Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

HIV/AIDS - Getting Beyond The Stereotypes

This week, I found myself wrapping up a complete rewrite/design of a local non-profit that deals with HIV/AIDS.

The web development industry, can be, at times, fairly educational -- as during the past few weeks I've learned more about HIV/AIDS with this particular site rebuild, than I have at any other point in time since the early 1980's.

One thing that struck me odd about the job tho', was that it seemed that (at least to me) the LGBT community staked a sole claim to the infection .. not wanting to leave much room for anyone else.

Developing content and getting statistics w/out a LGBT slant is extremely difficult. The content presented to the board of this non-profit about straight persons HIV infections was met with mixed results .. Tho' I do have the support of the Executive Director. It's as if the LGBT Community doesn't care about any other demographic but their own. And seemingly want, as well, for the content of the site to remain pretty much LGBT.

Now I, as well as everyone else knows (or should know), that HIV is an insidious thing .. and upon gaining the approval of the board to do this project, I saw a perfectly good opportunity to cover all of the bases .. Straight, LGBT, Babies, Teens .. Everybody -- Because HIV doesn't just infect only certain people .. It can infect anyone.

I've been moving the site away from just the LGBT demographic (though they are still very much included) .. and have been writing it to include everyone.

I'm hoping that, thru' my work on this project, I might help people to move beyond the typical stereotypes. HIV/AIDS is not just a LGBT problem.

I think that good web development should include a certain ethical and moral responsibility to the general public when it comes to issues like that of HIV .. HIV isn't selective, so neither should the content be selective.

In so many ways I'm glad I took the call and accepted this project .. Web development can be, at times, rather difficult .. especially when you are dealing with a subject that no one wants to ever talk about.

In the beginning, I thought I would just be doing the rewrite on the site, but this afternoon, I got a call from the Executive Director .. She wants me to go in Monday morning so she can sign a one year site maintenance contract with my small firm..

Wish me luck guys .. as I continue to do my own small part in leveling the playing field with regard to HIV/AIDS

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Good project Setx_webdev

I remember to go with my wife to a AIDS Walk at Las Vegas, to support donations for fithgting against HIV/AIDS. That's how I shake hands at this time with the Las Vegas future Mayor Mr Goodman compaining.

Not only gay people are affected by this but also a lot of hemophilia, included kids having this horrible disease. I hope they will find some vaccines to save them.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Too bad big pharma won't allow a cure to be made, treatment for HIV/AIDS patients is a rich business.

There was a European company, if I recall from years ago, that claimed they had found a cure for HIV/AIDS saying that they had successfully killed the virus with no damage to the host in lab rats. They disappeared off the face of the Earth a short while later.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
Too bad big pharma won't allow a cure to be made, treatment for HIV/AIDS patients is a rich business.

There was a European company, if I recall from years ago, that claimed they had found a cure for HIV/AIDS saying that they had successfully killed the virus with no damage to the host in lab rats. They disappeared off the face of the Earth a short while later.
I don't know which one you are referring, but they are all working on this issue, Europe and US.

The last news:
Analysis of Immune Responses in Patients Treated With Vacc-4x Supports Further Development
http://www.rdmag.com/News/FeedsAP/20...nts-treated-w/

Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
I don't know which one you are referring
I can't remember the name nor can I seem to find the news report of them claiming they had a possible cure.

This was quite a few years ago, way back in the early 2000's.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 AM
The Controversial Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
I can't remember the name nor can I seem to find the news report of them claiming they had a possible cure.

This was quite a few years ago, way back in the early 2000's.
Indeed, there was a German man cured not long ago as far as I remember, and people before have had it controlled to a level where it doesn't effect them much, if at all however in the society we live in HIV, Cancer, any serious disease sells medication and treatment so there is no real interest from the suits to finance cures for everyone. If there was a cure to come to market for one of the big killers it'd be stupidly expensive.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues