Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Moms, Adderal and Addiction

This is a really disturbing trend... moms addicted to basically just another form of speed.

Supermom's Secret Addiction: Stepping Out of Adderall's Shadow

"I grew up in a house where my mom was very neat," she said. "Everything was really clean, beautiful dinners every night and that didn't come naturally for me."

Several years ago, one of Degree's children was prescribed Adderall, a central nervous system stimulant, for ADHD. In a moment of desperation she stole a pill from her own child and the addiction was almost immediate.

What do you think about this issue? What do you think is contributing to this kind of apparent widespread use of stimulant drugs.

I know I've been tempted... but have made a choice to try to eat right, exercise and just be healthier. Also giving up on the idea that I can do it all.

Are moms under more pressure than they used to be?

Is an addiction worth it for a clean house and a pot roast meal on the table?

Could this be related to the worsening economy and women's desire to be effective in and out of the home while trying to get all the bills paid?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
What do you think about this issue? What do you think is contributing to this kind of apparent widespread use of stimulant drugs.

I know I've been tempted... but have made a choice to try to eat right, exercise and just be healthier. Also giving up on the idea that I can do it all.
I think you just hit upon some of the leading factors that would send a parent in the direction of this drug...
Poor diet, no exercise, generally unhealthy lifestyle and wanting to "do it all".

I think we've been conditioned to go for the quick fix first with our fast food / immediate gratification society.
And it hasn't helped much that there seems to be a pill for everything these days.
Quick and easy... I just take this pill and I can avoid the heavy lifting that goes along with life.

Kudos to you for not taking that route.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Part of the problem in America is the speed in which they diagnose children with disorders which allow them access to these drugs. I was considered to have ADD/ADHD and suspected Aspergers however medication was never even discussed because except in extreme cases it's not necessary and does further harm.

Another thing is, women are expected to work in general know, however in many places they both work and take part in the traditional duties of women of the house, IE keeping it clean, cooking etc. Ya'll should take a page out of my folks books and make the kid do it.

Is it related to a worsening economy, no - the economy is **** everywhere, however so many people use it as a blame-tool for everything. I was brought up on the solid values that hard work pays off, drugs are bad and common sense is good so I don't blame the economy for my situation, but I don't take medication to help me through it and still manage to get stuff done.

The fact that she was willing to steal medication from her son show's what type of character she has, what if that drug had been needed.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

IMO, the whole thing is a society issue.

Always living faster and faster, more productive and more productive, working more and more for less and less, etc

Now people are living in a total artificial life, softwares to check the kids because mom and dad are working, no more cooking because mom and dad are so tired after work that the whole familily eat junk foods, etc etc etc.

At some point enough is enough, and you have to back off from this life and realize that there is another way to live healthier. Perhaps it is not a way, where you make a lot of money but rather just a simple and happy family life.

Robespierre

Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
IMO, the whole thing is a society issue.

Always living faster and faster, more productive and more productive, working more and more for less and less, etc

Now people are living in a total artificial life, softwares to check the kids because mom and dad are working, no more cooking because mom and dad are so tired after work that the whole familily eat junk foods, etc etc etc.

At some point enough is enough, and you have to back off from this life and realize that there is another way to live healthier. Perhaps it is not a way, where you make a lot of money but rather just a simple and happy family life.
So True. Couldn't have said it better myself. People need to slow down. But sadly I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Chad

Old 10-25-2012, 04:55 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Dec. 3, 2007) — Why do mental illness and drug addiction so often go together? New research reveals that this type of dual diagnosis may stem from a common cause: developmental changes in the amygdala, a walnut-shaped part of the brain linked to fear, anxiety and other emotions.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1203090143.htm

A little old but what isn't these days, you have opened up a real kettle of fish on this one :-) There are really to many variables to ever really come up with a reliable answer, certainly not a one conclusion fits all answer.

What causes addiction? Those reasons too are to many to isolate into an easy answer though many try. Addiction can be genetic, as shown in the article above they can be the result of or cause of other mental illnesses, truth be know we all have some type of mental illness(es) the only separating factor between those who are considered mentally ill and those who are "normal" is the quality of life scale. If their quirks allow them to lead a productive and for the most part uninhibited life that allows functioning in society, or in the least not interfering with it then they are within the acceptable normal standards. If on the other hand they are so moody they are unable to work unable to care for kids, other things cause them not to be able to form relationships and so on then the quirks become identified as a form of mental illness as they inhibit lifestyle and productivity.

With that little piece said, like stated earlier often genetics have a lot to do with it some are simply programmed differently and more susceptible to things more than others. As to what causes those genetic programs to activate? There again to each their own so there is not really any determining on an individual basis, just a general "typically" or "usually" view. Depression caused by simply today's life as earlier stated is likely a large factor be it heart, kidney, headache, seizures, insomnia....well you see where I am going, stress has a very large role to play in symptoms showing up for a multitude of psychological and physiological conditions.

It has been shown that Bipolar disorder is indeed something that is related to genetics, doesn't mean if you lack the genetics you won't get it, and it doesn't mean if you do have the gene that you will, simply that you have a greater chance with that genetic signature.

I wrote a paper on Nicotine addiction a couple of years ago but I can't find it and do not remember names, to put into short layman terms There are neurotransmitters such as dopamine that cause a pleasure type feeling, be it raised heart rate, relaxation, whatever...this holds true for more than just nicotine but....at any rate there are neurotransmitters/chemicals who have the purpose of after a proposed time begin to subside that rush of pleasure. One of the reason nicotine is so addictive is that it not only increases the pleasure chemical but also inhibits the counter agent so to speak from acting out its role for a prolonged period of time, a reason to why most people who smoke do so on a timed basis. Leaving the psychological/habitual related aspects out of it any how...
www.pchelper123.com

Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 PM
v7n Mentor

As a short continuance, another interesting thing to throw into the consideration pool is....

Quote:
In some ways, Maslow’s ideas were brilliant, and later research and theory has supported them. For example, Maslow was rebelling against the traditional Behaviorist assumption that there were only a few primary motives (such as hunger and thirst, for example) and that all other motives were derived from those via classical conditioning experiences. He argued that there were multiple independent motivational systems involved in seeking safety, the desire for love, and the need for esteem, and that these were not directly connected to those basic physiological desires. Later research from neuroscience and evolutionary biology has supported this idea quite well.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ary-foundation

Bring in the Maslow Pyramid old or updated and you get a better perspective perhaps of what motivates certain things to happen, everyone being different the timing and main triggers differ but the underlying foundation remains pretty much the same.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 PM

I remember my Mom telling me how easy it was in the 70's to get speed from your Doctor. They gave all the housewives diet pills which were later revealed to be speed. God Bless Mother's everywhere!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues