Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

BPI Announces Defamation Lawsuit Over 'Pink Slime'

Quote:
The company that makes what it calls lean finely textured beef, the food product that critics call "pink slime," has announced a defamation suit against ABC News after reports on the product by ABC and others led to reduced demand.

Media organizations have frequently reported on the product that often was added to ground beef sold in supermarkets and served in restaurants and schools.

"The lawsuit is without merit," said Jeffrey Schneider, Senior Vice President of ABC News, which ran several such reports. "We will contest it vigorously."

Beef Products Inc., BPI Technology Inc. and Freezing Machines Inc., collectively known as BPI, first publicly indicated Wednesday its intention to share details of "a major lawsuit regarding defamation of its beef product, lean finely textured beef" today.

The product, abbreviated as LFTB, is made of beef trimmings that are heated and spritzed with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. Blending in the product can reduce the price of ground beef. The USDA says that the product is safe to eat and reduces the overall fat content of beef products.

In late March, governors from three meat-producing states walked through a BPI plant with reporters and defended LFTB. "It's beef, but it's leaner beef which is better for you," Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad said. "We take this off the market then we end up with a fatter product that's going to cost more and is going to increase the obesity problem in this country."

Then USDA scientist Gerald Zirnstein first coined the term "pink slime" to describe what the industry calls LFTB in an email he sent to USDA colleagues in 2002. He and former USDA colleague Carl Custer continue to be outspoken critics of LFTB.

After a flurry of news reports earlier this year, several national grocery chains publicly vowed to discontinue selling beef containing the product, joining some other supermarket chains that claimed they never did.

Restaurants, including McDonald's, Burger King and Taco Bell, had earlier stopped buying it.

In early April, the USDA approved requests by BPI and others that they be allowed to label products containing LFTB. Given the choice by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, many school districts refused to accept beef with the "pink slime." Only three states participating in the National School Lunch Program -- Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota, all states with BPI facilities -- agreed to order ground beef that might contain the product, according to a June 6 ABC News report.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/bpi-ann...ry?id=17222933

This is a big story going viral.

What are your thoughts about this story?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Unfortunately the press can say anything. Their rights to destroy are unparalleled and needs to be curtailed. I absolutely support free press and opinions, but when opinions are printed as front page news and retractions, if you ever get one, are buried in the bottom of the classified section that is not a free press -- that is the thug life.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeMoore View Post
Unfortunately the press can say anything. Their rights to destroy are unparalleled and needs to be curtailed. I absolutely support free press and opinions, but when opinions are printed as front page news and retractions, if you ever get one, are buried in the bottom of the classified section that is not a free press -- that is the thug life.
When you know how this crap is manufactured, perhaps you will not buy it. It is a food aditive, a filler to be exact.

Quote:
The resulting product is exposed to ammonia gas or citric acid to kill bacteria
Quote:
Legality by country
In the United States, the additive itself cannot legally be sold directly to consumers. However, it can constitute up to 15 percent of ground beef without additional labeling,[19] and it can also be added to other meat products such as beef-based processed meats.[19] Prior to the invention of the disinfection process, beef scraps could not be processed to reduce or remove the fat, bone fragments or other non-beef components and could be sold for other uses only, such as pet food or as an ingredient for cooking oil.[12] In a statement on March 22, 2012, Under Secretary of Agriculture for Food Safety Elisabeth A. Hagen stated on the USDA's blog that "The process used to produce LFTB is safe and has been used for a very long time. And adding LFTB to ground beef does not make that ground beef any less safe to consume."[2]

Due to the use of ammonium hydroxide in its processing, LFTB is not permitted in Canada.[27] In a statement, Health Canada stated that: "Ammonia is not permitted in Canada to be used in ground beef or meats during their production." Such products also may not be imported, as Canadian law requires that imported meat products meet the same standards and requirements as domestic meat.[27][28] Canada does allow Finely Textured Meat (FTM) to be "used in the preparation of ground meat" and "identified as ground meat" under certain conditions.[29] Pink slime does not meet the legal requirements for sale in the United Kingdom,[30] and the European Union has banned it[31][32] and other mechanically-separated meats for human consumption.
Pink Slime

Yum Yum

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 09-17-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

It is precisely because of crap like this (and GMO and growth hormones and antibiotic use and ... and ...) that I swore off of grocery store meat.
We now get all of our meat from a local farm, an organic farm that grows their own feed for their animals.
No GMO.
No Growth Hormones.
No Antibiotics.
What a difference it has made!

The old saying used to be "Don't get mad. Get even.".
But I think the 21st century equivalent is "Don't get mad. Get out!". Get yourself out of the system.

And by the way... They don't gouge you for organics. The organic meat I buy is priced around the same as buying non-organics from a regular grocery store!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
It is precisely because of crap like this (and GMO and growth hormones and antibiotic use and ... and ...) that I swore off of grocery store meat.
We now get all of our meat from a local farm, an organic farm that grows their own feed for their animals.
No GMO.
No Growth Hormones.
No Antibiotics.
What a difference it has made!

The old saying used to be "Don't get mad. Get even.".
But I think the 21st century equivalent is "Don't get mad. Get out!". Get yourself out of the system.

And by the way... They don't gouge you for organics. The organic meat I buy is priced around the same as buying non-organics from a regular grocery store!
You nail it Zap. This very alarming that these companies do not label exactly how the products are made. No wonder why so many people are sick. They are making products that endangered people health for just profits.

The stunning thing is that these products are banned from other countries. Again where the FDA stand for? Corporate profits or people health?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

The peace of mind that comes from buying locally is priceless.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

It reminds me the fake rice made out of plastic

[YT]Uw65n3ajZu4[/YT]

Old 09-17-2012, 01:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
The peace of mind that comes from buying locally is priceless.
You should buy from us Zap! We take good care!

I don't buy any of that crap...well except great ice cream (until we start making it ourselves) so my point was not to support GMO but to be continually pissed off at the press that does not care one lick about the truth.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeMoore View Post
You should buy from us Zap! We take good care!

I don't buy any of that crap...well except great ice cream (until we start making it ourselves) so my point was not to support GMO but to be continually pissed off at the press that does not care one lick about the truth.
I know a little about your exploits and accomplishments from your FB posts.
If you were local, I would definitely have already approached you regarding what you have to offer.
More and more people are waking up, Dude.
Keep up the good work. You guys are the future.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues