Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down Gun Sales Explode

If you have been watching the news at all, you may have read reports that gun sales are exploding. Many believe this is because of the upcoming election as people begin to worry that second amendment rights will be curtailed.

My question: Do you believe an administration truly has the power to take away gun rights?

Quote:
In 2008 and 2010, the Supreme Court issued two Second Amendment decisions. In District of Columbia v. Heller ( 2008 ), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia[1][2] and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. In dicta, the Court listed many longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession as being consistent with the Second Amendment.[3] In McDonald v. Chicago (2010), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits state and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government.[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_...s_Constitution

Quote:
“Sales usually increase this time of year with tax returns, but this year has been higher than most,” Mike Weeks, owner of Georgia Gun Store in Gainesville told FoxNews.com. “People are scared their gun rights are going to be curtailed after the election."http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/22...election-year/
Attached Thumbnails
Gun Sales Explode-amo.jpg  

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

nonetheless i strongly support the ban
just look at the past few years

Old 03-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by deohaivan View Post
"It you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns."

Old 03-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
Actually, only outlaws and the government will have guns. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:18 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite

Actually, only outlaws and the government will have guns. What could possibly go wrong with that?
Agreed.

As to the question, does the administration have the power to take away rights ...

Well, do they rightfully have that power? No, it's a constitutional amendment. A presidential administration can't just come along and re-write the constitution to suit themselves.

Now ... does the current (or any) administration HAVE that power? When I look around, seems to me that they are already exercising power they don't have in many arenas. If things are carried out, then I guess they DO have the power. Not rightfully of course. It was stolen.

Just as I <ahem> personally believe the office was stolen.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

"Do you believe an administration truly has the power to take away gun rights?"

THIS administration seems to think they have the power to do whatever they damn well please. If they don't think Congress will play along, they simply throw in another Czar, and write up another Executive Order.

However, I'm absolutely opposed to gun bans. If they worked, Chicago would have been safe from 1988 to 2010 (and Washington D.C. would have been safe from 1976 to 2008!) Just read the violent crime stats of these two hell holes during those time frames!

Where I live now, just about every house has at least one firearm. And violent crime is non-existent (Castle Doctrine is alive and well here, and I believe the 'he had it coming' defense is still valid, too...;o)

Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren at LucasWorks View Post
I believe the 'he had it coming' defense is still valid, too...;o)

Is that the same as the "he just needed killing" law?

Around these parts, you'd be pretty foolish to break into anyone's house. Like you said, most everyone has a gun, and I think most people realize that.

If the dogs don't git you, the owner will!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I saw this on FB and laughed so hard I was spitting coffee again!

Attached Thumbnails
Gun Sales Explode-bear.jpg  

Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure. The Constitution and due process hasn't seemed to slow this administration down very much at all. Who knows what evils might lurk in a second term!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I once heard that if you wanted to learn to lift an elephant, you would need to start lifting him the day he was born and continuing lifting him every day...

I am guessing that Hitler did not gain control overnight, but rather by gently slipping away rights one by one and before long, he was able to lift the whole dang adult elephant.

If we do not stand up and speak out when we see our rights being trampled, one day we will wake up and it may be too late.

Just my 2 cents and I probably owe you change.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Funny that you should bring up Hitler. I just thought of the Hitler Youth movement today, as I read this article about a Northern Virginia middle school's civics project.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I once heard that if you wanted to learn to lift an elephant, you would need to start lifting him the day he was born and continuing lifting him every day...

I am guessing that Hitler did not gain control overnight, but rather by gently slipping away rights one by one and before long, he was able to lift the whole dang adult elephant.

If we do not stand up and speak out when we see our rights being trampled, one day we will wake up and it may be too late.

Just my 2 cents and I probably owe you change.
And to do that we must defend the rights of of the scumbags first because they are the first targets. Well lately we have this thing called security to abridge rights with.

The Constitution, due process and the rule of law must be followed at all times to stop the trampling of the citizen's rights. Please note I qualified that statement with the word citizen. If you aren't you don't have any other than human decency.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by deohaivan View Post
That displays an absolute lack of consideration of relevant statistics.

Over the last decade, concealed carry has increased in most states and the "assault weapons" ban expired. Prophets of doom predicted "the return of the wild wild west". Dr John Lott published an analysis on the topic about a week or two back. Not only have statistics have gotten better, a larger number of crimes have been foiled when armed citizens produced a weapon but did not have to fire a shot. [Guns make a very convincing visual aid... trust me, I've done it.]

In the same vein, the long gun registry in Canada has been studied and found wanting. The one set of stats that was claimed to support it being helpful turned out to be that suicides by gun dropped.

What that study failed to mention was that suicides overall remained constant, meaning suicide by other means rose. If the guy kills himself, he's dead regardless, so the bottom line is the gun registry didnt ae any affect on the one bright area in the study.

While I realize your answer was but one of a series of a dozen or so consecutive posts at 60 second intervals and couldnt have much thought process involved... if you make a statement telling us "look at the past few years" ... I'd hope that would lead to stats that back your case, not stats that prove otherwise.

[Hint: Quit speed posting for count. It draws attention you dont want]

Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
March 21, 2012

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), announced today that for the first quarter 2012, the Company has received orders for more than one million units. Therefore, the Company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders.

Chief Executive Officer Michael O. Fifer made the following comments:
  • The Company's Retailer Programs that were offered from January 1, 2012 through February 29, 2012 were very successful and generated significant orders from retailers to independent wholesale distributors for Ruger firearms.
  • Year-to-date, the independent wholesale distributors placed orders with the Company for more than one million Ruger firearms.
  • Despite the Company's continuing successful efforts to increase production rates, the incoming order rate exceeds our capacity to rapidly fulfill these orders. Consequently, the Company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders.
  • The Company expects to resume the normal acceptance of orders by the end of May 2012.
The Company will announce its results and file its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the first quarter of 2012 on Tuesday, May 1, 2012, after the close of the stock market.
http://www.ruger.com/corporate/news/2012-03-21.html

Ruger is so swamped they aren't taking new orders until June!

Re: question posed in OP - all they have to do is declare a national emergency and they can do whatever the heck they want under the auspices of their national emergency powers unless long standing Presidential executive orders are struck down by the SCOTUS (fat chance IMO).

I think there is still sufficient political dissent for Congress to seriously abridge the 2nd amendment with legislation.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I'm perfectly happy with my pump 22lr rifle in the rear tool box in the back of the truck (cargo van).

Pistols should be banned.

The above ammunition has no place in a meritorious society.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 PM

Our government has a way of developing new laws or regulations that tend to slowly erode our rights......
Look at health care.......because I am old...they might decide not to pay to fix me if I break......I payed all these years......
Why should they care if I have guns?.....

Don't trust them......I don't...

Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Why should they care if I have guns?.....

Don't trust them......I don't...
They care about you having guns because they trust you less than you trust them.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:24 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post

I'm perfectly happy with my pump 22lr rifle in the rear tool box in the back of the truck (cargo van).

No offense, but just because you have a certain piece for a certain use, doesn't mean that anyone's firearms outside of that should be banned.

I can't carry a rifle everywhere I go, especially when I'm doing chores. A pistol is much easier to strap on. If there's a coyote coming up on my livestock (and I've had it happen more than once), he's not going to wait while I go back to the house for my rifle.

The fact that I own (and use) a pistol doesn't mean I'm going to go around robbing folks or anything. In my case it DOES have a place.

Besides, concealed carry laws tend to cut down on crime. But that's a whole 'nother point.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post

Do you even know what round that is or does it just look scary?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
They care about you having guns because they trust you less than you trust them.

I can pass a psych test......
wonder if they can.......

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues