Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 09-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Does Ebonics Bother You?

I am not at all racist, not even the slightest bit. There is one thing that bothers me though. When people speak in Ebonics. It could be any culture or race of human being; it just really annoys me and in my opinion makes them very unprofessional. What do you think about this?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudfire View Post
I am not at all racist, not even the slightest bit. There is one thing that bothers me though. When people speak in Ebonics. It could be any culture or race of human being; it just really annoys me and in my opinion makes them very unprofessional. What do you think about this?
I speak it but don't use it at all when i'm talking to people. Sometimes it slips and I talk this way but it's where I went to school and the friends I grew up with that I learned to speak this way.

I'm old and grownup so I speak normal and act professional around people. Speaking ebonic's at my job interview would not land me the job as it's a company and I do have to speak to clients sometimes to break down details of IT issue's.

Certain parts of towns in my area are the low income housing, it's ebonic's 101 over there but most of these people didn't want to live and grow up there as the economy had an effect on them. Heck, If i moved to a more southern state and lived there for a few years, I would eventually pickup the southern accent.

Then again, people think I have one but I don't think I have one. When you live in a certain area for so long and they speak a certain way, you tend to learn a few things and before you know it, you are speaking that type of way. I don't care how people speak, once I get to know them some more, how they speak does not effect our friendship at all.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

That is a very good explanation, i never thought of it like that. Honestly i wouldn't never befriend anybody because of it. I understand its in there culture, but honestly a lot of people around here do it to intimidate others, or to "act cool". What do you think about those people who do it for attention, or to act cool? Is it still just how the grew up?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudfire View Post
That is a very good explanation, i never thought of it like that. Honestly i wouldn't never befriend anybody because of it. I understand its in there culture, but honestly a lot of people around here do it to intimidate others, or to "act cool". What do you think about those people who do it for attention, or to act cool? Is it still just how the grew up?
The people who do it to act cool or for attention are just idiots in my book. I can tell when someone is doing this and I just walk away without saying anything. Being i'm in my 30's and grown up, I know I won't get anywhere if i was talking ebonic's. You won't meet a nice woman, land a good job or make any loyal friends talking this way.

Kid's learn things from there parents i'm afraid, the parents need to set an example to there kids and change things from an early age.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

You are again 100% correct. That was my original meaning was the people who do it for attention, just making themselves look like idiots. Sorry i didn't explain it like that in my first post thoroughly.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues