Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Anarchy Along The Jersey Shore And On Long Island In The Aftermath Of Hurricane Sandy

Quote:
Hurricane Sandy is another reminder of just how incredibly fragile the thin veneer of civilization that we all take for granted on a daily basis really is. Many of the hardest hit areas along the Jersey shore and the coast of Long Island have descended into a state of anarchy. More than 7 million people live on Long Island, and millions more live along the Jersey shore and right now they are getting a taste of what life would be like during a total economic meltdown. At the moment, there are still approximately 4.7 million homes and businesses that do not have power. Officials say that some of those homes and businesses may not have their power restored until the weekend of November 10th and 11th. Meanwhile, it is getting very cold at night. This weekend the low temperatures on Long Island are supposed to dip into the upper thirties. There have been reports of people diving into dumpsters behind supermarkets in a desperate search for food, and there have been other reports of roaming gangs of criminals posing as officials from FEMA or Con Edison and then robbing families at gunpoint once they have gained entrance into their homes. If people will behave like this during a temporary emergency that lasts only a few days, what would they do during a total economic collapse? That is a frightening thing to think about.

Most gas stations along the Jersey shore and on Long Island are either totally out of gasoline or they don't have any power to operate the gas pumps. It is estimated that more than half of all gas stations in New York City are closed at the moment, and officials say that more than 80 percent of all gas stations in New Jersey are not able to sell gas right now. So needless to say, the lines at the gas stations that remain open are horrific.

It is being reported that some people are waiting in line for hours for gasoline in some areas and that state troopers have actually been deployed at every gas station along the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway.

The following is how one New Jersey mayor described the situation...
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...urricane-sandy

It seems like even after Katrina, they didn't learn their lessons...

What are your thoughts?

Robespierre

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 11-02-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Sandy-Starved New Yorkers Dumpster Dive

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/o...Dive/176839571

What a disorganized help, man I cannot believe that happened here in US!

Robespierre

Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Frustrated Sandy Victims Beg for Supplies, Officials Say Fuel Is on the Way

Quote:
Hungry, weary New Yorkers with flooded homes and no power for days are begging officials for help as motorists are becoming increasingly desperate for gas -- waiting in line at the pump for hours, and in one case, pulling a gun to get fuel.

With gasoline supplies scarce, many stations in and around the tri-state closed up shop while stations still open drew long lines of cars that spilled out onto roadways.

Cabdriver Harum Prince joined a nearly mile-long line for gasoline Friday in Manhattan after already spending three hours in a similar queue in the Bronx — only to have the station run out of gas when it was almost his turn.

"I don't blame anybody," he said. "God, he knows why he brought this storm."

Authorities say a driver was arrested after he tried to cut in line at a gas station in Queens early Thursday and pointed a pistol at another motorist who complained.

Sandy damaged ports that accept fuel tankers and flooded underground equipment that sends fuel through pipelines. Without power, fuel terminals can't pump gasoline onto tanker trucks, and gas stations can't pump fuel into customers' cars.

The Port of New York and New Jersey was slowly starting to accept tankers, but some cargo was being diverted to the Port of Virginia. Federal requirements for low-smog gasoline have been lifted, and fuel trucks are on their way to the area.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...176885371.html

Robespierre

Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The media do love to use that word 'anarchy' wherever possible. I would have used 'looting' instead...

Illuminati Agenda - What Is The Illuminati? Who Are The Illuminati And What Have They Got Planned For YOU?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe View Post
The media do love to use that word 'anarchy' wherever possible. I would have used 'looting' instead...
I would have used the word chaos.

It is scandalous that after 4 days people do not have help, food, gas, and clean water in some areas.

What the purpose to have a big agency that is so disorganized?

I always said, and I will say it again, the Army would do a better job with their organization and their equipments, perhaps the government should give them the authority to take care of national disasters.

Robespierre

Old 11-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I was lucky to not lose power in this storm here in south Jersey but I still have family members up north that have no power and about to go crazy. My uncle has a lot of guns and he will only use it if someone trying to break into his apartment that has no electric AND no running water or someone tries to steal 1 of his generators. I worked for my uncle on the weekens for the past 4 months (last day was Oct. 29th I worked for him), I know how he thinks and if it had to come down to breaking into a store or robbing someone for a bottle of water he would.

It's survival of the fittest at this point. Some of you live in a warm climate but here in NJ/NY we now in winter season and the temp. will be getting colder and colder every night. My uncles daugher has 2 young daughters and even her she is without power for a week and is a single mother. She is doing whatever she can to provide her kids with warm clean cloths and food and I don't even know if she has went off the deep end yet. With no heat/electric, running water and waiting in line for gas for hours or just to get some food you can only take so much before you snap. Our state and gov. is doing a great job in helping the people but us NJ folks want things working like yesterday and will lose our cool easily. The criminal's take this bad thing for our state and try to hurt innocent people.

We need more police and more troops along our shore lines and where the power has been out all week to help provide aid, food, medicine and gas. The faster the help, the less chance's at this crap happening.

I'm sorry but i would do anything to get a bottle of water or something to feed my family if I had no power for a week. I just got an email from our township that we need to lower our water usage till our gov. says it's ok to go back to normal. NJ is a mess and we NJ folks do have a bad side and you are seeing it now.

Last edited by snakeair; 11-02-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Man, it breaks my heart to see this mess, this is all I have to say.

Robespierre

Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Staten Island Sandy victims: We're being ignored

Quote:
Across storm-ravaged Staten Island, frustrations are mounting. One resident there told CBS station WCBS, "We're gonna die! We're gonna freeze! We've got 90-year-old people!"

Residents are outraged, claiming their community has been ignored in the days following Sandy while aid pours into other parts of New York and New Jersey. Natvel Pritchard, of Staten Island, said, "Though people don't talk about Staten Island much, people are here, a lot of people are hurting, so it's upsetting."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_1...being-ignored/

Robespierre

Old 11-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

How to Help Hurricane Sandy Victims

Quote:
If you aren't able to personally provide shelter and supplies to those affected by Hurricane Sandy, it doesn't mean you can't help at all. There are many organizations along the East Coast that are providing shelter, food and other supplies to victims of superstorm Sandy.

One way to help is by donating to the Red Cross. All donations will provide shelter, food, emotional support and other assistance to those affected by the storm. To donate, visit www.redcross.org, call 800-Red-Cross or text the word "Redcross" to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Nearly 100 Red Cross blood drives were canceled because of Sandy, so blood supplies are low in the areas affected the most. The Red Cross asks that those who can donate to schedule an appointment to give blood. The New York Blood Center is urging people to donate blood for those in the New York/New Jersey area. To donate, call 800-933-2566 or visit www.nybloodcenter.org.

The Salvation Army has dozens of mobile feeding units and shelters along the East Coast that are working to serve thousands in the most heavily hit areas. Visit www.salvationarmyusa.org to donate.

Feeding America has thousands of pounds of emergency food, water and supplies in the disaster zone that it is working to distribute to the storm's victims. To donate, visit www.feedingamerica.org or call 800-910-5524.

AmeriCares is providing medicine and other supplies to people affected by Hurricane Sandy. To donate, visit www.americares.org.

World Vision is distributing flood clean-up kits, personal hygiene items and emergency food kits to people hit by the hurricane. To donate, visit www.worldvision.org.

Save the Children is also working to provide relief to families and their children. Visit www.savethechildren.org to donate.

Samaritan's Purse is asking for volunteers to help storm victims. To volunteer, visit their website.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-s...ry?id=17598687

Robespierre

Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Damn guys. Don't people ever learn from previous mistakes!

There are services and military that can get in there in double-quick time with much needed supplies but I guess there is too much red tape to cut through

Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

previous mistakes ???

I guess it requires a tragedy for people to realize what is happening around them -

and a strong central gov't to conduct the appropriate planning and utilizing the resources available to best serve the various situations.

I am sorry for the people but am equally concerned for the Garden - the oil and gas contamination alone is devastating for what naturally was a cleansing event.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 11-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Many of the "preppers" who were labelled by government as tinfoil hat type dangerous people (even possible terrorists) are now the same people who are using their own firearms to help police keep the peace and providing their neighbours with food and water that they have stored.
It would seem that prepping isn't such a bad thing after all.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues