Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 AM
v7n Mentor

As for absentee ballots and the like. I have to be honest here, I am in full agreement that this is the weak spot of the system. There has to be an ID system put in place to verify this process somehow.

If you go to Bank of America and apply for a credit card it will only be sent to the Address that is verified through whatever record system they have or you have to provide proof that you in fact do have a different address. It seems to me that using some type of system that ensures that only one absentee ballot is being sent, and that it is being sent to the actual location that person is supposed to be can and should be put in place. It is easy enough to verify if a service person is over seas or stationed at a particular location, it is easy enough to verify with an employer if someone is employed by them. Not critical personal information, just like when someone calls about an employment reference, "Does this person work for you" "Would you rehire this person" are questions that can freely be answered without offering personal information that risks security or personal information.

As for opinion on if that information should be required, well, you have a choice you can give up the social contract requirements for participating in the system or society and not offer a minimal amount of proof that is non intrusive or you can live up to responsibility and rather than a strictly one sided deal where you reap all of the reward but do not offer any thing in return.

Philosophers have written, like John Locke, that in order to be an active member of society, in order to benefit from the protections or conveniences that a society has to offer that some natural rights have to be altered or even given up in the interest of that society. This of course isn't a quote, and I surely wasn't as elegant at my wording, but the ideology behind it I think I got across. "You can't have your cake and eat it to". There are dues to be paid in order to benefit from things, one of the prices to enjoy the right to vote, the right to police protection, fireman and paramedics is that some things that you may feel is a basic right like Complete Privacy, being able to stay anonymous, etc is just something that has to be compromised to some degree.

www.pchelper123.com

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Autumn Bloom

A few years ago, I went up to Tennessee (one state away), to live with a GF.
I attempted to follow the law, get a TN dr license, and could not.

They refused to accept my GA license as proof of id!

I couldn't even open a savings account at the local bank when I had cash in hand!

The thing that is being missed by people that say that providing id is no big deal... is that since GB put the patriot act over on us, getting id has become difficult.

I eventually came back home to GA, and the ga license is accepted when I go to vote... I'm not sure what hoops Ida had to go through to get legal the next state over, but it wasn't something that everybody could easily do.

Those people being disenfranchised by the new voter id laws... aren't going to be able to get id that has never been required... easily, and getting that id in time to vote is unlikely...

When the state officials were taken to court over this nonsense, they stipulated that there wasn't a problem with voter fraud...

They spent all that effort drafting new legislation to cover a non-issue!

God forbid they woulda spent that effort and time working on some of the real issues, like people losing their homes to foreclosure, the roads that are falling apart, or all the mental health facilities that have closed.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Everyone at my polling place had their required ID out to show the workers. No show = no vote. What's the problem? Oh yeah............. dead guys have a hard time getting an ID and multiple IDs are hard to come by for the motor voting crowd.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

Tried to early vote...they would not take my state weapons licence...w/picture..
Not on the list of state approved ID.....but issued by the state...duh!!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Quote:
Not on the list of state approved ID

Quote:
http://m.kdbc.com/w/main/story/77516823/

Carolina will cast her ballot, "she used to pay to vote. Even when she had to pay it and it meant doing without something, she would do without groceries to pay the poll tax so she could vote"

the people above must think voting is something someone needs approval for ???

in the Old days if you at least had the Green you could still vote ... though not having enough was the point.

if there is a problem a thumb print is all that is needed to then allow someone to vote.

All's Well that Ends Well

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues