Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Personally, I'd like to see voluntary participation in the union offered anywhere there is one.
One should have the option to deal directly with management and avoid joining a union where one exists.
Actually that's how it works in France for the companies with more than 50 employees. You've got an employee delegate in small companies of 11 employees, 1 delegate and 1 union delegates in companies with more than 50 employees, etc

We are making the distinction between both, so it is not necessary the union who will represent the employees, but they are there to give all legal information.

Look we have an entire "Code du travail" labor laws and that's huge.
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affich...Texte=20121117

I didn't find the English version, but you can translate the pages.

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

You have also the convention collectives which are agreements between employers and workers for each industry. They are specifications about wages, work hours, and overtime.

Again in each company with more than 50 employees there is a delegate of "comité d'entreprise" which manage the employees company fund, the employer need to give 1% of his company profit (that's the law) for "le comité d'entreprise" which is an employees fund used for reductions on shows, travels, vacations, stores, etc

Robespierre

Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

My current understanding is that Mckee Foods owner of Little Debbie is not a union shop. That and product quality might explain why they can be cheaper.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
A unionized workforce often earns higher wages. However, according to Francis Kramarz, an economics professor at Ecole Polytechnique in France, this increase in wages may come at the expense of fewer jobs. Union members generally pay dues and, according to Kramarz, outsourcing labor to other countries can raise the cost of dues. Union workers are more likely to receive benefits than those in a non-unionized workforce, according to the BLS. Regardless if a work force is unionized or not, companies and employees rely on the viability of the enterprise and the continuity of production, which a company can achieve through structural and managerial changes. Some union policies may detract from worker satisfaction and lead to higher rates of employee turnover, poor work quality and strikes.
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/diffe...rce-22350.html

Quote:
Research indicates that the cost of running a unionized operation is 25% to 35% greater than for a non-unionized one, and this figure does not reflect any negotiated changes in unionized employee wages or benefits. As an illustration consider what we found at a recent Adams, Nash, Haskell & Sheridan national seminar when we reviewed the administrative budgets of a major manufacturing company. This well-known company operates 30 manufacturing plants; half are union free and half are unionized all or in part. The administrative budgets of the unionized plants were 30% higher due to:
http://www.anh.com/Content/The_Cost_of_Unions.asp
www.pchelper123.com

Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Christmas could be a little tough without Ho Hos.

no ho zone stickers by basement143
Browse other Christmas Stickers

Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrafters View Post
Ecole Polytechnique in France? lol most of them are just kids from the riches, of course they will say that, plus a lot of them will never work in the private sector, they usually go in the Army or the government

Robespierre

Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Frankly many people in France criticize the Unions, but they forgot what the Unions and their members obtained from strikes, negociations with the employers, etc, etc to make the working conditions better for the workers.

They can thank them for the "code du travail" and "convention collectives", 5 weeks (6 in Paris) paid vacations, illimited sick days paid, health care system and all the social benefits.

Today I don't know anyone who wants to get out of our health care system, and why so much foreign people want to live in France.

Robespierre

Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The worker said he blames management more than he blames his fellow union members who went on strike. And he's worried about the future.

"I'm 61, I was two years away from retirement," he said. "There aren't many jobs out there for someone like me."

However, other workers said the concessions being demanded by Hostess were just too great.

Mike Hummell, a receiving clerk and a member of the Bakers' union working in Lenexa, Kan., said he was making about $48,000 in 2005 before the company's first trip through bankruptcy. Concessions during that reorganization cut his pay to $34,000 last year, earning $16.12 an hour. He said the latest contract demands would have cut his pay to about $25,000, with significantly higher out-of-pocket expenses for insurance.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news...stess-workers/

From $48,000 in 2005 to $25,000 now with benefits cuts too is a pretty heavy price for mismanagements and errors from the directors board of this corporation.

The history also tell that running this company even with cuts and employees wage reductions may not allow the survival of this corporation.

From my experience I went in the similar process, the corporation asked for cuts after been in bankruptcy, I took the decision to get out and refused any cuts, then the other employees stayed one more year before the company closed the doors.

Sometimes it is better to start over somewhere else and stand for what your skills worth.

Robespierre

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 11-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

R.I.P.
Attached Thumbnails
Union versus Hostess...-rip.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
R.I.P.
Not so fast.

Hostess Shutdown on Hold, Unions Agree to Mediation

Quote:
Hostess Brands and a key union agreed Monday to try to mediate their dispute in coming days -- an unexpected development that could spare the company from permanently shutting down.

The Bakery Workers union, which represents 5,000 of the 18,500 employees at the maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread, went on strike on Nov. 9. The company had imposed paycuts and other concessions on its membership.
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,5097250.story

Robespierre

Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hostess Workers' Pension Money Diverted For Other Uses

Quote:
Hostess Brands acknowledged for the first time in a news report Monday that the company diverted workers' pension money for other company uses.

The bankrupt baker told The Wall Street Journal that money taken out of workers' paychecks, intended for their retirement funds, was used for company operations instead. Hostess, which was under different management at the time the diversions began in August 2011, said it does not know how much money it took.

"It's not a good situation to have," Hostess CEO Gregory Rayburn told the WSJ.

"Whatever the circumstances were, whatever those decisions were, I wasn't there," Rayburn added. As the founder and owner of Kobi Partners, a restructuring advisory firm, Rayburn was appointed acting CEO in March 2012.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2271868.html

WoW! Workers' pension money for other company uses...

Robespierre

Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Hostess Workers' Pension Money Diverted For Other Uses

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2271868.html

WoW! Workers' pension money for other company uses...
Have you met Social Security?? Not condoning the act by any means and multiple wrongs definitely do not make a right. But this isn't a news flash as something that has never been done before, nor is it justification for the result of the Union actions. Other means could have been garnered in order to replace that which was used, to bolster the financial stability of the company. What is the end result for the workers after the strike, refusal to negotiate and finally the closing. What opportunities are there for future wages or retirement replenishment now?

Seems to me working together a lot more could have gotten accomplished in a positive way if dare I say Ego could be taken out of the equation from both sides?
www.pchelper123.com

Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Have you met Social Security?? Not condoning the act by any means and multiple wrongs definitely do not make a right. But this isn't a news flash as something that has never been done before, nor is it justification for the result of the Union actions. Other means could have been garnered in order to replace that which was used, to bolster the financial stability of the company. What is the end result for the workers after the strike, refusal to negotiate and finally the closing. What opportunities are there for future wages or retirement replenishment now?

Seems to me working together a lot more could have gotten accomplished in a positive way if dare I say Ego could be taken out of the equation from both sides?
For me this kind of thing is shocking and I guess it is because I come from another system where the government protect much more the workers by laws. For instance, the pension money is collected from a private special retirement funds so it is much more safe than to let the company manage it.

As far as working together, I think they already did that in the past, perhaps it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Robespierre

Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
For me this kind of thing is shocking and I guess it is because I come from another system where the government protect much more the workers by laws. For instance, the pension money is collected from a private special retirement funds so it is much more safe than to let the company manage it.

As far as working together, I think they already did that in the past, perhaps it was the straw that broke the camel's back.
It seems it happened under different management last year and that attempts were in the works to reorder the company and get things back on track.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
It seems it happened under different management last year and that attempts were in the works to reorder the company and get things back on track.
I think you're going a little easy on the company due to your dislike for unions.
Can you seriously say that if you were an employee of the company and had been mistreated (in your view) by the company that you would fully trust the "reordering" of that same company?
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

In the end, it seems the employees were right to be a little aprehensive about dealing with the company. The company was ripping them off. That's theft.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Quote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...739413332.html

Hostess hasn't previously acknowledged that the foregone wages went toward its operations.

The maneuver probably doesn't violate federal law because the money Hostess failed to put into the pension didn't come directly from employees, experts said.

"It's what lawyers call betrayal without remedy,"
said James P. Baker, a partner at Baker & McKenzie LLP who specializes in employee benefits and isn't involved in the Hostess case. "It's sad, but that stuff does happen, unfortunately."

Quote:
Natural E: For me this kind of thing is shocking and I guess it is because I come from another system where the government protect much more the workers by laws.

"It's what lawyers call betrayal without remedy,"

it is not withstanding that "betrayal" is not a matter of law by the political persuasion represented by US labour laws, and the necessary reason for their reforms.

Natural is right to be shocked that Labourers in the US are so antiquated against fundamental representation.

All's Well that Ends Well

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues