Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 AM
v7n Mentor

Italian court ruling sends chill through science community

Quote:
(Reuters) - Scientists reacted with alarm to the manslaughter conviction of six earthquake experts in Italy for failing to give adequate warning of the 2009 earthquake in the city of L'Aquila that killed 308 people.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89L1IC20121022

Is this for real?
www.pchelper123.com

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

This is sickening, but it doesn't surprise me in a country such as Italy.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

This is completly insane

Robespierre

Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

WC you beat me to it. I was going to post this and see what people thought.

My opinion there might have been some basis for a case had know facts been concealed. As I read this story this trial is a sham and a major miscarriage of justice.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post

My opinion there might have been some basis for a case had know facts been concealed. As I read this story this trial is a sham and a major miscarriage of justice.
Most definitely so, basically the person suing the company that made the gun that the burglar used to shoot them with kind of thing in my opinion. There are some things that should not even be allowed to be completely filed, some type of litmus test or something before a court/judge even gets the opportunity to make a bad call on...
www.pchelper123.com

Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post

Indeed - and it will have a follow-on-effect of cataclysmic proportions with Scientists everywhere fearing repurcussions should their theories not be correct. Earthquakes are impossible to predict accurately, as are various other things.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

This is really quite absurd and sickening. It's incomprehensible that this could occur at this day in age in a modern country. It's time to organize a jailbreak I think.

I think that all of the intelligent people of the world need to just start their own country and turn their back on all of the stupidity (and hopefully they'll take me with them).

Old 10-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi21 View Post
This is really quite absurd and sickening. It's incomprehensible that this could occur at this day in age in a modern country. It's time to organize a jailbreak I think.

I think that all of the intelligent people of the world need to just start their own country and turn their back on all of the stupidity (and hopefully they'll take me with them).
Who is John Galt?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

The sad truth of this is that the damage has already been done.
Even if those scientists are freed, the stigma is now in play.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 AM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
The sad truth of this is that the damage has already been done.
Even if those scientists are freed, the stigma is now in play.
It's already caused a lot of gifted Scientists in Italy to quit and state that they won't be advising the state again.

http://rt.com/news/italy-jail-scientists-reaction-061/

This could have majorly lasting effects on Science in Italy and the World.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

And, in other news...
Scientists predict non-stop catastrophic earthquakes within Italy, to continue indefinitely.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Who is John Galt?
This could turn into a fun and interesting conversation! With my comment I was just stating that the smart people (scientists, etc..) should start their own country -- similar in the basic idea as Rand's Atlas Shrugged, but with a focus on intelligence and not on their preference of an economic system. It's my impression that most of the scientists of the world, who I would think are a good measure of intelligence, most likely differ in their worldview from Galt.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

that is a crazy ruling

Fighter jet games

Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM

No one has mentioned what the sentence was. Was there jail time or a punishment that didn't involve incarceration? Was the government just trying to make a point?
Interesting side note-Are we missing out on important details now that most of us get our news from short internet blurbs?

Reply to post on smart people starting their own country-Nobody would get laid and they would all die out!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Latest Blog:
None

When I originally read the article, I thought exactly the same thing. It felt like something that could only happen in North Korea.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 PM
v7n Mentor

As I sit here just checking in, I begin to wonder as I go through all the thoughts of related types of rulings. Much like those that have been sued over such things as removing people from an accident before the car they are in explodes and kills them...sued for causing spinal damage during the rescue...those sued for causing bruising or breakage of ribs during the process of giving CPR to someone laying on the street dead, the home owner that shoots a person that breaks into their house lat at night armed with a gun, the gun company that manufactured the gun that was used in an accidental shooting, or an intentional one....any way you get the gist....so thinking of those particular things and several others, I wonder how people have died because others standing around were to afraid to act.

Those shots on the news they show from time to time that turns my stomach as someone is being mugged, laying on the ground seizing, or other moments when they need help where everyone just walks by as if they don't notice what is going on, are they due to a society becoming callus and cold to their fellow man, or are there other underlying reasons?
www.pchelper123.com

Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmagic View Post
No one has mentioned what the sentence was. Was there jail time or a punishment that didn't involve incarceration? Was the government just trying to make a point?
Interesting side note-Are we missing out on important details now that most of us get our news from short internet blurbs?

Reply to post on smart people starting their own country-Nobody would get laid and they would all die out!
It was actual time, as in multiple years. A fine would just have been a statement and not nearly as offensive.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevictorchen View Post
When I originally read the article, I thought exactly the same thing. It felt like something that could only happen in North Korea.
i agree thats how i felt.. but things just as screwed up happen with the legel system in america.

Fighter jet games

Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
v7n Mentor

Yeah we have our share of cooks, luckily they often get cut off at the pass but unfortunately not always. This is one of the contributing factors as why so many doctors do not cover certain procedures such as maternity and the like as the insurance rates are just astronomical from these types of things...

As an example, anyone remember
Quote:
Nearly everyone has a dry-cleaning horror story. But when former Judge Roy L. Pearson sued for $67 million, most people were probably pretty happy his favorite pair of pants were lost.
Pearson took on two hard-working Korean immigrants, who were so intimidated by the judge's lawsuit, they offered him $12,000 -- and the pants were only valued at $395.
http://weirdnews.about.com/od/courta...eanerJudge.htm

Just picked the first link in the list, there are plenty more on that one.
www.pchelper123.com

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues