Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 AM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down The Civil War (a.k.a The war of Northern Aggression) 150 Year Anniversary

Even after 150 years, people still donít seem to agree on what actually caused to the civil war.

Was it really about slavery or was it about statesí rights?

What do you think?

Related Resources:

Slavery, Not States' Rights, Caused Civil War Whose Political Effects Linger
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolit...vil-wars-cause

Some Real Reasons For The War Of Northern Aggression
http://www.cakewalkblogs.com/antiest...ggression.aspx

Top Five Causes of the Civil War
http://americanhistory.about.com/od/...civil_war.html

For Miss., an Angst-Filled Civil War Anniversary
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/m...4#.UC5si938uSo

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

The civil war was a concoction of the ruling class in the South for their purposes including slavery ... and was not really supported as a dissolution of the United States by the Southern people as evidenced by the reunion of the Nation and the spirit of the majority in the South for its continued existence.

States Rights are an issue mainly for established interests for minority groups content with their own status quo and not interested in the society as a whole or the plights of others ... etc. - in most regards the ruling class minority.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

It was about slavery. The south rose up in rebellion because they feared the rise of abolitionist political power.

- It is no coincidence that secession started with the election of an pro abolition president.

- The only state right the abolutionists were interested in doing away with was slavery.

- As new states were being created in antebellum America the divisive debates were about whether slavery would be permitted - not other state's rights issues.

- I have never heard of any argument (let alone a cogent one) that the Civil War would have occurred in the absence of slavery.

To wrap up the causes for why the Civil War started in 'States Rights' clothing is just some misplaced romantic hokum. Slavery was an ugly practice and it took an ugly war to end it.

Last edited by indybail; 08-18-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

What was the Civil War about? That depends on who you ask.

In my family, it was about answering the call of our home (Virginia). My ancestors were small farmers (no slaves) who came to America in 1619, and BELIEVED in the dream they fought for during the Revolution, wherein they pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor.

Different times, and yes, slaves were part of everyday life from Rhode Island (one of the main ports of sale) to Florida.

I'm sure that in some Southern families the war was about losing a plantation because loss of slaves meant one had to hire and pay workers to harvest crops. But in my family, the war was about answering the call of duty when Virginia and Robert E. Lee asked, and keeping the Federal Government from becoming what my ancestors had escaped in Britain: an overbearing bureaucracy, who drowned its citizens in taxes. (Obviously, we lost!)

Old 08-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Lauren at LucasWorks: But in my family, the war was about answering the call of duty when Virginia and Robert E. Lee asked, and keeping the Federal Government from becoming what my ancestors had escaped in Britain: an overbearing bureaucracy, who drowned its citizens in taxes.

when asked by Virginia and Robert E. Lee - West Virgina succeeded from Virginia ...

Old 08-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, Breezewood. Everyone in Virginia knows about West Virginia's secession (at least everyone whose family goes back a ways...)

Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 AM
No Longer Active

I wonder how many have actually studied this war....

Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 AM

South Carolina was very clear on the reason

The opening paragraphs of the "Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union" are a discussion of the events in American history that led to the decision to secede. The very first reason given for secession is worded as follows:

We maintain that in every compact between two or more parties, the obligation is mutual; that the failure of one of the contracting parties to perform a material part of the agreement, entirely releases the obligation of the other; and that where no arbiter is provided, each party is remitted to his own judgment to determine the fact of failure, with all its consequences.

In the present case, that fact is established with certainty. We assert that fourteen of the States have deliberately refused, for years past, to fulfill their constitutional obligations, and we refer to their own Statutes for the proof.

The Constitution of the United States, in its fourth Article, provides as follows: "No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due."

This stipulation was so material to the compact, that without it that compact would not have been made. The greater number of the contracting parties held slaves, and they had previously evinced their estimate of the value of such a stipulation by making it a condition in the Ordinance for the government of the territory ceded by Virginia, which now composes the States north of the Ohio River.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

I will recommend two excellent movies very close to the real events about the American Civil War (1861–1865).

"Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals".

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues