Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-21-2006, 09:54 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Plus, why does everone always make the athletes to teachers comparison as if they were comparable fields? Why not professional musicians, actors, ect. It's the same thing.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 09:57 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeejo
Ferre - think about it....we pay our athletes millions of dollars (some who can't even read) and pay our teachers and social workers barely above poverty level.
Well, the state isn't paying those athletes do they? I thought it was those sport clubs that do that. Same happens everywhere else, some sports like football, tennis and American rugby are backed up by huge media interests all over the world, while other sports that are less popualar don't have such well paid athletes. I still have to see the first millionair in non-popular sports.

As for paying teachers and social workers much, somehow I have the feeling that not many Americans earn above $9.50/hour, that's the number I keep hearing when people talk about how much they earn.

Again, I do not think that's a pure American problem but quite common in our western culture where you find that rewards for labor are measured in the amount of power that people have, rather than their real productivity.

To come back to the military budget, I don't think there's any balance when 90% of all tax money goes to a military budget in a country where so many people live in trailer parks because of poverty and where every day people die because they can not afford good medical care.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:57 AM
xo mudslide

they aren't comparable - however, it shows where "we" place importance.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

It is a another good argument against public education. Teachers pay rates, poor results, on and on. The only saviour for education in privatization of the entire entity.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:00 AM
xo mudslide

um...private school teachers make very little as well. Catholic teachers make less than public school teachers

Old 06-21-2006, 10:09 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Um, yeah, but full privitization would fix that to a good degree as well. But face it, teachers are never gonna make the same kind of money that someone will in a field that's generating billions yearly. It has nothing to do with where "we" place importance...it's simple math.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
As for paying teachers and social workers much, somehow I have the feeling that not many Americans earn above $9.50/hour, that's the number I keep hearing when people talk about how much they earn.
thats on the lowside but not too far off... I think the average national household income is around 54,000 right now, so divided by 2080 = $26hr, and if you have two earners in the house, $13/hr.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:28 AM
xo mudslide

Of course has to do with where we place importance. How many school levys pass?

Old 06-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

teachers dont' really do anything to better themselves. and I agree that some form of privitization would help. I've felt that way for years. Something else that may help, is getting rid of the ridiculous unions they pay into every month.

For the most part, teachers pay into unions whether they need them or not (which they don't) and get raises whether they deserve them or not. (which many don't.) Eliminating the Unions alone would give every teacher a raise and the eliminated beauracracy would cut costs for the schools.

I agree that teachers are under paid but I have yet to see anyone offer real solutions. (not picking on you Christy, by "anyone" I mean teachers, government officials, etc.).

Old 06-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
How many school levys pass?
I vote down most levy's in our area because the money almost always goes into things which I consider unimportant, rather than for the teachers. I would vote for teacher raises.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:36 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'm not anti-teacher. It's just a fact that individuals who possess extreme, rare talents that can be marketed for mass income will make more than those in an industry that can be simply taught. There's nothing unfair about it.

I agree teachers should earn better than they do. I also recognize that as long as that system is government controlled, little can be, or is going to be done to fix it.

Quote:
Eliminating the Unions alone would give every teacher a raise and the eliminated beauracracy would cut costs for the schools.
Unions suck.

Last edited by South; 06-21-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Ferre, to some degree, the government does pay athletes.

Quote:
Well, the state isn't paying those athletes do they?
Usually local governments pay for the arenas, domes, fields, etc that the athletes play on/in. However, they don't do it just for sport, they treat them as investments. The local Cities/counties usually will balance whether the income from tourism, athlete salary taxes, etc will eventually justify the costs. And when it costs more to support a team by way of arena, then the team brings in? The team goes away.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Eliminating the Unions alone would give every teacher a raise and the eliminated beauracracy would cut costs for the schools.
Unions suck.
Agreed!!!

I read an article that said the average union employee makes $15 an hour more than a non-union employee of the same job. But you know what? Most of the higher paid union jobs I'm familiar with ($40-70+/hr) pay $20+/hr in union dues!!! Ridiculous!

Cut the union out, give the employee an extra $10/hr ($21,000 year!!!!) and the employer saves just as much!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues