Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Crime Rate vs Obama

The Crime Rate is at an historic low for a fifth strait year. So, since Obama started running for president crime has dropped and continues to drop. So why isn't the Obama Camp waving this flag as the apex of his campaign?

When times are hard crime usually increases, but not under Obama. I would be willing to bet that the decrease has a lot to do with the fact that a large percentage of all crimes are typically committed by blacks, and electing a black president gave blacks both respect and hope. I can see other attributing factors, but have not seen this in the campaigns, why.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/06...-straight-year

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

When underprivileged people are taking care by a President for all citizen it will always decrease the crimes and violence.

I remenber that when President Mitterand create the RMI (Revenu minimum d'insertion) crimes went down and violence dropped.

It is a fact that when the system help the underprivileged people, it gives hope and foothold to get back in the system.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, but I haven't seen Obama do anything for anyone, just a rubber stamp for everything Bush started, continued Bush's war, passed Bush's mandatory health insurance, continued and advanced Bush's patriot act to take our rights away, etc.

But all that aside, why doesn't he make these figures a serious campaign issue.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:27 AM

Ok......
Crime runs in cycles......
Up and down......

Studies over the years have indicated, in general, that crime rates fluctuate without outside influence...

Certain events may impact the rate....IE violent public demonstrations that last for a few days....

Local areas that add to crime.....IE an area heavily frequented by hard drug users....assaults and robberies will increase...

And crime rates are calculated based on 100k persons per crime...so the numbers can be misleading...

In a large sample, a serious crime is diluted by big numbers.....and some jurisdictions have placed a limit on the "size (value)" of a crime they will report...
A very large US city, has a $2500 cap ..before they will write a report....

Bottom line....in a serious political situation, crime rates need to be used carefully...or served with mustard......

my2cents......))))

Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Well Jim I would consider you the expert in that since it is your background (crime). And yes it does run in cycles. Just like the full moon cycle. Remember the media is controlled by what it reports ............or not reports.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

John, I can agree for the most part. Statistics I can argue either way, as is their design. And I personally see crime as up not down. However as no candidate is using this data, I'd hedge towards believing the data better. I would even agree with the mustard, except neither candidate seems to even care how much egg they get on there face, let alone a little mustard.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 AM
v7n Mentor

VIOLENT crime is down...and that trend is reversing itself with an increase in the 2nd half of the year.

You also need to couple this with the dramatic increase in suicides which technically are not violent crimes, but have essentially the same (or worse) outcome. Perhaps people are too despondent to kill or steal and take their own lives instead.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

easing of the ridiculous Drug laws in many states may have something to do with the declining crime rate - however this is not something the O Administration can take credit for as they have been counter productive in revising or eliminating punitive D laws.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

I think if one were to take the time to check it is more like a 12 year trend downward. And neither Bush or Bama deserve the credit.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxy View Post
Ok, but I haven't seen Obama do anything for anyone, just a rubber stamp for everything Bush started, continued Bush's war, passed Bush's mandatory health insurance, continued and advanced Bush's patriot act to take our rights away, etc.
Now you're sounding like Breeze Wood. What "Bush's mandatory health insurance" are you talking about? Obamacare is nothing more than a repackaged HillaryCare put on steroids, a complete federal takeover of the US healthcare system.

Quote:
But all that aside, why doesn't he make these figures a serious campaign issue.
What has he done to make the crime rate come down? Can you point out any particular program of his that caused the drop? I can think of several possibilities that he had nothing to do with whatsoever - passage of "shall issue" concealed carry laws in a number of states, passage of Castle Doctrine (aka Stand Your Ground) laws in a number of states. Have the crime rates dropped more in those states than in the others? While I don't have any figures one way or the other on that, my suspicion is that those states had more of a decrease than states without those laws.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

I too think it has nothing to do with any president in particular, but its just the phase. Like every other thing crime too has phases when it tops the list of problems in any country and again there are phases when crime rates are low. So giving anyone the special credit will not be the right thing to do.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Contributing Member

I don't see much difference in crime rates, there're just as many crimes in my area as there were when Bush was in office.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Lawrence, I don't see a decrease either, in fact I see a drastic increase; but I do blame that on a pathetic sheriff we have here who is more about the money he can make with the revolving door, then about cleaning up crime. And that is what I was researching when I found it to be otherwise nationally.

Bob, Since when has a politician, especially in a presidential campaign ever needed truth or fact as a reason to run his mouth? Indeed the last president that campaigned with a smidginned of truth was old Tricky Dick, and look what happened to him. It would be interesting if the Castle Doctrine was the reason for decrease. Here in Nevada we passed a seriously watered down version, you have to prove you had reason to fear for your life, so no real change.

As for a reason, that's simple: O I'm such a great President, it just happened. But if it is the Castle Doctrine that is the reason, that could make sense since O wants to disarm america. Actually the powers that be over both parties want our guns.

Breeze, I wasn't aware there was any easing of drug laws. In fact here we have had such an explosion of prison building that it is insane. We went from the one that I knew of (that we rented out space in), to they are checker boarded everywhere.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
http://www.surj.org/manminstatus.htm

Repealing Delaware's Mandatory Minimum Drug Sentencing Laws

Mandatory minimum drug sentencing laws require judges to sentence convicted drug offenders to a predetermined, fixed jail or prison term based solely on the type and weight of the drug possessed. These laws remove judges’ ability to consider the unique circumstances of each case and to accurately tailor sentences to individuals.

Who We Are

SURJ is a statewide, grassroots organization dedicated to reforming Delaware’s criminal justice system. We are committed to educating policymakers, our 3,000 members, and the public-at-large of measures proven to ensure a higher quality of justice, promote public safety, and reduce corrections costs.
* know nothing about the site - just a random search - an imbedded organization / reason for why the crime rate may be falling.

Seems every state in the country is trying to manage more correctly the "criminal justice system", the above being only one of hundreds of examples. -

including unjust prosecutions being brought to lite almost daily and is a very good reason the crime rate may be on a downward curve.

It is very disappointing the Obama Administration and the Justice Dept. are not in the forefront of criminal justice reform as they should be - They must be waiting for their second term ...

Old 09-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxy View Post
When times are hard crime usually increases, but not under Obama. I would be willing to bet that the decrease has a lot to do with the fact that a large percentage of all crimes are typically committed by blacks, and electing a black president gave blacks both respect and hope. I can see other attributing factors, but have not seen this in the campaigns, why.
That is also a valid point and I am sure it plays a slight percentage in the fgures.

That said, when he was first elected as President and came out to give his first speech, America showed its true colours on just how stereotypical and racist it was as he gave his first speech behind bullet proof glass.

I mean, come on guys, just because he's black, it doesn't mean that he's going to pull a gun out and start shooting people!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

A lot of people turn to crime as a last resort. When the are desperate. I agree with what was mentioned above about the lower class being taken care of so they are not committing as much crime to survive.

Last edited by indyonline; 09-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
That said, when he was first elected as President and came out to give his first speech, America showed its true colours on just how stereotypical and racist it was as he gave his first speech behind bullet proof glass.
That "glass" panel that appears in from of presidents is a teleprompter....)

Old 09-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Crime rate, employment rate, houses prices and other similar thins constantly fluctuate. If one thing goes up 5 years in a row, you should expect it to go down 5 years in a row. It just shows how the world is balanced. Yet, we agree with you, they should focus on it.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
That "glass" panel that appears in from of presidents is a teleprompter....)
I meant this one Jim

Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Presidents have nothing to do with the crime rate. Like the article says '5th straight year' which means if you were going to give credit, it would be to Bush for putting the policies in place. But like I said, I doubt either Obama or Bush had little to anything to do with the crime rate.

Where I live, the crime rate has skyrocketed. So I'm guessing this doesn't apply here in my state.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues