Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Did people really live to be hundreds of years old?

Ancient literature, notably the Bible, speaks about people living to be hundreds of years old. One man in particular, Methuselah, living to be well over 900 years old.

Some say this is simply folklore, exaggerations of some sort by those who wrote it. Or they say it's symbolic, a literary tool to communicate the message of humanity's gradual decline.

Others claim that it's literal and people did live that long in the past, but now they don't because humans have become less perfect over the centuries (bloodlines ever diluting down from the perfect Adam and Eve). Or it's said that a protective "canopy" or "sphere" of water fell from the atmosphere during "The Flood" thus exposing the earth to eroding and aging elements which have shortened human lifespan.

What do you think, and why?

Don't forget the "why" part now!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

I would offer the suggestion that that the old testament was handed down for centuries in oral format before it was written down. Try this game at a party; whisper two sentences into the first person's ear and continue around the room, then see what the message sounds like when the 15th person repeats it out loud.

Then I suppose it is possible that the alien DNA got diluted over the span of time allowing the monkey genes to reassert themselves.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

According to Ayurveda, a man can can live up to 200 years. I think more than that is not possible. I have also heard same stories that men lived for 900 years in ancient time but I think that is not possible.

In my opinion, these are just old mythical stories and nothing else.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 PM

I have been a fan of syfi since I was a young lad......about 120 years ago....that is mileage years....LOL

Stories that are passed on sometime lose facts in the passing or perhaps are interpreted differently by different people...

Or maybe change in translation from launguage to language....IMO...

Then there is the theory of the "beings" from outer space.....?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Black Russians from space?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I believe living too much is possible, but an unfair practice... LOL.

And yeah, the theory of space invasion is really interesting. Too many facts show that humans are not native to the planet, and - I have to admit, same time I see decent black holes and gaps in Darwinist theory.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://www.web2.cnre.vt.edu/4h/bigtree/TreeAge.htm

Tree Name - Average Lifespan - Maximum Lifespan

Cypress, Bald - 600 - - 1800

Oak, Live - 200 - - 300

The Bald Cypress wins the contest at 1800 years ... Live Oaks only 300 ???

Quote:
OP: did live that long in the past, but now they don't because humans have become less perfect over the centuries
Quote:
http://www.scitechantiques.com/basic...cyclopedia.htm

Life expectancy over human history

Life expectancy has dramatically increased over the last few centuries of human history. These changes are largely the result of improvements in public health, medicine, and nutrition. The greatest improvements have been made in the richest parts of the world, but the same effects are now spreading to other parts of the world as their economies and infrastructure improve.

Life expectancy increased dramatically in the 20th century, especially in developed nations. Life expectancy at birth in the United States in 1901 was 49 years. At the end of the century it was 77 years, an increase of greater than 50%. Similar gains have been enjoyed throughout the world.

in 1901 life expectancy was 49 years - At the end of the century it was 77 years, an increase of greater than 50%

1901 - 49 years : 1999 - 77 years - - That is quite an improvement ...

if not the statistics has anyone ever lived 200 or over - not sure and if it would not be kept a secret seems someone would know.

* if you are old enough you begin to see around you the endless possibilities of what can go wrong with the body and sortof wonder which one it will be for oneself (or has already started) - of course some few may gladly, as a believed and possible goal - to (be able to) leave the physiological form before it expires ...

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

May be in past generation and time this is possible, but now this is not possible. Because that was the time when people have pure food pure and natural air. In these day everything is polluted air pollution water pollution noise pollution and many more pollution and not pure food. A tension-full life and many more problem are making man disappointed about living a life. So, in my point of view there is only 70 or 80 years man have to live, if he/she will not do drink alcohol and smoke.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyanesmith1987 View Post
May be in past generation and time this is possible, but now this is not possible. Because that was the time when people have pure food pure and natural air. In these day everything is polluted air pollution water pollution noise pollution and many more pollution and not pure food. A tension-full life and many more problem are making man disappointed about living a life. So, in my point of view there is only 70 or 80 years man have to live, if he/she will not do drink alcohol and smoke.
Phew!! That's OK then, I'm gonna run out of dollars a long time before I reach even 100 let alone 900.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM

To summarize.....
Bald lives longer......
Black Russians from outer space hold the secret...(Or make the secret)

Make your own Kahlua......and save money in case you live too long.....

At 68....how much time do I have left?

And ...thanks....))

Old 06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Most viable answer to this question would be that it is not possible and as has already been stated, it is passed down information over the years before it was written.

But depending on one's belief and if there is a God, then there is nothing disputing this other than what science and man has today. I would imagine that if there was a God and he/she created everything, then this would not be a big stretch for them if for some reason they wanted specific people to live a certain amount of time so as to achieve his/her will.

Also, if there was a God then the information passed down would not get conf-muddled (technical jargon) over the ages like a game of "Chinese Whispers" and would be the same today as it was back then.

So to answer Muddy's question, I would say that though it is not likely, we don't really know the answer.

Just my 2cents..

Old 06-04-2012, 03:07 PM
v7n Mentor

I'm kinda just flying through the forum in between work and summer home school stuff but I thought I'd chime in.

No matter what the source of the cataclysmic events that might have cause global climate change and wiped out the dinosaurs, there has been some discussion of the percentage of oxygen in the air and changes in barometric pressures related to life span.

I just did the quickest of internet searches and found this webpage.... I haven't taken the time to fully examine his scientific data but he makes some points you all might want to consider

http://www.br13.com/html/3b_oxygen.html

These theories might also explain how dinosaurs grew to be so large considering few reptiles are that large nowadays. The Bible also speaks of fruit so large that two men were required to carry it - higher barometric pressures could account for that....

Barometric pressure also affects the size of insects....

Deep thoughts.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

To my utter embarrassment we have a "museum" in this state that shows the dinosaurs and people walking side by side. They want to squeeze the history of the Earth into the 5000 Biblical years.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Don't think the bible actually says that it was built in actual 5000 (or 7000) or so years.

It saying - "On the first day etc etc...." does not actually mean 1 day, or 1 day to a thousand years.

If I recall correctly, it is an example as it says something like "a days IS LIKE a thousand years", it is figurative as it doesn't say "a days IS a thousand years".

Doesn't actually tell us how long a "day" (in gods eyes) is.

I think the 5000 or years bit is supposed to be how long man has been around.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Yeah, actually 6000 years plus.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Yep, sorry, you're right Muddy.

Thing is, some people take it as either 6 literal days, or assume that the book says "a day is a thousand years".. The Devil's in the detail (excuse the pun there) and it says "a day is like a thousand years".

Heck, one day could have been 20,000 years for all we know as it is just used as an example of time not affecting God as it does man, from what I remember anyway.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Don't think the bible actually says that it was built in actual 5000 (or 7000) or so years.

It saying - "On the first day etc etc...." does not actually mean 1 day, or 1 day to a thousand years.

If I recall correctly, it is an example as it says something like "a days IS LIKE a thousand years", it is figurative as it doesn't say "a days IS a thousand years".

Doesn't actually tell us how long a "day" (in gods eyes) is.

I think the 5000 or years bit is supposed to be how long man has been around.
Congratulations you are one a a very few that I have met who understands that. These "literalist" hard shell fellars around here inside it was 7 literal days period. And then they move away for fear of being in the path of the lightening bolt.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I don't insist on a literal 6 day creation (God rested on the 7th day). Yet I don't think it impossible either. For those that are hung up on a day "as" a thousand years in the sight of God (who is eternal), don't forget that Genesis 1 describes these days as consisting of a night and day period.

The Genesis account (which I believe is wonderfully true and infallible) wasn't meant to be a biological textbook, but rather theological. We see the One True God who is so powerful he can speak the world into existence. Think of Psalm 147:4 "He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names." Wow!

I do think the Genesis account of the ages of men is accurate. When Genesis 5:27 says he lived to be 969 years old, I believe it and don't think it to be symbolic at all. Genesis chapter 5 WASN'T passed down through the ages and finally penned by someone who had heard someone share the story who had heard someone share the story. God inspired Moses to pen His perfect Word.

Finally, I have heard much of what Muddy said in his OP about a canopy that surrounded the earth. I see that as a possibility (from Genesis 1:6-7), but not something that we can say with certainty. I believe that sin is the ultimate and certain cause of death. Because sin is in the world we have sickness, decay, and corrupted bodies, every one of which is going to die. I see a downward progression of ages throughout the early chapters of Genesis (through the flood primarily - chapters 7-9) that I feel results from the further declension and corruption of humanity post-fall (of Adam).

Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I do have some questions because I do take their ages to be literal. Is it possible to compare the Bible with what we know from history? Maybe I am not explaining that right.

I need to step out for dinner with the kids, but I will check this thread later to see if I can explain my question better but in my mind, isn't science starting to line up with the Bible so show evidence of many of the stories?

Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

You know me well enough to know that I never mean to insult or ridicule anyone's faith.

But if the overwhelming science cant convince believers that the Earth is a lot more than 10,000 years old and that dinosaurs were long gone before modern man appeared than someone needs a reality check.

The Bible is the only accepted early history of the world. Some of the Summariam (?) text are not yet fully translated; and any translations may be full of faults because no living person really speaks the language. The Dead Sea Scrolls did not seem to shake up the world; and again it is an inferred translation.

Do any of it really matter if you keep the faith?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues