Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

One night stand. .do you find it ethical?

What do you thing is it morally and ethically correct?what if your partner or spouse confessed about his/her one night stand?will you forgive or part ways?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 PM
v7n Mentor

Are you asking if it's morally and ethically correct for someone in a marriage to have a one-night stand outside of marriage?

IMO, simply, no. Adultery is adultery.

Forgive or part ways? That would depend on a lot of things. Trust is hard to earn back, and I think it's a vital part of a relationship. Personally I believe in fighting for a marriage, but as I said, it depends. Way too complex a question to give a flat either/or answer.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 AM

Play by the "rules" ...or walk away.....(legally)......
At 68...I do not have time to cheat on my wonderful wife....too busy having fun and enjoying life...
much of which I owe to her...)

Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 AM
v7n Mentor

I think the one who cheated and then confessed is the one who has the moral issues.
The one who was cheated on and then confessed to has been wronged twice but
has no moral issue. They simply have a practical need to decide how they will respond.
What course would make them Happiest, not Ethics, should guide their decision.

Rabble Park

Last edited by rabble; 03-30-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

At first when I read the title, I thought it was referring to whether just having a one night stand was unethical or not within itself. To that I say no, two consenting adults can participate in that if they so choose. Morally, some will call this foul, while others simply do not. Depends on your social conservative or liberal standpoint.

Now as to whether it is moral or ethical to have extramarital sex. I personally find it unethical to have an affair and would never do that, but not everyone seems to agree. That's their right. However as to the morality of it all, I find it a much more complex issue. Marriage can be viewed both within the parameters of religion and state law. Therefore, it really depends on whether the couple in question are religious or spiritual or not. An affair or single cheating event to me is always unethical, but not always immoral if that makes sense.

Finally, should people that have been admitted to being cheated on stay together? It really is for them to decide and like Inspired said, I believe in fighting to keep a marriage together. It's way to easy to get a divorce these days and most people just quit trying way too early, but that's for another topic. However, personally I don't think that I could stay in a marriage that doesn't have that level of trust, which is one of my 5 major tenets to a successful relationship. The others being loyalty (yes, a separate concept than trust such as standing up for your spouse and having their back and fighting for the marriage), communication, sexuality, and affection. I know, again slightly off topic.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I am much concerned about its ethical aspect.Morallity, to me is related to individuals and every individual has different moral values but ethics relate to society as a whole

Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfyre7896 View Post
An affair or single cheating event to me is always unethical, but not always immoral if that makes sense.
Must admit, I was slightly tempted to ask you if you'd care to explain this, when I first read it. I'm still tempted, after revisiting the thread due to new responses.

Not debating you, just curious. If you have the time and would care to elaborate, I'd just be curious as to your explanation.

I like your "list" at the end of that post, btw. Sorry, I already snipped it, but the criteria is good. I'd probably add a few more to it, but that IS going off topic.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Neither. We have three homes. I'll just live where he doesn't.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post
Must admit, I was slightly tempted to ask you if you'd care to explain this, when I first read it. I'm still tempted, after revisiting the thread due to new responses.

Not debating you, just curious. If you have the time and would care to elaborate, I'd just be curious as to your explanation.

I like your "list" at the end of that post, btw. Sorry, I already snipped it, but the criteria is good. I'd probably add a few more to it, but that IS going off topic.
I'm glad that you asked rather than just taking it as wrong or right depending on your views and perception of it. Basically, I differentiate between ethics and morals. Ethics are something that is either detrimental to society or to individuals. Having a huge alcoholic addiction and/or being a big gambleaholic are unethical in the sense that they hurt those around you if you lose your job and/or blow all of your money. It can also be a sense of right or wrong, but more towards what is best for you and those around you while avoiding questionable behaviors that can hurt others and be a detriment.

However, I view morals as both a religious point and also a sense of good vs. bad. So within this instance, committing adultery is unethical because it hurts not only your spouse and possibly kids if there is a divorce, but also it can hurt yourself through possible pain and grief over what has been committed or through a divorce. I even view it as sort of selling yourself out in a sense, such as violating your own principles and ethics. However, on a moral note, not everyone believes in God or God's laws that adultery is wrong based on religious views and doctrine. Also, are the people that cheat necessarily *bad* people for committing such?

So, as it can hurt the people actually involved in the cheating as well as those immediate to it, family, it would be considered unethical. However, judging the people as *bad* other than the act while possibly violating God's commandment of not cheating is something that is highly speculative and is a value judgment rather than a more agreed upon ethical violation.

I hope this makes sense. I'm essentially just differentiating between ethics, something that can directly hurt people tangibly, and morals which I view as a good/bad, religious value judgment. However, I also realize that ethics are based on philosophy and many consider ethics and morals synonymous. To me though, ethics are more a secular point that more directly affects something or someone.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
v7n Mentor

For a spouse to have an affair (one night or not) would clearly state that there is a problem with the marriage and/or individual. I have been married for 16 years. There have been many ups and downs, but our love has never wavered, so we got through it. Cheating or even the urge to cheat was never an issue. Why? The love is real.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:09 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Searchbliss, while I do agree with your assertion that cheating is a result of problems within the relationship and even per the extent of the love, that isn't what we're discussing here. Beyond any reasons why, because the reasons are numerous, do you find cheating and adultery to be ethical, unethical, and/or immoral?
Let us hear what you think on that subject and expound upon the reasons you find so.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:56 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks for the answer, Sunfyre. I see where you are coming from and I understand.

More complete answer, since the OP's question mentioned both morals and ethics.

Guess I tend not to differentiate, for the most part, as I see moral law as generally upholding what is good for everyone involved but that really would be a rabbit trail.

Hope y'all are ok after the weather today. I heard there were no serious injuries anywhere, but it sure did mix things up for a lot of folks.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Somehow, there weren't any serious injuries although there is damage all over, including Mayor Robert Cluck of Arlington declaring the city a disaster zone. I think he just wants state funds if you ask me. Some buildings sustained a lot of damage, but it wasn't as prevalent as it sounds. Mostly trees uprooted and some buildings destroyed, but not THAT many. I was watching the news when a tornado near Dallas was swirling semi trailers around like paper toys. Pretty wild.

Thanks for the concern. Did you actually get anything harsh out East seeing as most of the wickedest weather happens in Texas not near big cities.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfyre7896 View Post
Somehow, there weren't any serious injuries although there is damage all over, including Mayor Robert Cluck of Arlington declaring the city a disaster zone. I think he just wants state funds if you ask me. Some buildings sustained a lot of damage, but it wasn't as prevalent as it sounds. Mostly trees uprooted and some buildings destroyed, but not THAT many. I was watching the news when a tornado near Dallas was swirling semi trailers around like paper toys. Pretty wild.

Thanks for the concern. Did you actually get anything harsh out East seeing as most of the wickedest weather happens in Texas not near big cities.

I wondered when I heard so quickly that he had declared a disaster zone. Can't really tell from the news ... of course they show the damage but you can't tell how prevalent it is. I saw worse damage to buildings in Forney, but ... well, I only saw what they chose to show of course.

A lot of the footage with semis was wild, wasn't it?

Didn't get much here really. I think I was far enough south to be out of the worst of it. Last year was worse ... saw a lot of stuff blown around and tornadoes came very close. This time around the worst I got was a bunch of smallish hail ... bigger than peas but smaller than golf balls. That and a bunch of icy water down the back while I was trying to turn on the faucet to water the rabbits. I thought I was going to get a cold from being out there in it, but I'm fine now. Good old orange juice and vitamin C. Works for me.

I'm thankful given the number of tornadoes and the amount of damage that there were no serious injuries or deaths. We can do without a scenario like we had last year.

Tornadoes and earthquakes are the two natural disasters that scare me. Especially tornadoes. They are far too unpredictable. Must say the weather service has gotten a lot better at letting us know what's going on. Still, no real way to prepare or be safe if it turns out to be a big one headed for you. Nope, don't like tornadoes. Give me a hurricane any day. One without tornadoes, LOL.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:02 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'd say that about maybe 2% to 4% of the metroplex sustained any damage and about 1% actually sustained major damage. There were supposedly 13 tornadoes with a couple of F2's, including the one near Lancaster with the semi footage, and the F3 near Forney. Yet, that's still a lot of houses and buildings total because there are so many in all.

However, what amazes me is that it has to be some kind of miracle that no one died. It seems like even in small town tornadoes, someone dies quite often in terms of number of times. People also die from cold and heat all the time. There are so many homeless. But for 13 tornadoes in a densely populated DFW, I just don't see how not one person died, but I'm glad.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

one night stand between two consenting adults, both of whom are not married and both are of legal age to me is fine. A child born out of this must be acknowledged and supported. one night stand, on the other hand where one or both is married or have an existing relationship or either party not of legal age to me is morally and ethically not acceptable and unfair.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywibes View Post
What do you thing is it morally and ethically correct?what if your partner or spouse confessed about his/her one night stand?will you forgive or part ways?
They say that with true love, it's the thought that counts and I must say that thinking about my loved one whilst sleeping with someone else really does go a long way towards easing the mental burden one could potentially carry and nevermind about ethics, i'd go as far as to say that it is a total compliment for my partner

Ok, this post is actually a joke as I have no intention of waking up with parts of me missing!!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Straight talking guys like you should not post threads with hidden text. I damn near chked to death here reading those clear lines 3 times.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
They say that with true love, it's the thought that counts and I must say that thinking about my loved one whilst sleeping with someone else really does go a long way towards easing the mental burden one could potentially carry and nevermind about ethics, i'd go as far as to say that it is a total compliment for my partner

Ok, this post is actually a joke as I have no intention of waking up with parts of me missing!!
LOL yeah ... I saw the silver. Glad I did.

My first thought though was you go right ahead and try to tell that to your wife and let me know how that works for ya.

(Alternatively, let me know how it works for ya if she were to tell you the same thing. )

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

@ Inspired Ink - Would it make you feel better if I said that I really do only try to find people with the same name as her, or at least very similar?.... Now come on, if that's not showing love and consideration, then i'd really like to know what is

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Closed Thread