Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 AM
v7n Mentor

Lance Armstrong banned for life

Lance Armstrong has been officially found guilty of doping and banned for life from Cycling by the UCI (Cyclings governing body).

He was stripped of all titles since 1998. That includes all 7 TDF *victories* which were *won* consecutively during 1999-2005.

Wiki is already updated to reflect the change in status: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Armstrong

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

At this level when big money is mixed with sports, that's the kind of stories that are exposed when some athletes cheat the system.

The dark side is that many doped athletes pay with their own lifes.

Robespierre

Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well I've read and enjoyed his books. I have enormous respect for the way he beat cancer and I have enormous respect for what he has done with Livestrong. Always sorta thought that he had to be cheating if only because non drug cheats can't beat drug cheats continuously but always gave him the benefit of the doubt and cycling friends always stuck by him.

Now I'm pleased that he has been wiped from the sport forever, sacked by Livestrong. May his name be dragged through thick mud for ever and ever.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 PM
v7n Mentor

I think it is testimony to his character that he chose to make a deal with sponsors regarding Livestrong. i.e. he agreed to step down from the charity if the sponsors currently supporting it continued to do so.

The problem for Armstrong is that he built himself into an empire, and those tend to crumble.

The other publicised doping cheats like Hamilton, Landis and Millar will probably be forgotten as cheats in time. Heck I think even most people shrugged when told that Contador cheated/doped and Schleck was given the victory.

Because he was such an emphatic winner, and created such a monumental profile, Armstrong was always going to have a long way to fall and I can't imagine that anyone will ever forget it, or forgive it.

Even Phil Ligget, cycling's voice, has gone on record as saying that Armstrong lied to his face that he never cheated/doped and he believed him, and now he feels like a fool and does not want to commentate for a second longer, but is forced to contractually till 2016.

It's that kind of revelation that will continue to haunt Lance.

There's probably a lesson in there for all of us.

Would you have doped given the chance, and given the fact that most teams were at that time? Or would you have been comfortable coming 50th place on natural ability with your ethics and integrity in tact?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Armstrong never doped in his life.

The only reason they banned him and stripped his Tour de France titles is because he got fed up with all the harassment and said no more, thus refusing doping tests.

It's like you refusing to take a breathalyzer test even if you're sober, if you refuse you are instantly arrested for DUI.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Can someone explain something to me?

I haven't followed Lance's career and am not a cycling fan.
In short, I didn't care when he was on top and I don't much care now that he is "disgraced".

But I have noticed a certain glee from some folks at the news of his demise.
Some people actually get quite giddy and very happy to be reporting on his misfortunes.
And it isn't just one or a few. I've noticed many who delight in posting stories detailing how he is now stripped of any wins and banned for life.
Can someone maybe try to explain to me why this is? Why are so many so happy about his fall from grace?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Definitely sounds like jealous to me. Perhaps they were jealous of his career and title wins and all the work he has put into Live Strong and the Armstrong Foundation.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Neron View Post
Please do not copy paste responses as it is not Quality Posting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post

Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 AM

I heard the news last night, really I got in sad mood for many hour. Armstrong was my hero and will still my hero, No matter what happen. I learn just get good thing from a person not those thing which are not good.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Oh! Whole career coming to such an end. Feeling so bad for him.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I can't prove 100% one way or the other weather he doped up or not, but the ones saying he never doped in his life... How do you know this?

I know we are talking about a cancer survivor that went on to do great things but I somehow doubt that they just wanted to tarnish his reputation based on a whim. There was a 1000 page report produced and it took years of to-ing and fro-ing to gather all the evidence.

It wasn't a decision they took lightly as it made great headlines him beating illness and going on to do so well.

In following this story as it developed, it saddens me to say it but I think he did as anyone that is not guilty will fight with all they have to vindicate their name and not just give up especially him as he wasn't a quitter, it's not in his nature to quit.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Can someone explain something to me?

I haven't followed Lance's career and am not a cycling fan.
In short, I didn't care when he was on top and I don't much care now that he is "disgraced".

Some people actually get quite giddy and very happy to be reporting on his misfortunes.
And it isn't just one or a few. I've noticed many who delight in posting stories detailing how he is now stripped of any wins and banned for life.
Can someone maybe try to explain to me why this is? Why are so many so happy about his fall from grace?
I don't think that many are happy but I know that millions of people are incredibly sad that a man they regarded as a hero was such a low person.

I guess when your entire team, your coach and your doctor are prepared to sign affidavits detailing your doping activities and you aren't prepared to defend the charges, then it points to guilt. He has vast quantities of money to defend he charges as he has made millions over his career.

Additionally when blood tests have shown signs of EPO usage and you do times that can not be achieved by non drug cheats then it points to guilt. When all the people you have beaten have since been revealed as dopers and you could beat them it points to guilt.

A lot of people have regarded him as a cheat for years, they perhaps are the ones who are reacting with glee that he is finally receiving his just desserts. He has been stripped of all his wins. We'll see if he gets charged with perjury and is jailed.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Evidence of Armstrong doping 'overwhelming,' agency says

Quote:
Cyclist Lance Armstrong was part of "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen," the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said Wednesday in releasing more than 1,000 pages of evidence in the case.

The evidence involving the U.S. Postal Service-sponsored cycling team encompasses "direct documentary evidence including financial payments, e-mails, scientific data and laboratory test results that further prove the use, possession and distribution of performance-enhancing drugs by Lance Armstrong," the agency said.

Armstrong lawyer Tim Herman dismissed what he called a "one-sided hatchet job" and a "government-funded witch hunt" against the seven-time Tour de France winner, who has consistently denied doping accusations.

Armstrong teammates recount dodging, tricking drug testers

But the USADA said 11 riders came forward to acknowledge their use of banned performance-enhancing drugs while on the team. Among them is George Hincapie, Armstrong's close teammate during his winning Tour de France runs.

"I'm not suggesting that they are all lying, but I am suggesting that each witness needs to have confrontation and cross examination to test the accuracy of their recollection," Herman said.

The USADA is sending its "reasoned decision" to the international governing body of cycling, the Union Cycliste Internationale, as well as the World Anti-Doping Agency and the World Triathlon Corporation, which runs Ironman competitions.

Highlights of the Armstrong report

In the past, Armstrong argued that he has taken more than 500 drug tests and never failed. In its 202-page report, the USADA said it had tested Armstrong less than 60 times and the UCI conducted about 215 tests.

"Thus the number of actual controls on Mr. Armstrong over the years appears to have been considerably fewer than the number claimed by Armstrong and his lawyers," the USADA said.

The agency didn't say that Armstrong ever failed one of those tests, only that his former teammates testified as to how they beat tests or avoided the test administrators altogether. Several riders also said team officials seemed to know when random drug tests were coming, the report said.

The agency also said it had a professor compare Armstrong's red cell and plasma levels from blood samples taken late in his career, and they showed levels that wouldn't be expected of an athlete competing in a three-week endurance event like the Tour de France.

What's behind the Armstrong headlines

Hincapie publicly admitted for the first time Wednesday that he took drugs.

"Early in my professional career, it became clear to me that, given the widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs by cyclists at the top of the profession, it was not possible to compete at the highest level without them," Hincapie said in a written statement. "I deeply regret that choice and sincerely apologize to my family, teammates and fans."

Hincapie testified, the report said, that he was aware of Armstrong's use of the drug EPO, or erythropoietin, which boosts the number of red blood cells, which carry oxygen to the muscles, and his use of blood transfusions.

He also testified Armstrong dropped out of a race in 2000 to avoid a positive drug test, according to the report, which was accompanied by hundred of pages of supporting documents like Hincapie's 16-page affidavit.

Three members of the Postal Service team, which changed sponsors in 2005, will contest the accusations, the agency said. They are team director Johan Bruyneel, team doctor Pedro Celaya and team trainer Jose "Pepe" Marti. Each will get a hearing before an independent judge, according to the agency.

The agency compiled the evidence as part of its investigation into doping allegations that have dogged Armstrong and the Postal Service team for years. The organization is not a governmental agency but is designated by Congress as the country's official anti-doping organization for Olympic sports.

In August, four days after a federal judge dismissed Armstrong's lawsuit seeking to block the agency's investigation, Armstrong announced he would no longer fight the accusations. The agency then announced it would ban Armstrong from the sport for life and strip him of his results dating from 1998.

"When Mr. Armstrong refused to confront the evidence against him in a hearing before neutral arbitrators, he confirmed the judgment that the era in professional cycling which he dominated as the patron of the peloton was the dirtiest ever," the USADA writes in its decision. "Peloton" refers to the main group of riders in a bike race.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/10/sport/...-investigation

Robespierre

Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Small quote from this morning's SMH.

Quote:
"Even more shocking than Armstrong's drug taking is the picture that has emerged of his character. He's not just a cheat but a bully. He used his wealth, fame and position to persecute people who blew the whistle, intimidated people, sued journalists, and used his political and business connections ruthlessly.

According to Hamilton, Armstrong dobbed him in to cycling's governing body after he beat him on Mont Ventoux, one of the most famous climbs in France. While the Armstrong saga is upsetting to the millions of Sunday morning cyclists who idolised his apparently extraordinary athletic achievements, it's probably more upsetting to the millions of cancer patients he has inspired."

Hamilton, a fellow cyclist, admits he used dope.

"In that 2003 Tour de France, Hamilton eventually finished fourth, an extraordinary performance given he broke his collarbone in two places on stage one of the race. The result made him famous; his home town held a parade in his honour. There were flags and T-shirts and placards which read: Tyler is our hero.

But as he writes in The Secret Race: "I couldn't stand it … deep down I was ashamed. Being praised made it worse." The more he tried to deflect the praise the more people liked him for being humble. He writes: "I remember thinking, 'This is what Lance lives with every day, only his is a hundred times worse.'""

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/societ...#ixzz2A9uDSu6r

Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
Definitely sounds like jealous to me. Perhaps they were jealous of his career and title wins and all the work he has put into Live Strong and the Armstrong Foundation.
I hope you two aren't referring to me. I stated clearly:

Quote:
I think it is testimony to his character that he chose to make a deal with sponsors regarding Livestrong. i.e. he agreed to step down from the charity if the sponsors currently supporting it continued to do so.
@dWhite I think it's naive to suggest he "never doped in his life". At that time in cycling it's been revealed that practically everyone was doing it. Lance's entire team was doping, so was he unaware of it and simply too good for everyone who was doping? Cmon!

Of the actual TDF winners from 1999 - 2012, only 3 haven't been convicted of doping at some point. The first 7 wins were Lance (1999-2005). Floyd Landis got done in 2006 and disqualified (he was one of the whistleblowers, many could say a disgruntled one). 2007's winner Contador was also found to be doping (he won in 2009 and 2010 too --- 2010 was given to Andy Schelck after Contador's disqualification). The only winners that haven't been pinged are Carlos Sastre, Cadel Evans, and Bradley Wiggins (2008, 2011 and 2012 respectively).

Lance is big news because he has the biggest profile. Alberto Contador was a dominant rider for years. No one batted an eyelid when he got caught doping because he doesn't have anywhere near the profile Lance Armstrong does, despite *winning* the tour 3 times in 4 years.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I hope you two aren't referring to me..
Nope. Sorry. Should have made that clear.
I found the tone of your post quite neutral.
This thread offered up the opportunity to ask the question.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

I really dont think they would have cdome down so heavily on him if he was innocent. Morelike there are loads of cyclists using sophisticated doping techniques that have been discovered and they are using Lance as a Scapegoat because of his fame.
There are clever ways to beat the tests. A legal highs shop in Eastbourne, here in the UK, said to me that they often get local police in their shop buying screening solutions to mask illegal drugs in their bodies. I am sure it goes on everywhere

Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

my friend told me about this just a few days ago... we were debating on weather is a good thing or not, as he has done so much charity stuff

Fighter jet games

Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM
v7n Mentor

I think that this is a slippery slope where it doesn't matter about facts - Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test - it has to do with how people feel about it.

Just because you have millions of dollars, should you be required to fight the US government as a citizen to clear your name of charges that are based on unsubstantiated testimony rather than science?

I mean... can't you be too excellent? too rich? too... whatever?

Well, the playing field has certainly been leveled in cycling. The French love it - the hated that he won so often. Couch potatoes everywhere are delighted that he got his come-uppance...

The idea that he is a bully for suing libelous reporters, standing up defending himself... it's sad.

So. Never fail a drug test. Have people who are jealous say you do. Get stripped of all your accomplishments.

That doesn't feel fair to me. It's a sad reflection that making it to the top of your field, working hard and getting the results you've dreamed about just puts a target on your back no matter what the occupation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/othersports/lance-armstrong-vs-usada-what-are-we-to-believe/2012/08/24/62940afa-ee0a-11e1-afd6-f55f84bc0c41_story.html

Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

I really feel bad for him, most people like him but it's his own consent that made him do what he did.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues