Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 AM
v7n Mentor

What's the ID Required Deal?

This is a touchy subject for some, and I hope that we can keep it civil, it has been touched on before but I am really puzzled to what the big deal is that an ID be required in order to vote? Just like having to provide an ID if pulled over in a car, or questioned on the street?

I do not see how this is a racist sequence of events, my entire life I have been inundated with situations where I have been required to provide an ID, even getting ready to turn 45 next month and a greying beard I still get carded from time to time when I go to buy alcohol or cigarettes. I have yet to be pulled over for speeding or a broken tail light when I wasn't asked to provide my ID. Even been in the car when my wife has gotten pulled over for speeding and had them ask for both of our ID's...so how is it that it is okay for me to have to provide ID but not for everyone?

Just to provide a little spin on things, I started having seizures in 2001, this means I haven't driven since 2001, the drivers license I had at the time expired in 2005. Only within the last year have I bothered to get a State ID due to a trip on a plane. Prior to that I didn't have an official state ID. Living in Georgia we are required to show ID in order to vote, I simply went in to the County Court House and was given a Voter's ID Card with photo that is strictly for use in order to Vote. So again, why is that such a horrible thing? How does it impede anyone's right to vote?
www.pchelper123.com

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrafters View Post
This is a touchy subject for some, and I hope that we can keep it civil, it has been touched on before but I am really puzzled to what the big deal is that an ID be required in order to vote? Just like having to provide an ID if pulled over in a car, or questioned on the street?
For me it is not a huge issue, because I lived in France for a while and the French Police can require anytime your ID, on the road, in the metro, in the streets and to vote. I always had some great contacts with the French Police Officers, they are just doing their jobs.

I am 50 years old, they don't ask me any ID when I go buy some bottles of wine or other alcohol beverages. The young ladies at the cash register are very nice and love my French accent

Robespierre

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 10-23-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

It seems logical to me that a person would be asked for ID before voting.
1. You check to see that the person is eligible to vote.
2. You help ensure that each person only votes once.

If you really want to ensure fair elections, get rid of all voting machines! It is too easy to game them.
You need a paper ballot that can be physically counted to back up every single vote.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

I'm with you guys on this one. An ID is a way of life for honest people. It does piss me off to show mine to buy booze. This grey hair should count for something.

But then a lot of those dead democrats don't have a current one.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

An ID is not a part and parcel necessary for an individual to exercise their right to vote - it is a political means of restricting the ability to vote for the those who do not have or care to have an ID.

the correct procedure would be to have suspect voters imprint their finger print (thumb) on the ballot for verification if necessary.

a thumb print imprinted on the registration form and verified if necessary on election day also would suffice the need for verification that is part and parcel to the individual exercising his Constitutional right to vote.

this election may prove the underlying motivation of Republican Administrations choosing obtrusive measures to prevent citizens their right to vote in an attempt to skew the elections outcome to their favor.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

How does a thumbprint verify age or citizenship requirements?

I have thumbs! Can I vote?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

the thumb print verifies the individual - without the possibility of a counterfeit document.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post
the thumb print verifies the individual - without the possibility of a counterfeit document.
Cool! I've always wanted to have a say in your elections.
And, as I already mentioned, I have thumbs.
This is gonna be great!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Cool! I've always wanted to have a say in your elections.
And, as I already mentioned, I have thumbs.
This is gonna be great!

is that in Sing Sing prison for voter fraud - you can not hide from a thumb print falsely registered as American ...

not to worry Zap, good behavior for being a member of V7 Network will surly help to limit your cell time.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post
is that in Sing Sing prison for voter fraud - you can not hide from a thumb print falsely registered as American ...

not to worry Zap, good behavior for being a member of V7 Network will surly help to limit your cell time.
That's silly, Breeze.
People don't go to jail in the US for voter fraud. It happens all the time.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

I live in Florida and we also have to provide a valid form of ID that must not only have a picture. The ID must also show your present address that is tied to your polling place.

Seems ok, to me.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

ok Zap, we can start voting this weekend in Florida -

I plan on voting early and often ....

Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think this is a manufactured issue created to make friction between groups of Americans.

Another way to illustrate the vast, pervasive, mind numbing, soul shattering and disenfranchising existence so many of us must painfully endure in the United States.

This is a straight forward and common sense issue. One vote. One voter ID.

<sarcastic kind of morning>

Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories...893.html?hp=f3

Voter ID laws to have smaller impact on election

Asked to name the toughest voting restrictions still in place in key swing states, Norden cited Florida’s elimination of early voting on the final Sunday before the election.

After a year in which Republican governors and Republican-led state legislatures passed an unprecedented flurry of voter legislation, opponents of the laws have had a string of successes in court this fall. Courts have delayed rulings on strict photo ID laws in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Texas and South Carolina until after the election, or the laws have been blocked until further notice. After Ohio officials passed a law slashing the number of early voting days in Ohio, a judge restored the three voting days the weekend before they began.

What's the ID Required Deal?

may prove not to be any deal at all - for the present time.

and of course early voting must have the same fraud connotations as ID's for Republicans and their deep concern for fairness. ...

Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM

I guess I am just a crazy American. I don't consider myself a conservative or liberal so I feel fairy safe on this issue when I say What a load of BS. You need an ID to buy beer then you need an ID to vote. Why wouldn't you need to produce an ID to vote? To all of my friends here from other countries-Our problem is that here in the US we have allowed the FAR Left and Far Right to take over our politics. The majority of Americans have common sense and are good people. Which of course makes us boring and not worthy of television ads.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
I think this is a manufactured issue created to make friction between groups of Americans.
There is definitely evidence to support what you say...

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news...re-needed?lite

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

Show the ID and vote.....simple...not go back to sleep....LOL

Old 11-01-2012, 04:04 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrafters View Post

I do not see how this is a racist sequence of events, my entire life I have been inundated with situations where I have been required to provide an ID, even getting ready to turn 45 next month and a greying beard I still get carded from time to time when I go to buy alcohol or cigarettes. I have yet to be pulled over for speeding or a broken tail light when I wasn't asked to provide my ID. Even been in the car when my wife has gotten pulled over for speeding and had them ask for both of our ID's...so how is it that it is okay for me to have to provide ID but not for everyone?

Just to provide a little spin on things, I started having seizures in 2001, this means I haven't driven since 2001, the drivers license I had at the time expired in 2005. Only within the last year have I bothered to get a State ID due to a trip on a plane. Prior to that I didn't have an official state ID. Living in Georgia we are required to show ID in order to vote, I simply went in to the County Court House and was given a Voter's ID Card with photo that is strictly for use in order to Vote. So again, why is that such a horrible thing? How does it impede anyone's right to vote?
We have a state ID available to us that looks like a drivers license but serves only to prove age and identity. There are as in your case people that dont have a drivers license, and we had this system years before we ever passed any voter ID requirements. Kinda necessary cause you need a photo id for a lot more than driving.

It's easy to get one... I had to get one when i lost my license for a while. [whole nuther story, but as Ron White said... It was profiling... They were arresting everyone driving down that particular sidewalk.] The big fuss about voter IDs disenfranchising legitimate voters is a joke here. Too easy to get an ID.

It WILL however very likely disenfranchise dead people and illegal aliens, which is why there's a flap. Those have traditionally voted in this state for the same party thats throwing a fit about this being "voter suppression". I plan to get buried in a different state just so i dont elect any democrats after i die. :-p

Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
There is definitely evidence to support what you say...

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news...re-needed?lite
Thanks for sharing this article, Zap. I like this paragraph:

There is more fraud in absentee ballots and voter registration than any other categories. The analysis shows 491 cases of absentee ballot fraud and 400 cases of registration fraud. A required photo ID at the polls would not have prevented these cases. “The one issue I think is potentially important, though more or less ignored, is the overuse of absentee balloting, which provides far more opportunity for fraud and intimidation than on-site voter fraud,” said Daniel Lowenstein, a UCLA School of Law professor.

But I do have one question .... how do you intimidate an absentee voter? <shrug>

With the exception of our armed services and American citizens workng abroad, IMHO, I think that everyone should just show up on Tuesday and vote.

I don't really understand all the early voting.

I guess that some places would have really long lines. Since polling stations are at schools and there seems to be one of those in every neighborhood, I'd love to see an investment in more easy to use and plentiful voting stations.

Wouldn't it be more exciting if we didn't have to hear about how people are supposedly voting weeks before the big event. Like not knowing the sex of the baby.....

All I know is one way or the other, after the results of the election are announced I suspect there will be cocktails here.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
I plan to get buried in a different state just so i dont elect any democrats after i die. :-p
Sorry I messed commenting in my post below, Rob.

Funny.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues