Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 PM

National Weather Service buying lots of ammunition

I'm having a really hard time figuring out just why the National Weather Service, of all agencies, would be ordering 46,000 rounds of .40 cal ammunition.

I wouldn't think that people really get that upset at their bad forecasts.
Quote:
13--Ammunition and Shooting Targets
Solicitation Number: DG-1330-12-RQ-1028
Agency: Department of Commerce
Office: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)

The DOC NOAA National Weather Service - Western Acquisition Division ? Boulder requires the following items, Purchase Description Determined by Line Item, to the following:

LI 001, 16,000 rounds of ammunition for semiautomatic pistols to be factory-loaded .40 S&W caliber, 180-grain jacketed hollow point (JHP). No reloads may be used with these weapons. All service furnished ammunition for issued firearms will be U.S. factory production.
<deliver info snipped>

LI 002, 24,000 rounds of ammunition for semiautomatic pistols to be factory-loaded .40 S&W caliber, 180-grain jacketed hollow point (JHP). No reloads may be used with these weapons. All service furnished ammunition for issued firearms will be U.S. factory production.
<deliver info snipped>

LI 003, 6,000 rounds of frangible, 125-grain CFRHT .40 caliber. No reloads may be used with these weapons. All service furnished ammunition for issued firearms will be U.S. factory production.
<deliver info snipped>

LI 004, 500 Transtar II blue 24" x 40" paper targets
<deliver info snipped>
Source: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...tabmode=list&=

Those 46,000 rounds will be more than enough to completely obliterate 500 paper targets.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
I'm having a really hard time figuring out just why the National Weather Service, of all agencies, would be ordering 46,000 rounds of .40 cal ammunition.

I wouldn't think that people really get that upset at their bad forecasts.

Source: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...tabmode=list&=

Those 46,000 rounds will be more than enough to completely obliterate 500 paper targets.
Oh great we have armed meteorologists now, what are they going to shoot?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
v7n Mentor

I'd go for a joke, but I can't think of a simile that funnier than the national weather service needing 46,000 rounds of .40cal JHP.

Guess I'll just settle for enjoying this warm fuzzy feeling that this and similar news has been bringing on.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post

Guess I'll just settle for enjoying this warm fuzzy feeling that this and similar news has been bringing on.
That makes two of us. It is always the news sniglets that tell the real stories.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Be happy that they ordered 500 paper targets and not 500 people targets.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
That was a typo.

The responsible person has been dealt with

Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
16,000 rounds of ammunition for semiautomatic pistols to be factory-loaded .40 S&W caliber ...

when I first read the above I thought it said seismologic pistols and though it made perfectly obvious sense ...

* Bob, do try to remember the gov't is trying to stimulate the economy as well as putting people back to work.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
They must be pretty lousy shots if they only need 500 targets for 46,000 rounds.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post
when I first read the above I thought it said seismologic pistols and though it made perfectly obvious sense ...
Please enlighten us as to what a "seismologic pistol" is. I've never heard of such a thing. (Or is that something you just made up?)

Quote:
* Bob, do try to remember the gov't is trying to stimulate the economy as well as putting people back to work.
Oh. please. That's quite a stretch even for you.

Besides, Nancy Pelosi has told us that unemployment checks are one of the biggest things for stimulating for the economy:
Quote:
Let me say that unemployment insurance… is one of the biggest stimuluses (sic) to our economy. Economists will tell you, this money is spent quickly. It injects demand into the economy, and it’s job creating. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.
Source with video: http://blog.heritage.org/2010/07/07/...s-for-economy/

Old 08-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

I read that it was a mistake that the agency ordering the ammo is the NOAA fisheries office.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebla View Post
I read that it was a mistake that the agency ordering the ammo is the NOAA fisheries office.
If that were the case, the correction would have been made to the .gov page that I linked above announcing the purchase requisition. That page still lists the National Weather Service as the buyer.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
If that were the case, the correction would have been made to the .gov page that I linked above announcing the purchase requisition. That page still lists the National Weather Service as the buyer.
found a link

Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Thanks. The original posting has now been corrected.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 PM
v7n Mentor

So now it's better because in addition to the 450 million .40 cal pistol rounds the Dept of Homelqnd Security ordered, the weapons and ammo for other domstic agencies including shotguns for the IRS, night vision goggles and sights etc for the Dept of Ag, .50 Barrett sniper rifles for the Dept of energy... the Oceanic administration needs 46 thousand rounds of hollow point and frangible .40 pistol ammo?

Did Flipper form a terrorist militia?

Nice addition to drones, mine resistant vehicles being deployed domestically, and multiple recent executive orders vesting broad new powers in the president in the event of "crisis".

Our military is prohibited from using hollow points, but we're arming domestic agencies with them at remarkable expense. Hollow points even in bulk are way more expensive than what our military uses against armed enemy combatants. The entire function of a hollow point is to expand when it contacts body tissue and create a greater hemmorhage as it passes thru, increasing terminal ballistics.

So at substantial expense to the taxpayer, we're arming obscure domestic agencies better than combat troops.

As for frangible ammo, it is created to penetrate human tissue but disentigrate if it hits a wall. The idea is to limit collateral danage due to wall penetration when a firefight takes place indoors, as in a raid on an office or residence.

Who in the Oceanic administration is having indoor firefights?

Ftr, neither ammo is used for target practice. They are strictly anti-personnel pistol rounds.

Basically, we're frogs in a pot of water. How hot it will get before people notice? Is losing an election "a crisis"?

Last edited by robjones; 08-14-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
So now it's better
Uh no, I just wanted the focus on the right thing. You are right about hollow points not being used for target practice nor being used by the military.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Contributing Member

I have a theory about this - but I'm sure you wouldn't like it. God help America.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
They must be pretty lousy shots if they only need 500 targets for 46,000 rounds.
Surely you're not suggesting that the government is inefficient?

Quote:
Nice addition to drones, mine resistant vehicles being deployed domestically, and multiple recent executive orders vesting broad new powers in the president in the event of "crisis". Our military is prohibited from using hollow points, but we're arming domestic agencies with them at remarkable expense. So at substantial expense to the taxpayer, we're arming obscure domestic agencies better than combat troops.
Ftr, neither ammo is used for target practice. They are strictly anti-personnel pistol rounds.

Basically, we're frogs in a pot of water. How hot it will get before people notice? Is losing an election "a crisis"?
Add to that, the fact that none of the bankers have gone to jail for the fraud committed against the American people and the US banks are being told to prepare for total collapse.

It's all just unfortunate coincidence, I'm sure.

It's time to wake up, people!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
r: Our military is prohibited from using hollow points ...
Quote:
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/0..._ammo_021510w/

Corps to use more lethal ammo in Afghanistan

The Marine Corps is dropping its conventional 5.56mm ammunition in Afghanistan in favor of new deadlier, more accurate rifle rounds, and could field them at any time.

The open-tipped rounds until now have been available only to Special Operations Command troops.

Legal concerns

Before the SOST round could be fielded by the Corps, it had to clear a legal hurdle: approval that it met international law of war standards.

The process is standard for new weapons and weapons systems, but it took on added significance because of the bullet’s design. Open-tip bullets have been approved for use by U.S. forces for decades, but are sometimes confused with hollow-point rounds, which expand in human tissue after impact, causing unnecessary suffering, according to widely accepted international treaties signed following the Hague peace conventions held in the Netherlands in 1899 and 1907.

does our Beloved Constitution prohibit the introduction of rational "gun" legislation our own military recognizes under International Laws and Treaties?

if not then why are these Laws / Treaties being Honored by our military ???

Firearms are weapons and should be properly legislated.

Common sense Legislation: All Firearms available to civilians should be required to be lever action if multiple rounds are used.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post
Common sense Legislation: All Firearms available to civilians should be required to be lever action if multiple rounds are used.
Please let me teach you something here: Lever action are mostly made for hunting with devastating round ammunition. If you want to compare, a hunting lever action round vs assault rifle round like a AK 47, the 7.62 round will be 25% ~ 50% less lethal than a the lever action.

JHP bullets are like any hunting rounds, they are devastating and mostly more powerful to have a high stopping power.

Guns don't kill people; people kill people.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 AM

Hmmm...interesting discussion..

"Guns don't kill people; people kill people" - how very true, especially in light of the mass killings across USA

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues