Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Question More Government Or Less?

This article is from Natural News and it raises some interesting points. I agree with most of what he says. I have felt that way for years. If someone wants to do drugs as long as it doesn't hurt someone else (but we know that doesn't happen) either it raises crimes or hurts their kids because they are mistreating them. There in lies the problems. As he expresses repeatedly and is key. AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HURT SOMEONE ELSE.

The philosophy of freedom: Much more than demanding government get out of our lives, you must first get the tyranny out of your own heart

Quote:
Do you agree with this statement? Government has no business telling us what to drink, what to eat, what kind of medicine we should take, what to smoke, what to farm, or how to run our private lives.

These are all elements of individual liberty or what you might call personal freedom. They are all part of the bigger push to get Big Government off our backs and out of our lives. But do the people who call for individual liberty really believe in it themselves? Or are they carrying around a sharp contradiction in their own beliefs?

Consider the following statements:
Continued at: http://www.naturalnews.com/035478_fr...hilosophy.html

Last edited by snakeair; 04-14-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Just because something has the potential to cause harm, it does not necessarily follow that it WILL cause harm and should not be treated as such.
When a crime is committed, prosecute the crime, but don't villify an act that may or may not have lead to it.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Really this is not over big government but over where one persons rights starts and another ends, about respect for your neighbors and government sponsorship of behaviors.

If you want to "urinate on [your] fig plants", you need to do so in a manner that shows respect for your neighbors. Most people don't want to look out their window and see someone urinating. So if you choose to live in a city, then that is a behavior that should be avoided. Your "right" to urinate outside ends when it starts effecting the right of others. The goes for not mowing your yard and growing a garden in your front yard. Your right to do those things ends when it starts effecting my property values. You chose to live in a subdivision, so you need to show respect for your neighbor. Now none of these apply if you live out in the country. Your unmowed lawn and front yard garden is not going to effect others. So enjoy.

What two (or more) adult want to do in a bedroom is none of my business. I don't really care or want to know. However, that ends the moment that someone want the government to force another person or company to act in a specific way in regard to those activities or to grant tax benefits with regards to those activities. Once either of those occur, all taxpayers have the right to express their views. If you want freedom in the bedroom, keep the bedroom activities in the bedroom.

An other item the typically comes up in these type of discussion is smoking tobacco. Now, I don't care if you smoke. Smoke until you turn blue due to CO poisoning. I don't care. But when you do that in public you take away my right to health. I and the other 10 non-smokers that you are harming have the right to protect our right to health by forcing you to not smoke. This isn't the "government" taking away your right to smoke, it is other protecting their right to health.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues