Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down Your Actions In A Controversial Forum

Quote:
By now, most of us realize that most everything we say or do online is anything but private. As business owners this can be critical to the success of our businesses. With every action we take and every comment we make, we have to consider how it would look, not just to our friends and family, but to our potential customers and clients.http://blog.v7n.com/2012/03/26/with-...ction-we-take/
After reading the V7N blog post above, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Are you concerned with your online reputation?

Do you use caution with your online comments?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM

Before and after reading the above post, I am concerned with my online reputation. I sometimes comment freely through email, phone, or in person (cautious with email), but try to project the positive in my commenting. I abstain from political, religious, and otherwise cotroversial topics and save that for a closed circle of people with varying opinions. This is my business and most of my customers could not care less what I think about their important issues......unless it means they can change my mind.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
v7n Mentor

Not to mention the insurance companies that may check us out, potential employers, maybe a loan officer, the parents of the kid our kid wants to get engaged to ... the possibilities for checking people out are pretty unlimited I think.

And the more I learn about navigating online, the more I realize just how easy it is to find info on people.

I don't think I particularly censor my opinions, no. If someone decides they can't work with me somewhere down the line because of something I believe well ... I probably didn't want to work with them anyway. I don't worry about things like that.

I *DO* take care in certain things. I have censored my comments because someone MIGHT be able to identify the person or business I wanted to comment about, and I didn't want to put a mark on their reputation that might not be deserved years down the road (even though what I had at first thought to say was true).

As for how I look? Well, I guess I try to be true to what I believe. You're going to get that anyway if you deal with me in any capacity down the road and ask me about it. If there's something I have to lie about in order to be accepted well ... it's not worth it to me.

Especially as far as jobs/clients and such are concerned. I've had enough experience living poor that I can handle that a lot better than living with myself if I try to be someone I'm not.

I came a lot closer to censoring myself online when custody was an issue and if I had said the sky was blue, it would have come back to bite me somehow.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

I am who I am and all my domains are openly registered so determining who I am, where I live and the size of my ..... is probably not a problem.

I always try to maintain a friendly style but at times I do say what I think. Some times those are not positive statements. They are never hate or racial; I don't subscribe to either of those or any other prejudice. I do believe, ' if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is most likely a duck'.

In most almost all cases, I would say the same thing to your face unless we were drinking and playing pool; I hate dodging swing pool cues.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
Being A Better Wife

Well since my mom is the admin
I'd have to keep my posts respectful, even if I didn't care about my reputation.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyW View Post
I'd have to keep my posts respectful, even if I didn't care about my reputation.
LOLOLOLOLOL! You crack me up!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyW View Post
Oh come on, where's your sense of adventure?

Ok Cricket I know, I was just leaving this thread anyway! ;-)

Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

I mean what I say and I say what I mean, except when I'm being mean, the instances of which number far below the mean of my total posts.

Also, don't drink and type.

Last edited by Bernard; 03-29-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think about what I put in print and what I text.

I remember the old saying about... if you wouldn't put a comment in the newspaper, don't write it.

Well, I try hard not to say it either.

I guess I don't want to share all the darkest parts of myself with the world so I do filter what I display publicly.

That's common sense and courtesy. I do think that if I were hateful and bitter it would more than likely have an affect on my business. Just doesn't mix with something so festive. And I tend to take the Christ in Christmas rather seriously. So my words should reflect that.

So, I guess it's more than business and it's more than internet reputation - as important as those things are to me. I'm not really one for, "Here I am - take it or leave it." I guess that while I must be true to my core values and beliefs, I don't have to let it all hang out.

So that keeps me nice.

(That being said, I love a rousing respectful debate.)

Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

My former employer well before the Internet existed used to say, "If you screw up or do something stupid would you rather have it reported on TV or the newspaper?" His reasoning was one comes and goes in 30 seconds the other hangs around forever.

Once you make an ass out yourself online it is up front and personal and it is sticker than a newspaper ever was.

This was also when cable news was Ted Turner's dream. Now they play the darn clip for days.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

My online persona is no different than my real life persona, so if they don't like the me they meet online they wont wanna deal with me, and that oughta save 'em some time.

Guess it's fortunate that I'm all soft n fuzzy & loveable in real life too, just like here on the net. How i pity the less charming.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
My online persona is no different than my real life persona, so if they don't like the me they meet online they wont wanna deal with me, and that oughta save 'em some time.

Guess it's fortunate that I'm all soft n fuzzy & loveable in real life too, just like here on the net. How i pity the less charming.
I've actually spent some time with Rob and I can attest to the fact that he is truly Soft, fuzzy and lovable. <mmm..... in a platonic lovable sort of way....>

Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Are you concerned with your online reputation?
Not really, like any other reputation it will change over time. Online reputation tells me what random (mostly unknown) people think of me; it gives a sense of impression on my ideas and how they reflect on generally accepted views. The opinion of known people I take more seriously, since they have insight into my character.

Quote:
Do you use caution with your online comments?
The answer is no, I pretty much say what I would say in real life.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues