Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-15-2012, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Plain Packaging for Cigarettes Intoduced in Australia

Although only about 17% of Australians still remain to be convinced that smoking cigarettes kills, maims and generally will inflict great damage on an individual and an individual's family, the Oz Gov have won a court case against the cigarette companies and will introduce plain packaging. This means that all cigarettes will have wraparound green cover with gruesome images and a health warning with only a very small mention of the brand name.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...815-2484m.html

Another freedom lost - You beauty!!!!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

UK is moving to hiding cigarettes for sale and not allowing them to be displayed. Already if you check the cross channel ferries they cannot say anything about cigarettes, what is available or any prices.

Be doing it with booze next.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

They're using both methods here.
Packages must have ads on them which talk about the effects of smoking and huge warning labels AND they are not allowed to be displayed openly in the stores.
They are kept behind closed doors.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I used to smoke for over 25 years.
I quit smoking over a year and a half ago.
My quitting had nothing to do with any government law ever enacted.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Latest Blog:
None

The US should do this.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
I used to smoke for over 25 years.
I quit smoking over a year and a half ago.
My quitting had nothing to do with any government law ever enacted.
I'm thinking that it would be a combination of government laws, health advertisements that gradually worked into the subconscious and combined with some self realisation helped you come to the decision. Congratulations I know how bloody hard it is to give up.

I have a sister who MUST give up smoking, She is 50 and will lose both legs and the only thing she can do to help delay this is to stop smoking. She can't.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:18 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I gave up because a friend was being told that he too would lose both legs if he did not stop. I managed to do so after smoking for 25 years (that was 25 years ago now) he took a little longer, but at his death a couple of years ago he did still have both legs. Advertising did nothing to me, peer pressure started me smoking and I was glad of the excuse of my friend to stop. But we did always call them coffin nails 50 years ago, so the pictures etc do not put people off.

The only chance is if all this changes the 'cool' culture that has always surrounded the habit, but you know society needs an acceptable drug and it was cigarettes and booze, if they go something will replace them and will that be any safer?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

That's part of plain packaging, changing the cool culture. Hard to be cool if every cigarette packet looks the same. Virtually every other drug is healthier than cigarettes.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblord666 View Post
I'm thinking that it would be a combination of government laws, health advertisements that gradually worked into the subconscious and combined with some self realisation helped you come to the decision. Congratulations I know how bloody hard it is to give up.
Thanks. It wasn't (and still isn't) easy. I really liked to smoke.
But I can tell you in all honesty, it wasn't any government law or action that did it for me. It wasn't peer pressure or any external pressure for that matter.
In the end, I looked at my kids and decided that I want to be here for as much of their lives as possible. And I wanted that MORE than I wanted to smoke. I still do, and that helps keep me from going back.

On the topic of your sister, a person will quit when they are ready, and not a minute before then. Sorry to tell you, but there's not much you can do except to keep trying to convince her to quit and hope that she will decide to do that.
Good luck!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I work-out everyday but Sunday at the fitness center - even the lingering desire to smoke is gone.

too bad it takes science or medicine to convince someone that their habit / craving is Poisonous ...

and also learning yourself (exercise), smoking is just wasting time rather than being constructive.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
That's part of plain packaging, changing the cool culture. Hard to be cool if every cigarette packet looks the same. Virtually every other drug is healthier than cigarettes.
No coolness is not about the packet, that style of packet will get acceptance and so will the pictures. Cool still comes from an image of users and what is acceptable in peer groups, do any of the so called recreational drugs come in swish packaging?

Quote:
too bad it takes science or medicine to convince someone that their habit / craving is Poisonous ...
So is eating too much or eating some things that are supposed to be good. A recent study found that eggs were more damaging than smoking because of the amount of cholesterol that the yokes contained. Are they to be hidden? Will you stop eating them because of the scientific research?
http://www.latimes.com/health/booste...,1391259.story

Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
No coolness is not about the packet, that style of packet will get acceptance and so will the pictures. Cool still comes from an image of users and what is acceptable in peer groups, do any of the so called recreational drugs come in swish packaging?
[/url]
Maybe. Then maybe coolness is throwing a packet of Marlboro or Benson & Hedges on the table and feeding off the reaction. That won't happen when all packets are identical. I'm not that sure that smoking is associated with cool anymore, in my age bracket it's associated with stupidity.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Maybe. Then maybe coolness is throwing a packet of Marlboro or Benson & Hedges on the table and feeding off the reaction. That won't happen when all packets are identical. I'm not that sure that smoking is associated with cool anymore, in my age bracket it's associated with stupidity.
Is that in just the same way that one throws a little packet of some illegal drug on the table? The only brand that was impressive in my youth was if you were rich enough to but something like Sobranie Black Russian, which had a special flavour and smell, mmm I can smell and taste it now.

If your generation thinks it is stupid, why all the fuss to make packaging plain? And if you want to stop seasoned smokers, do you really think that hiding or plain packaging will make any difference? It certainly would not have done so to me when I was smoking. I said I didn't care if they increased the price ten fold or if they were coffin nails, I would have them if I wanted to do so....and I did.

But you did not answer me about eggs. Are you going to stop eating them, the medical evidence is after all overwhelming. Perhaps it will help if we put pictures on of being who have had strokes caused by the cholesterol content.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforeseen View Post
The US should do this.
Big pharma can't get paid if noone gets sick from smoking.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
Is that in just the same way that one throws a little packet of some illegal drug on the table? The only brand that was impressive in my youth was if you were rich enough to but something like Sobranie Black Russian, which had a special flavour and smell, mmm I can smell and taste it now.

If your generation thinks it is stupid, why all the fuss to make packaging plain? And if you want to stop seasoned smokers, do you really think that hiding or plain packaging will make any difference? It certainly would not have done so to me when I was smoking. I said I didn't care if they increased the price ten fold or if they were coffin nails, I would have them if I wanted to do so....and I did.

But you did not answer me about eggs. Are you going to stop eating them, the medical evidence is after all overwhelming. Perhaps it will help if we put pictures on of being who have had strokes caused by the cholesterol content.
Whatever mate. The government has introduced a world first legislation to try and reduce the incidence of Australians smoking. If it works, that is great. If it fails, so be it. But at least they are trying and with 80% of Australians being non-smokers they have a lot of support.

As for your eggs, whatever...

Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM

i think few of Australians accept this truth that cigarette kills humans and they regularly using it.Most of country like US,Brazil peoples used it daily.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues