obvious, expect more of these statements to be become more overt. Honestly, the nature of the nation-state ensures that freedom is limited. Otherwise, how could those who run it maintain their control?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 AM

Freedom of the press should be tempered with objectivity of the press....

How many professions can operated completely unregulated?.....
Twist the truth and present their own political agenda under the guise of the public's right to know?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Twist the truth and present their own political agenda under the guise of the public's right to know?
Politicians, lobbyists and think tank personnel come to mind.
Wait! BP and the Clean Coal Group?
Preacher, Pastor and all manner of advertiser?

And, isn't all that covered by free speech?

Can I put you down as opposed to the First Amendment?

Rabble Park

Last edited by rabble; 03-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Freedom of the press should be tempered with objectivity of the press....

This thread just serves to underscore how I am finding myself on opposite sides of a couple of issues, depending on the details.

On the one hand, I honestly don't have a lot of use for the press. I noticed years ago (back when I didn't even have that much interest in such things) that their political views were slanted, and I watched them get a president elected.

In my opinion, the press very often twists public sentiment, leading the people along like a puppy on a string. I can't believe the public falls for it, but they do, time and again.

It becomes difficult to know who is telling the truth.

I was raised wearing rose-colored glasses, believing that in the United States we had the unique advantage of a free press that reported the TRUTH, and that we were privy to truth in a way that the citizens of most countries were not. Sigh ... possibly I was being led along on my own string to believe that. I can remember actually thinking about things like that before I was old enough to go to school.

BUT ... at the same time, I am STRONGLY opposed to the press being blocked from filming or reporting on whatever is happening out there.

Just as I'm straddling the fence with the issue of copyright recently. I'm very opposed to so many of the copyright claims and legislation I hear about recently (much of which has already been discussed here) and yet at the same time, I'm really bothered by the fact that I just found someone hijacked almost 100 articles directly from one of my sites and built their own niche site with MY work.

Still, if you apply common sense, I don't think it's so difficult to know what's ok and what's not. If a librarian somewhere wanted to read my articles to kids, I'd be more than happy to let them (though I doubt the kids would be interested, LOL). As long as the library doesn't print them out, bind them up and sell them, I don't really care.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:20 PM

I guess I shouldn't be disturbed by the press attempts to control...well...everything....

I wish the sheep would learn to think for themselves and not be lead. by the media....
Just because it is printed in the paper does not make it true.......

I strongly support the 1st amendment.....but sometimes fail to recognize the first pretzel.....

Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 PM
v7n Mentor

I too object to the current practices of the media but it would seem we realistically
have no choice but to let all ideas grow and leave our faith in the citizen to sort it
all out in the marketplace of ideas. And. again in the words of Thomas Jefferson:
Quote:
I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power.
In this case, as in the case of all the enumerated Rights, the constitutional right, and also the power of that right,
lies with the people and not with the government. Those who believe those rights can be protected by, defined, refined
or balanced by the government suffer from a fundamental misunderstanding of why the Bill of Rights exist
and why our forefathers insisted upon them before agreeing to the federal constitution's limited reign over us.

Rabble Park

Last edited by rabble; 03-24-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Well, I'd certainly agree with Jefferson there.

While I don't appreciate what the media does, I would NEVER support the government taking a role to police them. I suspect something along the lines of governmental influence is the cause of the current mess.

Though it would seem efforts to educate and enlighten the public are not proving highly effective at this juncture either.

I've had somewhat of an interest over the past 15-20 years in the causes of the sliding away of education and even good old fashioned common sense. It might appear to some that even that is calculated ...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues