Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down Oklahoma's Open Carry Law

As of last Thursday, those with a state issued permit are now allowed to carry their guns openly (with some restrictions) in Oklahoma. http://newsok.com/everything-you-nee...rticle/3724415

Do you feel this with have an impact on crime? Why do you feel that way? Do you have any statistics or reliable resources to back up your thoughts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Open carry has always been legal in Kentucky, no permits required. In the urban areas not many people do it but it is legal.

I don't think it will make a statistical difference but it might provide some satisfaction to a lucky few.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:27 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think that if I wanted to rob a gas station, I'd do it somewhere other than Oklahoma.

It would be interesting to see the statistics of how many people actually take them up on the change in policy.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I will say exactly the same thing mentioned by ScriptMan.

Nevada is a traditional open carry state.

Robespierre

Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

IMO......think it is better when the bad guys don't know who has a gun......

Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yeah, just read yesterday that I and my fellow countrymen are 45 times more likely to die from a rare skin melanoma cancer than we are from a homicide. I'll be packing the sun screen for sure.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Q. What are the requirements to legally carry a weapon openly under the new law?

In general, carrying a weapon, loaded or unloaded, is prohibited in Oklahoma. But under the new legislation, an exception is made for people with a state-issued handgun license. Business owners and private property owners also may carry their firearms openly on their property under the new law.
is there anything new in the above - except the carry permit people in OK are now paying someone for what everyone else in the country already does for free - on their own property ???

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

With the permit they may carry it in public.

Quote:
In general, carrying a weapon, loaded or unloaded, is prohibited in Oklahoma. But under the new legislation, an exception is made for people with a state-issued handgun license. Business owners and private property owners also may carry their firearms openly on their property under the new law.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
With the permit they may carry it in public.
I guess my disbelief they would write such a law obscured my reading correctly what it said ...

going back to the Wild West days, there was an underlying wisdom from first hand experience for the Laws they passed in regards to Firearms - their consensus leave them at Home attitude.

- a poorly construed and provocative law passed by thoughtless radicals ...

Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post
I guess my disbelief they would write such a law obscured my reading correctly what it said ...

going back to the Wild West days, there was an underlying wisdom from first hand experience for the Laws they passed in regards to Firearms - their consensus leave them at Home attitude.

- a poorly construed and provocative law passed by thoughtless radicals ...
While I certainly encourage your thoughts and opinions in this community, I do request that you share them in a respectful manner. This type of wording is NOT acceptable in this community. If you are unsure what I consider to be inflammatory comments, please take a moment to review the following thread.
http://www.v7n.com/forums/controvers...ry-topics.html

Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I apologize Cricket and reading the bold lettering agree with your comment completely -

I have been trying to conform to your reasonable and appropriate policies and making the above statement is something that when confronted with is a regrettable embarrassment.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

In a follow up to my flippant answer below..... or above depending on how you read the forum... perhaps I should say... past post.

According to the CATO institute, open carry laws reduce crime.

It explores some myths about gun control.

http://www.cato.org/publications/com...yths-realities

Two that caught my eye were:

1. Thousands of children die annually in gun accidents.

False. Gun accidents involving children are actually at record lows, although you wouldn't know it from listening to the mainstream media. In 1997, the last year for which data are available, only 142 children under 15 years of age died in gun accidents, and the total number of gun-related deaths for this age group was 642. More children die each year in accidents involving bikes, space heaters or drownings. The often repeated claim that 12 children per day die from gun violence includes "children" up to 20 years of age, the great majority of whom are young adult males who die in gang-related violence.

6. Lower murder rates in foreign countries prove that gun control works.

False. This is one of the favorite arguments of gun control proponents, and yet the facts show that there is simply no correlation between gun control laws and murder or suicide rates across a wide spectrum of nations and cultures. In Israel and Switzerland, for example, a license to possess guns is available on demand to every law-abiding adult, and guns are easily obtainable in both nations. Both countries also allow widespread carrying of concealed firearms, and yet, admits Dr. Arthur Kellerman, one of the foremost medical advocates of gun control, Switzerland and Israel "have rates of homicide that are low despite rates of home firearm ownership that are at least as high as those in the United States." A comparison of crime rates within Europe reveals no correlation between access to guns and crime.

The basic premise of the gun control movement, that easy access to guns causes higher crime, is contradicted by the facts, by history and by reason. Let's hope more people are catching on.

Last edited by txshellie; 11-09-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: my post may not have been below. :)

Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I complety agree with TxShellie.

An interesting article to read:

Those peaceful Europeans own more guns than you think

Quote:
...The result, in countries with tough laws, like the UK, is that you might have more than twice as many firearms owned in the shadows as out in the open. In France, more than five times as many guns are held illegally as legally.

So, Europeans are not so disarmed.

Why does this matter?

Well, if your population turns to supporting black markets, the logic of those illicit markets prevails. Once the mechanisms for satisfying demand move beyond the reach of the law, they acknowledge few limits. Again, from the Small Arms Survey 2003:

“European criminals appear to be switching to heavier armaments. Instead of less capable revolvers, they increasingly have fully automatic pistols. Instead of hunting weapons, police are more commonly recovering sub-machine guns. Even larger weapons appear irregularly, illustrated when British police seized heavy machine guns and a mortar in March 2001.

With that booming underground market in place, you didn't think criminals were going to confine themselves to a few pocket pistols, did you?

And as illegally well-armed as many Europeans are, they're just not in a position to use those weapons against the armed bad guys the way the Londoners of 1909 were. Carrying a pistol in Edwardian times was a right, and chasing down a criminal was a civic duty. Doing the same these days carries a long prison sentence. The modern German gun owner may well use an illegal pistol to defend himself against a murderer -- after all, arrest is better than death. But he has good reason to resist the good samaritan urge to race around the corner to assist a stranger.

So Europeans still own their guns and they may even carry them, but they reserve their use for rare circumstances...
http://www.examiner.com/article/thos...than-you-think

Robespierre

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://marketdailynews.com/2012/11/0...52yprVZiw60.99

Senator Dianne Feinstein Moves To Ban ALL Assault Rifles, High Capacity Magazines, and Pistol Grips

well, some people would rather have peace of mind without guns on the street whoever may be carrying them ...

the article above is pro NRA with Feinstein as their target whether their comentary is accurate or not.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Get me a copy of that picture. I think it would make a nice target.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

All they are going to do with any kind of gun ban is opening a new black market and contreband opportunity for gangsters.

It is like the illegal drugs...that's just genius!

Robespierre

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues