Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

White House hopeful Jill Stein: Time to empty prisons of non-violent marijuana users

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/2...rijuana-users/

Quote:
Speaking at Seattle’s Hempfest last week, Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein voiced her support for marijuana legislation.

Stein, a long-time physician and teacher, said the first thing she would do as president would be to direct the Drug Enforcement Administration to declassify marijuana as a Schedule I substance, the most restrictive classification reserved for dangerous, addictive drugs with no medical value.

“Use science in the classification of substances,” she said. “Because the minute science is used, marijuana, cannabis and hemp are off the list of scheduled substances. There is no scientific reason to schedule them.”

Stein also called for non-violent marijuana users to be released from prison.

“We need to legalize cannabis, get the users out of jail, and start to treat substance abuse and addiction as a public health problem, not as a criminal act,” she said.
Thoughts ?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

It's a very wise and thoughtful approach to marijuana.
The fact is that most users of marijuana, like alcohol, are non-violent, responsible people who do no harm to anyone else.
It's time they were treated that way.

Marijuana is no more a "gateway drug" than alcohol is.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
It's a very wise and thoughtful approach to marijuana.
The fact is that most users of marijuana, like alcohol, are non-violent, responsible people who do no harm to anyone else.
It's time they were treated that way.

Marijuana is no more a "gateway drug" than alcohol is.

I fully agree. It is a waste of resources to enforce these silly laws.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I fully agree. It is a waste of resources to enforce these silly laws.
Just imagine how much more time, money and manpower could go into enforcing the rest of the laws if they weren't wasted on putting marijuana smokers in prison.
The war on marijuana is much more harmful to a society than marijuana use is.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
“We need to legalize cannabis, get the users out of jail, and start to treat substance abuse and addiction as a public health problem, not as a criminal act,” she said.

I agree with all of the above, and simply put help those who need help (for all drug related problems) -

the DEA is a massive waste of gov't resources.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I am not for drugs in general, but I agree that the fight against marijuana is a huge waste of ressources and taxpayers money.

DEA is not a waste of government ressources but can be use wisely on Meth, cocaine, etc

Legal drugs kill more people than we can imagine.

Robespierre

Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
I am not for drugs in general, but I agree that the fight against marijuana is a huge waste of ressources and taxpayers money.

DEA is not a waste of government resources but can be use wisely on Meth, cocaine, etc

Legal drugs kill more people than we can imagine.
I won't put words in Zap's mouth but I don't think either of us said we are for drugs. We just said chasing pot users is a waste of time.

I will go one step further and say that no society in recorded history has prevented drug users from their drug of choice. What makes you think we can succeed where so many others have failed? We should address the problem for what it is; an addition that should be treated. Get the crime and criminal out of the distribution process. Drugs don't directly cause most crimes; it is the lack of money to buy the drugs that does. I realize this is somewhat radical thinking for a 62 year old non- drug user but it it what I believe after years of watching.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Marijuana's real threat has nothing to do with self crimes. Mary J is both a threat to the Oil Industry, and the Steel Industry. Hemp Rope has the same tensile strength as steel cable, hence when Henry Ford made his trunk lid of the original fiber glass, hemp weave, and soybean resin, it was near indestructible. And to this date, Alcohol Powered Dragsters are still in a class of their own, well above anything Gasoline could ever dream of achieving. Hemp can be easily grown in abundance by any Farmer, thus it's availability is a serious threat to some very serious monopolies. Moonshine and Hemp are outlawed to protect the rich, and nothing less.

I Love Jill Stein and everything she stands for, especially her Green New Deal, putting the country back to work in a way that will benefit us for generations to come. Wouldn't it be nice if we could give our children a better world then we were given?

Old 08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Throwing marijuana users in jail is basically a misapplication of resources. Taking someone off the tax roles and paying to incarcerate them for doing about the same thing i do when i have a glass of bourbon is both wasteful and inconsistent.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If you go to any state or federal prison I would imagine you could count on one hand the number of people being held there just because that had a joint or two (if any at all).

Anymore it's hard just to spend just one night in jail for simple possession of marijuana. Most of the time a citation to appear in court is all that happens.

It's a hassle, not a tragedy.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybail View Post
If you go to any state or federal prison I would imagine you could count on one hand the number of people being held there just because that had a joint or two (if any at all).

Anymore it's hard just to spend just one night in jail for simple possession of marijuana. Most of the time a citation to appear in court is all that happens.

It's a hassle, not a tragedy.
That's if you're a minor under the age of 18 and it's your first offense. If you are 18 or older, you goto jail for quite a few years for possession (and they like to tack on intent to distribute most of the time to send you to jail for even longer period).

Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
That's if you're a minor under the age of
18 and it's your first offense. If you are 18 or older, you goto jail for quite a few years for possession (and they like to tack on intent to distribute most of the time to send you to jail for even longer period).
No, I am talking about adult offenders. Adults are not sentenced "for quite a few years" for possession of small amounts of marijuana.

I will stand by my statement which is based on over 25 years of working in criminal justice and personally witnessing thousands of possession of marijuana cases being adjudicated.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybail View Post
No, I am talking about adult offenders. Adults are not sentenced "for quite a few years" for possession of small amounts of marijuana.

I will stand by my statement which is based on over 25 years of working in criminal justice and personally witnessing thousands of possession of marijuana cases being adjudicated.
It probably varies state by state then, some being more strict about it then others.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues