Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Judge Rules Teen Molester Has a Right to Social Media, Do You Agree?

Please read the blog post before you post your thoughts.

Quote:
Think about how often you use the internet. Seriously, just think about it for a second. Iím willing to bet that the vast majority of people would severely underestimate their dependence. Sure, maybe you donít really get on Facebook or Twitter all that often. Maybe youíre not an online gamer. But whenís the last time you sent an email? Looked up a restaurant or used online maps? Hell, whenís the last time you Googled something?

Of course, Iím making a silly argument. Everyone knows that the internet has become an indelible part of everyday life for most people. But would you go so far as to say that access to the internet and social media has become an unalienable right? One that if restricted, violates the constitution?

If you answered yes to that, letís tack on another layer. Would you still say it was a right for some of the worst criminal offenders imaginable? Those guilty of sex crimes? How about another layer. What if the criminal in question was a minor?

A California Appellate judge has ruled that the probation conditions of a 15-year-old boy that barred him from accessing a...
Continued at: http://www.webpronews.com/judge-rule...-agree-2012-11

Dicuss....

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

This is a difficult one because on one side of the coin I would say that he should have no rights due to his crimes, but then again, can others that have commited different crimes use a computer? If they can then it is a grey area.
Quote:
Then again, heís 15. And over the next (8, at the maximum) years, a ban on non-academic computer use and social media use would cripple his ability to do so many things in modern society. Can we really cut people off like that? Is there some happy medium that protects kids and doesnít restrict rights beyond whatís proper?
This point is pretty valid because once he has served his (wayyy too short) time, he is going to need to work and not giving him the skills to work would probably push him into either living off the state or even possibly a life of more crime.

Bottom line is that I would say that he should be monitored online, especially due to the environment one can create online and there should be no complaints about being monitored on all he does during his sentencing time. Can't see anything wrong with that, otherwise what is the use of being punished for a crime if you almost still have the same rights!!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Convicted sex offenders are prohibited from using Facebook. Once we are able to verify a user’s status as a sex offender, we immediately disable their account and remove their account and all information associated with it. http://www.facebook.com/help/210081519032737/
Facebook does not allow it so it doesn't much matter if the judge thinks it is okay ofr him to use FB.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Facebook does not allow it so it doesn't much matter if the judge thinks it is okay ofr him to use FB.
Seems like Facebook have more common sense than the law.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

I read this story this morning and decided not to post it, but I will respond to it.

While I detest what he did I think the judge's opinion is well reasoned. No evidence exists that a computer played any part in the crime. We must be a nation of laws and follow those laws. When we aren't happy with the results we have the right and duty to try change the law though the proper channels and not from the judicial bench.

Show me some legal precedent and I will support the ban. In the interim I am forced to agree with the judge and Facebook's policy.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Most states also do not allow sex offenders within 1000+ feet of schools and parks either (where children come together) even though the crime did not involve schools or parks. I am truly sorry but when it comes to sex offenders I am far more concerned about their exposure to more children than I am their rights.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Most states also do not allow sex offenders within 1000+ feet of schools and parks either (where children come together) even though the crime did not involve schools or parks. I am truly sorry but when it comes to sex offenders I am far more concerned about their exposure to more children than I am their rights.
And I fully agree with you in principal. That is what made my position so difficult to post. I do however believe in the law. And the most detestable among us must be defended for the safety of all. If this does not get overturned on appeal then the law needs to be clarified, amended, rewritten whatever it takes.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Since he can use a computer in an educational capacity, I think that the ruling for him to stay off of social media and a computer for other purposes is just and perfectly reasonable ... especially in light of facebook's across the board policy.

Apparently, this "grounding" is the worst thing that is happening to him as a result of his crime. I don't see here that he served any time or served any community service hours. If you all see that somewhere that I don't, please post.

I was disturbed by the comments after the article and the suggestion that messing with a toddler was ... fine... experimental??

<insert your choice of invective> that. Cursing on a Sunday......sorry. It just seems like an appropriate response.

Somehow we as a society are losing sight of appropriate behavior and commensurate punishment. In fact, in the comments of this story, it suggests that he's not a criminal at all but possibly a victim of circumstance who needs therapy ... not punishment.

I guess that's another thread.......

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues