Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down Should PBS Receive Taxpayer Money?

Big Bird makes about $50 Million a year,Sesame CEO Gary Knell made $956,513 in 2008 alone. Should PBS recieve tax payer money? http://www.sodahead.com/united-state...stion-3233697/

Quote:
PBS and NPR receive about $400 million in taxpayer money every year. Should PBS continue to get a taxpayer subsidy given the massive deficit and the debt, or should this be one of many federal government programs that needs to be cut?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I see PBS doing a lot more good than a few other programs receiving tax dollars.
IMO, this one shouldn't be at the top of the list of places to start cutting.

There are so many other places where dollars can be saved.
Military spending eclipses all other departments.
Surely, you can cut enough from the military budget to completely fund PBS and they wouldn't even feel it.

Military spending in the US in 2011 was $711 billion.
PBS budget for 2011 was $0.2 billion.

PBS is the problem? Really?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Don't take my word for it...

[YT]yXEuEUQIP3Q[/YT]

Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

While I agree with Zap the the defense budget could use a good haircut also I think PBS is a waste of money and should be on the non-essential programs to get cut.

Are we going to wait until the other nations of the world treat us like Spain and Greece or are we going to make some hard choices now? Of course such action has to be taken with by some people with the necessary equipment to make the choices; not likely to happen with a bunch of pandering weenies in Washington.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

Years ago my little girls learned from PBS.......

I would rather see the money continue to go to the illegals, who make more money for doing nothing than I get after working for over 50 years....Oh...and I paid in...

Maybe the Washington geniuses could use the money improve the job situation.......never mind....

Perhaps an effort to target the money to truly educational portions of the programming....)
Not really suggesting government control...just some guidelines from an educator group and NO politicians...

Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Who gets all the money from the "Tickle Me Elmo" dolls and other Sesame Street stuff they sell at Wal-Mart and Toys 'R Us?

They're making millions (billions?) on merchandising and they still need government subsidies? Gimme a break.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

not sure just how NPR that I listen to operates through the Gov't but is meant to be commercial free - and coincidentally NPR is having a fund drive at present and have contributed.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

I would cut the funding for NPR long before I did PBS. There is nothing but talkative Liberals on there.

And the primary reason they are there is that no sponsor is willing to pay for ads for that type of show.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I would cut the funding for NPR long before I did PBS. There is nothing but talkative Liberals on there.

And the primary reason they are there is that no sponsor is willing to pay for ads for that type of show.
the point ScriptMan is that NPR is Commercial Free and available for any content or programming for those that are interested ....

car talk, etc as examples of variety -

Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

PBS and NPR budgets are nothing compared to what the US government pays to the Federal Reserve for interests, and government securities.

A little bit history to show you the magnitude in the 30's, I am wondering how much it will be today: http://rense.com/general27/gad.htm

You guys focus on a different direction to cut spendings, my question is: Does it worth keeping this racket going?

Robespierre

Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Cut both PBS and NPR. PBS will be fine, as the CEO already said, they're almost completely financed by other means and the little money the gov gives isn't needed.

NPR has lost almost all credibility recently in terms of being an unbiased source of news. Cut that too. Why use taxpayer dollars to represent only a small portion of the US citizens?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

NPR ... all Hail Public Radio -

Romney may have given the best speech of the election last nite and certainly set a positive tone for the future.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

For those who didn't read the article:

That being said, US Senator Jim DeMint notes that “from 2003 to 2006, Sesame Street made more than $211 million from toy and consumer product sales.”

“If you break that down, it works out to over $50 million a year Sesame Street is taking in from all that merchandising.”

“Yep, that one-percenter Big Bird makes about four times what Mitt Romney does annually and yet Barack Obama still wants you and I to still carry his freight.”

I don't think that Sesame Street needs taxpayer funding.

I wonder if Word Girl and Martha speaks could make it on their own.

My only concern is that there are no really good cartoons on anymore nowadays. I guess, to really make this decision, you'd have to really see the viewership, test if kids actually learn anything from the shows.... make a more educated decision.

My gut reaction is... stop funding PBS, they have enough money. But I don't want Jack to see commercials while he's watching Word Girl.

NPR .... if they can't raise money from ads, it's time for them to go.

And regarding cuts... I'd cut entitlements way before I'd cut the military. The military is 15% of the budget and entitlements are 65%.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM

In my opinion PBS shouldn't be cut. They actually provide kids with educational TV that parents can trust and rely on, and the things that they watch there are better than what they'll watch if there wasn't any PBS. PBS should be on the bottom of the list of things that needs to be cut. Who cares if Sesame Street's CEO makes hundreds of millions per year?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
NPR .... if they can't raise money from ads, it's time for them to go.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Public_Radio

NPR

NPR, formerly National Public Radio,[2][3] is a privately and publicly funded non-profit membership media organization that serves as a national syndicator to a network of 900 public radio stations in the United States.[4]

NPR produces and distributes news and cultural programming. Individual public radio stations are not required to broadcast all NPR programs that are produced. Most public radio stations broadcast a mixture of NPR programs, content from rival providers American Public Media, Public Radio International and Public Radio Exchange, and locally produced programs. NPR's flagships are two drive time news broadcasts, Morning Edition and the afternoon All Things Considered; both are carried by most NPR member stations, and are two of the most popular radio programs in the country.

NPR is a membership corporation. Member stations are required to be non-commercial or non-commercial educational radio stations ...

In contrast with commercial broadcasting, NPR does not carry traditional radio commercials, but has advertising in the form of brief statements from major donors. These statements are called underwriting spots and, unlike commercials, are governed by specific FCC restrictions in addition to truth in advertising laws; they cannot advocate a product or contain any "call to action".

In 2009, member stations derived 6% of their revenue from federal, state and local government funding, 10% of their revenue from CPB grants, and 14% of their revenue from universities. While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR’s overall revenues.

During the 1970s and early 1980s, the majority of NPR funding came from the federal government. Steps were taken during the 1980s to completely wean NPR from government support, but the 1983 funding crisis forced the network to make immediate changes. Now more money to fund the NPR network is raised from listeners, charitable foundations and corporations instead.[citation needed] According to CPB, in 2009 11.3% of the aggregate revenues of all public radio broadcasting stations were funded from federal sources, principally through CPB.

NPR produces and distributes news and cultural programming

I would say the primary reason NPR was created and is so popular is that it does not not interrupt its broadcasting with "commercial advertising".

its funding is a can of worms ... but if a little financing from the gov't is needed there is no reason such funding should not be offered in lieu of NPR's disdain for commercial advertising than for example there is a need for commercial advertising to support the Defense Department.

the previous attempt by the Republican's in the House to defund Public Broadcasting will have even less a chance with the new Congress than the immediate past and surly will not be taken seriously if even suggested.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues