Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

'Get lost you rich idiot', France's wealthiest man told

Quote:
A move by France's richest man, Bernard Arnault, to seek Belgian citizenship has caused outrage in his home country. Daily newspaper Libération ordered him to "Get Lost you Rich Idiot" in Monday’s front page, as politicians lined up to lambast him.

France’s richest man, billionaire Bernard Arnault, has come under fire from all quarters for his controversial decision to apply for Belgian nationality.

The decision by the 63-year-old head of the Louis Vuitton, Moët and Hennessy (LVMH) luxury goods empire to seek Belgian citizenship, has been seen by some as a first step to his future financial exile from France. It is an accusation Arnault has strongly denied.

'Parasite'

Nevertheless, his decision has provoked a furious reaction in the press and among politicians.

Libération’s front-page headline on Monday screamed “Get Lost, you Rich Idiot”, in homage to the infamous outburst by former president Nicolas Sarkozy, a friend of Arnault’s, who memorably told a farmer to “get lost, you poor idiot”.

“Even if he denies he will go into exile for financial motives, Bernard Arnault’s request for Belgian nationality appears to be the symbol of selfishness by the most wealthy,” Libération added on their front page.

Arnault's lawyer announced that he was suing Libération for public insult over the headline, calling it vulgar and violent.
http://www.france24.com/en/20120910-...hiest-man-told

Changing nationality to avoid taxes is unfortunately the trend of the wealthy worldwide.

What do you think when a newspaper unleash publicly critism?

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM

A newspaper has a right to criticise but somewhere they too have to draw a line. Many times they indulge in exaggerated/misleading reporting just to grab headlines (I am not commenting about this particular case but am just giving my general views.)

Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranm View Post
A newspaper has a right to criticise but somewhere they too have to draw a line. Many times they indulge in exaggerated/misleading reporting just to grab headlines (I am not commenting about this particular case but am just giving my general views.)
Well in this particular case they went very far because the translation is very insulting. France 24 translated the title of the newapaper in a polite way.

I guess Bernard Arnault is going to sue the newspaper.

Robespierre

Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think he has the right to do so. He have earned his wealth with his hard work and he can move to any country he want.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues