Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down What Is The Purpose of Government?

What do YOU feel is the purpose of government?

Please explain why you feel that way.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
v7n Mentor

Imho, the practical purpose is to create a good business climate and high quality of life for the citizens. On a more philosophical note, the purpose would protecting the people from the negative aspects of human nature via laws and rules established by the society. When I take a look on recent political events throughout the world, one could say politics turned into a race for power and searching for more creative ways to bend the rules which they where supposed to protect and uphold.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

The role of government is to maintain law and order, establish standards for trade, do public works that individual would be unlikly to perform, protect the group from other groups that might cause harm, and to provide emergency assistance when needed.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
No Longer Active

Here is a possibility...

Quote:
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Here is a possibility...

Quote:
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Where did you get that old idea from???

Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

In an ideal situation you are right Cricket,though sadly as has been seen time and time again, we are not living in those times anymore and it seems like the governments role has switched from protecting the people to controlling the people.

This phase has switched mainly due to knowledge. Basically nowadays it is a little more difficult for governments to convince society of what is good for them due to things like the internet, the news etc and so they have to find other ways of controlling people, be it sneaking policies in via the back door etc.

So to answer your question, the governments role nowadays has become to control society and mould it into how it feels best suits the governments system, whilst the people work for it, though under the illusion that it works for the people.

Though your comment is correct and it should be the other way around.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

The function of government is to take control of it's citizens and use them to the advantage of government.
(Just going by what I've seen over the last decade or so)

Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Here is a possibility...
Quote:
Love this. so that covers the legal system, the police force and national guard, the military, staying out of the way of the citizenry and promote the freedom and ensure liberty for everyone.

Looks like these 52 words sum it up. Especially when you sing it to the song from School House Rock.

[YT]30OyU4O80i4[/YT]

I also like this quote from Thomas Jefferson related to the function of government:

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

I guess I should try harder to come up with my own assessment in my own words but ... only one cup of coffee so far this morning.

Last edited by txshellie; 03-29-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: I always mess up the youtube tag....

Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Here is a possibility...We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Where did you get that? Some of the new 'writers' in Washington, if you'd believe them, would call this a work of fiction to be changed at will.

I agree with the above approved message and also with what KJU and Nealrm have stated as their opinions on what a government should be. My addition would be the levying of taxes to pay for all said works and also to keep the State from descending into anarchy by keeping order, which has been stated but these are my own words as I see it.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
In an ideal situation you are right Cricket,though sadly as has been seen time and time again, we are not living in those times anymore and it seems like the governments role has switched from protecting the people to controlling the people.

This phase has switched mainly due to knowledge. Basically nowadays it is a little more difficult for governments to convince society of what is good for them due to things like the internet, the news etc and so they have to find other ways of controlling people, be it sneaking policies in via the back door etc.

So to answer your question, the governments role nowadays has become to control society and mould it into how it feels best suits the governments system, whilst the people work for it, though under the illusion that it works for the people.
Tried to snip this down, but it's all relevant.

I agree with Cricket, that WAS our government's established purpose. And I still think it falls under the category of "a good idea".

I also agree that their role has changed, and it has become one of controlling the people, and when it can, exploiting them.

I disagree on the cause though. I do NOT think education has caused this turn-around. In fact, I would argue the opposite. I think it is a LACK of education in this society (the US) that has fueled it.

I attended elementary school in the 70s, and what I was taught in terms of history, government, and related topics was heavily watered down from what was taught in the past.

When I see the curriculum of schools today, the truth is even MORE watered down, and downright rewritten in some cases.

I didn't learn many truths of history until I was teaching myself, and did the research to put together my own curriculum. What I learned amazed me time and again. And saddened me, now that I see the principles on which we were originally founded and what we fought for, and how they have been eroded.

I don't think it's the cause of any accident. I don't think it's because the internet has opened people's eyes and now the government can no longer keep them safe by the old means. I think that people are not aware of what this country was meant to stand for, and simply accept what is commonly publicized in place of the truth. It seems to me like the average person has no idea of the underpinnings of our government, even if they try to argue the point, they simply parrot what they've heard.

But the purpose of government? I think some really good answers have been given. I'd agree 100% ... protect the nation as a whole, provide infrastructure, establish trade policy, and so on.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote:

We must have gone astray somewhere along the way. Other than the common defense I am not sure the government is accomplishing any of the other objectives.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Quote:
We must have gone astray somewhere along the way. Other than the common defense I am not sure the government is accomplishing any of the other objectives.
You're right.

Somewhere we started favoring "fair" over "justice", division over unity, and welfare over liberty.

I'm glad that our government knows best.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

OK - too much belly aching about the government. While it might not be perfect, what we have going on here is better than what the rest of the world has. Our biggest problem is that too many people send too much time watching the negative media reports, or the extremely negative nuts on the web or radio, and then think that is the whole truth. They have been brainwashed so bad, they can no longer open their owns eyes and see the good around them.

Of for "the loss of liberties". I hear this every time that someone does get to do exactly what they want to do. I reminds me of my 6 year old screaming that life isn't fair. Yes, they could do more in the 1700's than now. Of course your nearest neighbor was 20 miles and a full day away. Nothing you could do would effect him. Now, your nearest neighbor is 20 feet away. So your action directly effect others, so you need to curb your actions out of respect to others. A good example: at one time the highways had no posted speed limits. You drove the speed you though was safe. That worked OK when that cars were spread far apart. Now, the is not possible. There are just to many cars on the road. Many say that the government took that liberty away, no population growth made that liberty impossible.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
OK - too much belly aching about the government. While it might not be perfect, what we have going on here is better than what the rest of the world has. Our biggest problem is that too many people send too much time watching the negative media reports, or the extremely negative nuts on the web or radio, and then think that is the whole truth. They have been brainwashed so bad, they can no longer open their owns eyes and see the good around them.

I am going to agree with your first point. If I thought there was someplace better, I would be there. As a matter of fact we agree quite often here at the forum; but tonight is not one of those times.

I must disagree with you second point based on personal observations. I rarely listen to talk radio or the news because they both tend to spike my blood pressure. Using my two ears, eyes and an unpolluted mind filled with garbage from either side, I see a country in deep do do. Everyone wants a check, no one wants to work and a large majority of them finagle a dole from the government.

Do they use those handouts to buy housing or food? Nope the buy cell phones, cable TV, smokes, dope and whatever else their wicked little hearts desire. Then I am the bad guy when I throw their worthless butts on the curb.

I am an old fat white guy, a completely unprotected species. Everyone has a recently passed bill of special rights except for me. You can rent a house from me and have dog sex in the living room and there is not a damn thing I can do about it if you are on the special list. My tax dollars will pay for you attorney to sue me.

The Great Society is government run amok. If your worthless butt won't work; you should stave to death. If you have kids, they should be taken and given to someone who will treat them with the love they deserve. It does not take a village to raise a child, it only takes adults who give a damn.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

To organize the society in a right way. Simply to say, Government should be like parents to the country (they have to look after many things like health, wealth, education etc). However, not all governments in all countries doing so, however for government i have that type of thought.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
OK - too much belly aching about the government. While it might not be perfect, what we have going on here is better than what the rest of the world has. Our biggest problem is that too many people send too much time watching the negative media reports, or the extremely negative nuts on the web or radio, and then think that is the whole truth.
I understand your sentiments. I'm not usually one to dwell too long on complaints, but that seems to be what is largely generated in the "controversial social issues" area here, and some are topics I like to talk about so that comes with the territory.

But I too have to disagree with your second point. I haven't watched TV news in years (I don't even have real reception), and I don't listen to radio news either. My first run-in over the FDA's over-reaching laws, for example, came from a friend of mine who was being railroaded by the local health authority. I saw the way they twisted the facts (two people got sick, who lived in the same house and only one of them had eaten a product from her farm, and yet ... the FDA said they did not eat anything in common except her product ... must be hard to live in a house with someone and never eat each other's food); I saw the way they tried to force her to fill out their question forms (not that they could actually legally force her to do it at that point) and how the questions were purposely misleading and open to "reinterpretation". And that was not my only personal experience with the FDA.

It is only now, a few years later, that I see people post links to news stories, and I read them online. I don't have personal knowledge of every case, but it certainly fits with my experience of the FDA, so I tend to believe the stories. Now, I DO wish they were written a little more objectively, and without deliberate attempts to incite an emotional response. Honestly, the "news" on the side of what I agree with is often as embarrassingly slanted as that I would take exception to. Both sides have an agenda, and they are trying to promote it. I wish they wouldn't do that. When they are reporting TRUE FACTS, to me they have more credibility if they stand on the facts and stop trying to twist people's emotions. I don't get to decide, though.

But no, I see a lot of people who DO just listen to the media, and parrot what they hear. Personally, I have a great aversion to looking foolish (though goodness knows I do make mistakes) ... but I do my best to be intellectually honest in all things.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM
No Longer Active

So let me ask all y'all this - what is NOT the purpose of the government?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry guys, I wasn't shooting at you, just society as a whole. (spending too many late nights trying to get a website on a new server tends to make my remarks a little blunt). I do believe that society is spending too much time as a whole watching TV and not enough time living. We shut off our sat TV several months ago, even before that I didn't watch the news. If I wanted news, I read about it.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Sorry guys, I wasn't shooting at you, just society as a whole. (spending too many late nights trying to get a website on a new server tends to make my remarks a little blunt). I do believe that society is spending too much time as a whole watching TV and not enough time living. We shut off our sat TV several months ago, even before that I didn't watch the news. If I wanted news, I read about it.
No problem, I was hoping you didn't take my disagreement too personally, especially since I saw I wasn't the first.

I pretty much stopped watching TV news 16 years ago. And cut off my cable 3 years ago; haven't had any real reception since then.

I do have Netflix though.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

The government shouldn't protect sane people from making mistakes. Nor should it try to completely shield people from the results of those mistakes. It shouldn't be a means of wealth redistribution. It shouldn't setup laws that make it more of a crime to hurt one type of person that other.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues