Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
It would be wonderful to live in a utopia where the need for a gun never crossed anyone's mind. For many though, this isn't reality...
I think the only way "gun control" can TRULY work the way an idealistic person envisions it ... would be if you had a society where there never WERE any guns, and you could prevent any entering in. That would truly be the effect they desire, as I understand it. Your utopia ...

Unfortunately, it's like the story of opening a feather pillow and scattering the feathers in the wind. You'll never be able to gather them all back up. It's just not going to practically happen.

Not to mention, I'd still have no weapon against predators. Now, since you mentioned utopia ... if there could be no predators, no criminals, no need for national defense or a police force, well ... wonderful. If the world was like that and there had never been a NEED for a gun anywhere ... where do I sign up? But in the world we live in today, it just isn't like that.

Wow, how's that for a long-winded way to say, "I agree"? But in my much younger more impressionable and idealistic days, gun control sounded good. But even then I had such thoughts that the only way it would work the way everyone wanted it to, was as you said. Utopia where there had never been a need.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

We seem to be happy in Australia.

Farmers have their guns, bona fide gun collectors have their guns, genuine hunters have their guns, members of shooting clubs have guns, law enforcement have their guns and some criminals have their guns so they can fight other crims.

What we don't have is citizens with guns either in their homes or concealed on their person. Mind you we have never been a handgun society. Seems to have cut down on massacres and murders.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
It would be wonderful to live in a utopia where the need for a gun never crossed anyone's mind. For many though, this isn't reality...

not so for those whose pursuits transgress the need for artificial means to "solve" the problems that befall them ... just shooting someone is not an answer.

Firearms for sport, sustenance (coyote) is their only use.

The Garden we have descended is replete throughout with quests of both enrichment and great dangers with many lessons to be learned in the pursuit of the Outer World of Life that is for the Spirit to make and can not be accomplished by any other means.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post
not so for those whose pursuits transgress the need for artificial means to "solve" the problems that befall them ... just shooting someone is not an answer.
That ignores the millions of offenses (rapes, robberies, assaults, murders, robberies, etc) that are cut short by the mere production of a gun without it being fired.

And in the case of, for example, the young mother in the newspaper article I showed early in the thread that defended herself and her baby against multiple armed aggressors by shooting one... I'd contend that his death is less tragic than had she been unarmed and the headline been about her death instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood
Firearms for sport, sustenance (coyote) is their only use.
This may be your opinion, but it isn't consistent with legal doctrine in the country you live in.

Quote:
The Garden we have descended is replete throughout with quests of both enrichment and great dangers with many lessons to be learned in the pursuit of the Outer World of Life that is for the Spirit to make and can not be accomplished by any other means.
[YT]ke5Mr5eCF2U[/YT]

Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
That ignores the millions of offenses (rapes, robberies, assaults, murders, robberies, etc) that are cut short by the mere production of a gun without it being fired.

And in the case of, for example, the young mother in the newspaper article I showed early in the thread that defended herself and her baby against multiple armed aggressors by shooting one... I'd contend that his death is less tragic than had she been unarmed and the headline been about her death instead.

This may be your opinion, but it isn't consistent with legal doctrine in the country you live in.

And in the case of, for example, the young mother in the newspaper article

Quote:
Breeze Wood: not so for those whose pursuits transgress the need for artificial means to "solve" the problems that befall them ... just shooting someone is not an answer.

http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?...b-3754ae61739d

Police: Calif. attack suspect upset about teasing

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — A former student expelled from a small Christian university and upset about being teased over his poor English skills went to the school to find a female administrator, then opened fire when she was not there, killing at least seven people, police said Tuesday.

Police on Tuesday were still looking for the gun used, which Jordan described as a semiautomatic handgun.
No one questions your "news" accounts nor are there not the same no. referenced by gun violence who chose a weapon to solve their problems and did the guy above know or have involvement with all those he "chose" to shot ???

Quote:
Breeze Wood: Firearms for sport, sustenance (coyote) is their only use.

not everyone panders to criminals - the above has nothing to do with where one lives and it is "your" opinion that is not made evident by the Constitution.

Quote:
Article [I.]
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Article [II.]
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

or the right of the people peaceably to assemble

I included the 1st - packing a weapon in public is not peaceable - the 1st overrides the 2nd.

not to say you can not be a bad ass - just do it without artificial means.

Last edited by Breeze Wood; 04-03-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I included the 1st - packing a weapon in public is not peaceable - the 1st overrides the 2nd.
Would you mind explaining why you believe that a concealed or open carry of a firearm is 'not peaceable'? Carrying in a holster can in no way be confused with brandishing. If you need to look it up: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brandishing+?s=t

Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Would you mind explaining why you believe that a concealed or open carry of a firearm is 'not peaceable'? Carrying in a holster can in no way be confused with brandishing. If you need to look it up: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brandishing+?s=t
I think he's saying that by merely seeing a gun, people will become highly anxious if it's not someone that they associate with the law, such as the police. However, having a concealed weapon means that you absolutely don't brandish that weapon unless you absolutely need to because your life is in jeopardy, otherwise you can lose your license to carry if you do so in the wrong circumstance. To that extent, no one even knows that you have a gun, so I have to ask, how is THAT not peaceable? I can see possibly having it in a holster for all to see, but if someone carries for self defense and never draws their firearm, how can that not be peaceable?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

I will wait for Breeze to reply. I consider a weapon when one must pull it out to be the ultimate peacemaker. Of course one should never to that unless they are prepared to use it.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
v7n Mentor

As far as I can tell, the only gun control legislation nationally that is proposed is to reintroduce the ban on the sale of assault rifles and maybe ban the thirty round clip.
What else are you hearing?.

Rabble Park

Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfyre7896 View Post
I think he's saying that by merely seeing a gun, people will become highly anxious if it's not someone that they associate with the law, such as the police. However, having a concealed weapon means that you absolutely don't brandish that weapon unless you absolutely need to because your life is in jeopardy, otherwise you can lose your license to carry if you do so in the wrong circumstance. To that extent, no one even knows that you have a gun, so I have to ask, how is THAT not peaceable? I can see possibly having it in a holster for all to see, but if someone carries for self defense and never draws their firearm, how can that not be peaceable?
Quote:
ScriptMan:I will wait for Breeze to reply. I consider a weapon when one must pull it out to be the ultimate peacemaker. Of course one should never to that unless they are prepared to use it.

I agree, that a concealed firearm is not "brandishing" a weapon and is not a threat to the right of the people peaceably to assemble, for some - open carry should not be allowed at "public" gatherings.

I am all for the "regulated" right to own firearms ...

Quote:
SM: I consider a weapon when one must pull it out to be the ultimate peacemaker.
isn't that what Zimmerman did - and the very problem / irreversible consequence to an innocent victim with public use of firearms?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

What would really be alarming is if gun sales explode... in Japan.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

It's alarming when anything explodes in Japan.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan
I consider a weapon when one must pull it out to be the ultimate peacemaker.
Quote:
isn't that what Zimmerman did - and the very problem / irreversible consequence to an innocent victim with public use of firearms?
Unlike those apparently omniscient souls that seem to know all the facts of the case despite biased and even doctored evidence that's been provided by the media, politicians and hordes of wannabe vigilantes... I don't pretend to know with certitude exactly WHAT Zimmerman did aside from shoot someone, nor do I know the guilt or innocence of Trayvon Martin. Apparently my crystal ball isn't as good as the ones others have.

One thing I can say with certainty on the topic though. Did you notice how effective all the 911 calls were at saving Martin's life? The only function they served was to let the cops know where to collect the body. So if you want to use that case as the example of whether I should or should not hang onto my firearms... I'm pretty sure it only convinces me of the wisdom of keeping them. YMMV

Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I can't really say. I wasn't there. From everything I have have read he has some guilt on his head. He was told not to follow and he did. Just another wanna be cop and apparently not tough enough to handle an unarmed teen without pulling a gun.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Buyers in record numbers are flooding into gun stores, retailers say. Ammo, too, is flying off the shelves. The reasons for the spike, last seen in 2009, include fears that a second Obama administration might restrict gun ownership and the popularity of TV shows devoted to doomsday preparation and killing zombies.

"He's never been pro-gun," says Cris Parsons of President Obama. Parsons, 31, owns a Texas gun purveyor called the Houston Armory. So far, Parsons insists, Obama has been "pretty coy" about his antipathy toward guns--and he likely will remain so during the campaign. To do otherwise would "upset a lot of people."

But if Obama wins a second term, he'll have "nothing to lose," says Parsons.

Alan Korwin, author of nine books on gun laws, including "Gun Laws of America," says gun owners are worried that the president, as a lame duck, will clamp down as never before on gun ownership.

Parsons says about 40 percent of Armory customers cite this fear as their reason for stocking up on guns and ammo now, before the election.

"Frenzy" is the word he uses to describe their buying. Dollar sales for the Armory are up 30 to 40 percent this quarter compared to last. Parsons thinks his store's performance is indicative of sales nationally, based on what he hears from dealers, suppliers and other store owners.
http://gma.yahoo.com/gun-sales-boomi...ews-money.html

Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Well ...

point number one ... I had no idea there were TV shows about the whole zombie thing.

Point number two, and more importantly ... sounds like I know where I COULD get a job, if business is up that well.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
It's alarming when anything explodes in Japan.
You'd think, by now, we'd be used to the idea.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard
The reasons for the spike, last seen in 2009, include fears that a second Obama administration might restrict gun ownership and the popularity of TV shows devoted to doomsday preparation and killing zombies.
I'm curious how he'd restrict the popularity of TV shows.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

^ That's easy. Start incarcerating their audience. From what I understand, the DHS has already begun surveillance efforts on folks predisposed to the genre. /half joking

Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues