Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

I spent years working for a rather large corporate company and one way that certain stats improved was by "massaging the figures".

Even though the government is in place to work for the people, this is one big corporation in itself and some of these guys are on wages most of us will never see in a lifetime and I am sure they have some pretty clever ways of massaging the figures also.

Crime only goes up or down according to the figures we are produced.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Populace View Post
Presidents have nothing to do with the crime rate. Like the article says '5th straight year' which means if you were going to give credit, it would be to Bush for putting the policies in place. But like I said, I doubt either Obama or Bush had little to anything to do with the crime rate.

Where I live, the crime rate has skyrocketed. So I'm guessing this doesn't apply here in my state.
Populace, if you read what I said: 5 years, counting the year Obama started running. A Black Man just being recognized as a potential Presidential Candidate is a SERIOUS change in our political climate. And Blacks do make up better than half of the Convicted Criminals in the US. Blacks were just given a voice, and that is no small thing. As a Sociologist I can make an argument for Obama being the cause of the lower Crime Rate, but Politicians only use Statisticians. In concurrence with G10, Statistics 101, tell me your lie and I'll show you how to make the numbers prove it; for a price.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxy View Post
Populace, if you read what I said: 5 years, counting the year Obama started running. A Black Man just being recognized as a potential Presidential Candidate is a SERIOUS change in our political climate. And Blacks do make up better than half of the Convicted Criminals in the US. Blacks were just given a voice, and that is no small thing. As a Sociologist I can make an argument for Obama being the cause of the lower Crime Rate, but Politicians only use Statisticians. In concurrence with G10, Statistics 101, tell me your lie and I'll show you how to make the numbers prove it; for a price.
I understand what you're saying. But I still HIGHLY doubt Obama, nor any other president has anything to do with the crime rate. I could note that the amount of police, surveillance and other forms of reinforcement has drastically increased in that time as a counterpoint.

But we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Populace View Post
I understand what you're saying. But I still HIGHLY doubt Obama, nor any other president has anything to do with the crime rate. I could note that the amount of police, surveillance and other forms of reinforcement has drastically increased in that time as a counterpoint.

But we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
We are probably more in agreement then not, I am just making the argument to show ho easily Obama could take credit for the lower crime rate. As my question is: why isn't he? I think Bob's argument of the Castle Doctrine makes the most sense, given that Obama is anti gun.

But that said, a Black Man as President, ABSOLUTELY has reduced Crime. You can not tell me there are not Black Teens out there today who have chosen not to go with their friends to rob the 7/11, just because he or she has dreams of one day becoming President, and that dream is no longer an impossibility. No, Obama being President has indeed reduced crime. There is only the mater of: to what degree; and a good Statistician can easily make 1 equal 100%

Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
But that said, a Black Man as President, ABSOLUTELY has reduced Crime. You can not tell me there are not Black Teens out there today who have chosen not to go with their friends to rob the 7/11, just because he or she has dreams of one day becoming President, and that dream is no longer an impossibility. No, Obama being President has indeed reduced crime. There is only the mater of: to what degree; and a good Statistician can easily make 1 equal 100%
You'd have to analyze the statistics very carefully to be sure that such broad statements are really true. I don't really think that a single reason can be identified since there are so many variables involved.

Has the crime rate gone up in some states and down in others? If Obama's the reason for the decrease and he's the president of the whole country, why would the crime rate go up in any of the states?

Have just crimes committed by blacks gone down? If whites or Hispanics are committing fewer crimes, that decrease can hardly be attributed to the president being black.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
You'd have to analyze the statistics very carefully to be sure that such broad statements are really true. I don't really think that a single reason can be identified since there are so many variables involved.
Nothing socially ever happens for a single reason, if only as humans our influences are widely diverse. But any president has influence on crime, Chief Lawmaker... As a Statistician I would simply send out queries to High School Teachers across this Nation, and build my numbers and Campaign around the results.

Quote:
Has the crime rate gone up in some states and down in others? If Obama's the reason for the decrease and he's the president of the whole country, why would the crime rate go up in any of the states?
Again as a Statistician I can use the numbers either way to my benefit. For example, say Black crime went down and Hispanic crime went up. I could show that over all things are better (current statistics), and the largest sector Black crime is down, yet appeal to the Hispanics (with the speech) that hey minorities can have a voice, and it need not be violent.

Quote:
Have just crimes committed by blacks gone down? If whites or Hispanics are committing fewer crimes, that decrease can hardly be attributed to the president being black.
We have no statistics showing actual Crimes and who is committing them, for that we would have to be clairvoyant. What we have is Convictions and Arrests making up crime statistics. Arrests and Convictions are primarily of the Lower Class. Blacks overwhelmingly populate the lower class, so yes the argument can be made that a Black President gives hope to the lower class as a general rule.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues