Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Talking Chick Filet CEO - Homophobe or Marketing Genius?

Gotta wonder now days ....seems everything boils down to the all mighty dollar.

I was just thinking about all the FREE MEDIA coverage Chick-Fil-a is getting.....

Which made me wonder....did the CEO make that statement JUST because he's Christian and against gay marriage?

Or did he do it knowing there would be a HUGE media backlash, protests for and against....which equals MASSIVE ADVERTISING and PROFIT!!!

I bet he is laughing all the way to the bank

Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Sure looks like the owner increased the profits today by a large margin.

Remember the Godaddy media stunt?

Chick-Fil-A protest spikes sales for Md. business

Quote:
It was the lunch hour and a long line of cars snaked around the Chick-Fil-A restaurant at the Boulevard Capital Centre and inside the Landover restaurant a manager was needed to direct people to five different lines packed in front of the counter.

Since opening in 2003, this Prince George’s County Chick-Fil-A has earned national recognition for its sales, but on Wednesday people came to the restaurant to satisfy their political appetite as well as their hunger in the wake of a firestorm sparked by the chicken giants owner that was offended members of the gay community.

“The protest against Chick-Fil-A is the very reason I am here today,” said Darin Anderson, 40, a government worker from Anne Arundel County. “More and more you see people protesting against things that used to be fundamental in America.”

Brandon Small, 29, a sales manager for a Largo firm, said,
Continued at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...R3PX_blog.html

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 08-02-2012, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Oh there's been plenty of media stunts over my lifetime...

I did eat a piece of Popeyes chicken yesterday.....wonder if that counts as for or against?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Considering the fact that the man was mis-quoted and the statement was blown completely out of proportion, I hope they broke all sales records and had the best day ever.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Considering the fact that the man was mis-quoted and the statement was blown completely out of proportion, I hope they broke all sales records and had the best day ever.
I've been wondering about his original "in context" statement. Got a link?

Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
If it were just a simple misquote, then Dan Cathy could have simply come out and corrected it.
But he didn't do that, did he?
He didn't because it's not just his words that reveal his mean spirited bigotry.
His actions mirror his words.
He isn't simply saying negative things about gay people.
He's actively trying to discourage the gay lifestyle by donating some of chick-fil-A's profits to groups like the Family Research Council, whose mission includes (among other things) criminalizing homosexuality.

So, if you're FOR smashing down homosexuals and denying them rights that straight people enjoy, let's hope they broke all previous sales records and continue to do so.

I was hoping this campaign against gay rights (disguised as a campaign for free speech) would fall flat but apparently there's a whole lot of folks who value a chicken sandwich more than they value their gay relatives, friends or neighbours.

There really should have been no controversy and no protest.
Dan Cathy has a right to disagree with gay marriage.
Homosexuals have a right to boycott Chick-fil-A for his statements.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loridori4 View Post
I've been wondering about his original "in context" statement. Got a link?
I wasn't there so all I can do is refer you to the article that caused the controversy: http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=38271

I think you will read that he was not gay bashing or sowing hate. He simply said what he personally believes, a right guaranteed under the first amendment. Not real business smart for a CEO to do but still his right.

Some of the reactions from political figures around the nation seem like they would like to abolish that right and the separation of church and state by imposing their beliefs on those who disagree.

I do not think based on personal observations that he forces his personal beliefs onto the management of the company. I am pretty sure I know one when I see one and I see a few working in the stores.

Edit: Right here and now I am going to add that I do not oppose civil unions for gays. If the collective state is going to grant privileges to married heterosexuals then it should confer the same rights to legally committed gay couples. Forcing churches to perform marriage rights for gay couples is crossing the line.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

And I will add, ScriptMan that I hope my post wasn't taken to mean that I thought you were homophobic in the slightest.
I know you're not and wouldn't want others to think so, either.

My comment about breaking sales records was an illustration of what was accomplished with the "protest" proceeds.
I think a lot of the people that ran out and bought chick-fil-a might not realize where a portion of their money is going.
If they did, I think the numbers might have been smaller.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues