Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thumbs down Is America Safer?

Seeing this on a local news site tonight made me really think. Are we truly any safer today than we were on 9/11?



Quote:
IS AMERICA SAFER? The NYPD and federal authorities are trying to determine who is behind a chilling graphic which has popped up on multiple Arabic websites. The FBI says there is no specific or credible threat to New York at this time. What do you think? Is the U.S. any safer since 9/11? Does the image concern you? Kens5.com
Additional reference: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/...etic-websites/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1333337239861.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	16116  
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 AM
boxfiddler's Avatar
boxfiddler boxfiddler is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-25-10
Posts: 557
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Well, I hate to say it. But I think safety is an illusion by which we blind ourselves to the fact that we've no option but to die. I don't believe lives can be 'saved', only prolonged. Mind you, this addresses only 'material reality'.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Haley's Avatar
Haley Haley is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-07-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Are we truly any safer today than we were on 9/11?
I honestly don't think America will ever be safe. How many people hate the American Government?
Heck, at the moment, I hate the American Government.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 AM
luring's Avatar
luring luring is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 02-09-11
Posts: 531
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Actually America has created many enemies by her wrong policy. Too much pride of being a superpower is very very dangerous. Last decade we saw that America demolished the Iraq, and there was no point to attack. What about chemical weapon? Did the army find in Iraq?
As far afghanistan, they attacked and amercan government replies in foolish manner. And now america is planning to attck on Iran, and iran's fault is that they are making nuclear plant for peaceful purpose.
There are many factor that encircles america in danger. God save our world!! Amen
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I don't believe that we can live our lives in daily fear of what may or may not happen. If we allow a graphic to unsettle us, then the terrorist win without taking a single action on U.S. soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyW View Post
I honestly don't think America will ever be safe. How many people hate the American Government?
Heck, at the moment, I hate the American Government.
That is when we will have truly lost - when our young people give up on this country. No matter how bad we mess things up at times, this is still one of the greatest countries in the word with so many advantages that others can only dream of. Never give up on your ability to make a difference in the world around you. Our young people are our future!
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Haley's Avatar
Haley Haley is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-07-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
That is when we will have truly lost - when our young people give up on this country. No matter how bad we mess things up at times, this is still one of the greatest countries in the word with so many advantages that others can only dream of. Never give up on your ability to make a difference in the world around you. Our young people are our future!
I do agree we have many advantages.
However, I also see each one of those advantages disappearing everyday.
The American Government is the biggest threat to the American people that I see today.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 AM
boxfiddler's Avatar
boxfiddler boxfiddler is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-25-10
Posts: 557
iTrader: 0 / 0%
We cannot live in fear.

Singularly, or plurally. No matter our 'nation of origin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I don't believe that we can live our lives in daily fear of what may or may not happen. If we allow a graphic to unsettle us, then the terrorist win without taking a single action on U.S. soil.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 AM
GMF's Avatar
GMF GMF is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-03-11
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,213
iTrader: 0 / 0%
There is no such thing as 100% safety. Somewhere, someone will hate you, no matter what you do. You cannot purge the hate with permanent surveillance or laws. The only thing you get: Your own people start to hate you.

Safety is relative: you can get lucky and die at an old age or die in an accident or a terrorist attack. But when you always think about death and terror, the terrorists have won. THAT is terrorism. Not killing people. Fear is the weapon, and they are winning. (almost) Every law against terrorism is a win for them because they now know that you fear them.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley View Post
I do agree we have many advantages.
However, I also see each one of those advantages disappearing everyday.
The American Government is the biggest threat to the American people that I see today.
But that is exactly my point. Your age group will soon be of voting age to make a difference in your world. People in your age group can educate others and change racism, hate, and intolerance for those who are different.

Think about how the tiniest drop in water creates a ripple that keeps widening.

People in your age group will one day be the U.S. Government!

Quote:
“Be The Difference You Want To See In The World." Gandhi
Okay, I will step back off my soap box now and return to the topic at hand...
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Haley's Avatar
Haley Haley is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-07-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
People in your age group can educate others and change racism, hate, and intolerance for those who are different.
Isn't that what people in your parents' generation said about your age group?
I do get where you are coming from, but I don't even know where to START fixing the problems with this country.
Terrorists aren't even on my radar right now.
At the moment I'm wondering if tomorrow people will still even have the option to vote. How much longer until they try to take that right away too?
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley View Post
Isn't that what people in your parents' generation said about your age group?
I do get where you are coming from, but I don't even know where to START fixing the problems with this country.
Terrorists aren't even on my radar right now.
At the moment I'm wondering if tomorrow people will still even have the option to vote. How much longer until they try to take that right away too?
Oh dang it! I have to respond one more time then we have to get back to discussing if America is safer.... (smiles)

Where to start? Are you kidding me? You already make a difference in the world around you! Don't you remember when I was certain that most skaters were thugs? Now some of those very same skaters call me "mom".

Can you see how one person at a time you can change perceptions?

Take a look at your life and you will realize how many ripples you have already begun....

Now as far as this discussion about fear? I think most Americans are weary of it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Haley's Avatar
Haley Haley is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-07-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
then we have to get back to discussing if America is safer.... (smiles)
Well, getting back on topic, no I don't think America is safe. I don't think we ever were or ever will be.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
This is a very interesting report (10 years after 9/11) about this topic.

Ten Years After 9/11, How Safe Is the U.S. Against Terror Attacks?
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/terro...ion_08-31.html
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 AM
G10's Avatar
G10 G10 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 05-10-04
Location: UK - Cheshire
Posts: 11,765
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Interesting sib-discussion going on there Cricket and Haley. I see both points.

The one flaw I see in this is something that the little brat actually pointed out Cricket and that is that generation after generation, parents tell us never to give up hope and be the best we can, meanwhile generation after generation goes by and more and more rights are taken away from society.

The title of this thread got me thinking about America being safer, and I was thinking "From who exactly?"

We could be talking about possible terrorist organisations that the government keep warning us about, though if one reads between the lines, there is actually something else that could happen and that is that as the governments keep enforcing stricter rules on society and using the FEAR scare tactics to do it. Society may just turn around and say ENOUGH of going against the basic principles set up by our founders and imprisoning us in our own homes.

The way I see it is that if they keep pushing, there is another threat that will arise and that is the people turning on the government. May sound far fetched but we are seeing it happen constantly around the world and we have seen little pockets already pop up and try to make their point.

The government has to be careful with all it's draconian rules as it may not be the terrorists that it needs to fear but its own people.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Haley's Avatar
Haley Haley is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-07-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
The government has to be careful with all it's draconian rules as it may not be the terrorists that it needs to fear but its own people.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.
I'm not scared of terrorists. I'm scared of America.
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Haley's Avatar
Haley Haley is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-07-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Oh, and G10, I caught the little brat thing too
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 AM
G10's Avatar
G10 G10 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 05-10-04
Location: UK - Cheshire
Posts: 11,765
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley View Post
Oh, and G10, I caught the little brat thing too
I have no idea what you're talking about!




I'm outa here.......
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Interesting sib-discussion going on there Cricket and Haley. I see both points.

The one flaw I see in this is something that the little brat actually pointed out Cricket and that is that generation after generation, parents tell us never to give up hope and be the best we can, meanwhile generation after generation goes by and more and more rights are taken away from society.

The title of this thread got me thinking about America being safer, and I was thinking "From who exactly?"

We could be talking about possible terrorist organisations that the government keep warning us about, though if one reads between the lines, there is actually something else that could happen and that is that as the governments keep enforcing stricter rules on society and using the FEAR scare tactics to do it. Society may just turn around and say ENOUGH of going against the basic principles set up by our founders and imprisoning us in our own homes.

The way I see it is that if they keep pushing, there is another threat that will arise and that is the people turning on the government. May sound far fetched but we are seeing it happen constantly around the world and we have seen little pockets already pop up and try to make their point.

The government has to be careful with all it's draconian rules as it may not be the terrorists that it needs to fear but its own people.
I both agree and disagree. Yeah, I am a girl, so live with it!

Yes, every generation tells the next generation the same thing, but the truth is we have made huge strides with every generation. When I was a child we were busy teaching our parents to be color blind.

Look what this generation has already taught us! Young people are not afraid to stand up for what is right and to speak out when things are wrong!

I do however fully agree that we are watching many of our freedoms disappear and it time for all Americans to educate themselves on the issues so they can make an educated decision with their vote.

To bring this all together with the topic at hand, I think we have exchanged many of our freedoms for what we believed to be security and we can't always have it both ways. People despise TSA when it comes to going through security checks but they sure want to be certain the guy sitting next to them went through all of the security checks. See what I mean?
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 AM
joejoe joejoe is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-11-11
Posts: 254
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I suppose it depends whether you truly believe there is a genuine threat from 'islamic terrorists' or not... is it acceptable to be forced to trade liberty for supposed security?
 
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 AM
robjones's Avatar
robjones robjones is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 09-15-09
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,680
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by g10
The government has to be careful with all it's draconian rules as it may not be the terrorists that it needs to fear but its own people.
Kinda reminds me of why I quit using Norton Anti-virus on various machines. Couldn't help but get the impression that with all the added delays, intrusions and extra hoops it was making my computing experience worse than the stuff it was trying to protect me from couldve done.

I doubt having the TSA confiscating fingernail clippers and fondling starlets, grandmothers and sitting members of congress is doing a damned thing for safety, but on the bright side if an airline passenger tried a repeat of the 911 routine he'd have his butt kicked by every passenger on the plane within reach before he could make it to the cockpit.

Probably just a matter of time before something goes boom aboard a plane. Not certain that sorta thing will ever be totally contained, but I'm pretty sure the TSA isnt much of a hurdle.

But most likely whatever the next big foreign terrorist event on US soil is, it'll involve something entering the country in an unchecked shipping container and wont have anything to do with a plane. We've had a decade off during which a number of attempts have been foiled, but on a lot of those we got lucky.

World has always been a dangerous place anyway, this is just another form. Christianity went thru the inquisition phase for a few hundred years and it made this look like a picnic by comparison. Salem witch trials were pretty much the last gasp of that on this continent.

Basically we can deal with this permutation of danger the best we can, but as G10 alluded, any measures that came close to totally shutting it down would be as bad as giving the terrorists control. Not really interested in living in that kinda police state, so I'm willing to take my chances a little less safe.
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gold Silver And Commodities Likely Safer Franc Tireur Controversial Social Issues 0 11-18-2010 08:36 AM
Bystander Effect: You think you’re safer with a crowd of people around? Think again. micoblanco Forum Lobby 33 07-08-2009 04:50 PM
Hello, America, how are you,,, intruth Forum Lobby 21 02-13-2008 05:04 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC