Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 AM
v7n Mentor

Welcome to the GSA - Here's your credit card and party hat

The GSA is the administration arm of the government. They do purchasing, real estate management, spending oversight, and lots of other sober functions. See http://www.gsa.gov/

They are in the news now... doing everything but taking bags of tax dollars and rolling around in hotel suite beds in the cash. They have been partying with tax payer dollars.

A nifty awards program was created, the Top Hat program
...and the guys in charge of it proceeded to buy $200,000 in cool toys and award them mostly to, who else, each other.

They threw a big self congratulatory bash in Vegas
... and spent roughly $130,000 just in planning sessions for their own party, sending 15 people to Vegas to do a dry run. Then they dropped $823k or so on the party. This "awards ceremony" had 300 attendees. http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...as-vegas-event

They even gave one award to the guy that made a rap video joking about the lavish spending they'd recently been caught doing. It mentioned they'd never be under Office of Inspector General Investigation. [Guess again]

[YT]CL-fZKxINdA[/YT]

Even invited personal friends to the Vegas "awards ceremony
But hey, they taxpayers are footing the bill, why not?
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/16/politi...ing/index.html
Quote:
"In one e-mail," Cummings began, "Mr. Neely invited personal friends to the conference, writing, and I quote -- and this is simply incredible -- quote: 'We'll get you guys a room near us, and we'll pick up the room tab. Could be a blast.' End of quote. He then went on and wrote this -- 'I know I'm bad, but as Deb and I often say, why not enjoy it while we have it and while we can. Ain't gonna last forever.' End of quote. Well, Mr. Neely it stops now."
Jeff Neely threw a sub-party in a suite
One of the big boys of the group wasnt satisfied with the excess, so he had a sub party in his suite. He later told the Inspector General's office the $2700 taxpayer funded party in his suite was "an awards banquet".

See http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/5...rence.html.csp
Quote:
The investigator then confronted Neely with his email saying that he and his wife "are hosting a party in our loft room. There will be wine and beer and some munchies...." There was no mention of awards.
A group went to Hawaii for a ribbon cutting
They spent 7 days, so they could attend a 1 hour ribbon cutting for an FBI facility. Important government biz doncha know. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ibbon-cutting/

Interns were sent on lavish trips to Palm Springs
Hey, why not let them know what a great place this is? The taxpayers send in money and we spend it. What's not to like? http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/...rn-conference/

The head of the GSA, the one that approved a 9 grand bonus for the guy that invited buddies along to steal from the government, resigned. Neely is taking the fifth amendment before a congressional panel.

Basically as the video shows, the top-down culture of corruption was not so much a secret as an internal joke. Just sad. I'm really not interested in hearing the government complain about revenue problems. They ARE our revenue problem.

Last edited by robjones; 04-17-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Wouldn't it be nice if Mr. Neely reimbursed the taxpayers for his spending spree?
Could that be part of some sort of agreement between him and the state, so as to discourage others from repeating his mistakes?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM
v7n Mentor

That'd be nice, although he wasnt alone. Neely was the most visible symptom, and he'll get the brunt of the heat because he was so damned obvious in his larceny... but he was the symptom, not the problem itself. Have to wonder at the judgment of the director of the GSA giving him a bonus when a subordinate was saying not to because of this type of thing.

There was a systemic pattern of corruption in the GSA up and down the line. Awards were given that were outside stated limits, business travel amounted to taxpayer funded vacations, people got government rates on hotels and were reimbursed for full fare, people in charge of awards programs awarded themselves with goodies.

Now there are investigations in progress about kickbacks... and given the scope of their budget that will probably dwarf the paltry figures seen thus far.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Clearly they didn't realize the place to be was in the secret service where they can spend a week partying in Columbia and bringing in hookers. (smirk)

Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

On the serious side, I have to wonder if an independent audit (if that is even possible) of the United States government would reveal enough inconsistencies to pay for our country's debt...

Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
v7n Mentor

Let's just say that if the government only spent what it needed to we'd be in a helluvalot better shape than we're in.

Neely might as well not have taken the 5th. Doing so when charges havent been filed is a pretty sure way of drawing attention to one's guilt. It's like putting a real X over the buried treasure... just tell's 'em where to dig.

Of the generous list of prizes the GSA was to award there were a boatload of ipods. Forty of them were stolen. They've checked to see where the itunes are being downloaded, and one address that comes up is Neely's.

Add to that he's already on record for several other items that are pure and simple theft, and he's probably going to get indicted. Saying "Hey, cmon, everyone does it" isnt a legal defense.

Hell, he took his wife on a government funded multi-week vacation in the South Pacific for her birthday present. That's not just "bad behavior", that is theft. There are plenty of people that could have taken THEIR wife to the south Pacific with their own money if they didnt have to send it in so guys like Neely can act like its theirs.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hey! What are you complaining about? Everybody knows GSA stands for the Grand Soiree Administration.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 AM

I would suggest NOT using the secret service to investigate.....

Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

And of course... we have the reaction of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid:

Reid to Lawmaker Leading GSA Probe: ‘Get a Life’

Apparently saying anything negative of the Obama appointees and their subordinates is just partisan hackery. How dare we as citizens be appalled at the nice GSA people who used tax dollars to feather their nests.

Maybe it violates the "Clap your hands if you believe" clause of the US Constitution? Oh wait, that was in Peter Pan. Screw Harry Reid and his ilk, and thanks God for the guys that are shining a light on the a##holes squandering the publics money.

It isn't your right to steal just because you're in DC, so Harry...Get a life.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
Let's just say that if the government only spent what it needed to we'd be in a helluvalot better shape than we're in.
Wouldn't that be nice payday for the citizens paying the tab.
If that could happen...we wouldn't have anything to to talk about anymore.

I really came here looking for hookers...wanted to see what kinda quality they get for that kinda money

Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
On the serious side, I have to wonder if an independent audit (if that is even possible) of the United States government would reveal enough inconsistencies to pay for our country's debt...
I think it would. For example, I saw a report that said that medicare fraud in Miami was bigger than the drug trade... think of all the actual medicare that could pay for.

The government is a hydra... cut off one head and two takes it's place.

I hope there are a lot of indictments in this case. It's ridiculous.

I just sent in a check to the government and there are quite a few things I'd rather do with it than sponsor state paid overnight trips for federal employees.... ever.

It's just disheartening. When I worked with government contractors, I was not even allowed to buy them lunch.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues