Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

San Bernardino, Calif., city attorney tells residents to "load their guns"

Quote:
The city attorney of San Bernardino is under scrutiny for telling residents to "lock their doors and load their guns" during a city council meeting, CBS Los Angeles reports.

The official explained that because the city just outside of Los Angeles is bankrupt and slashing public safety budgets, people will need to start protecting themselves.

City Attorney Jim Penman said he doesn't regret what he said.

"You should say what you mean and mean what you say," Penman said.

(Scroll down to watch Penman's interview with CBS Los Angeles)

The city attorney said approximately 150 residents came to a council meeting to voice their concerns about recent crimes in the area, including the murder of an elderly woman last week.

"You could tell the swell of frustration was coming over a lot of folks. They did not feel like they could get an officer out as quickly to some of the quality-of-life issues that they were dealing with as they would have preferred," said Councilwoman Wendy McCommack, who organized the meeting and was present that night.

"Well, if I remember right, I told them to 'lock their doors and load their guns,'" Penman said.

Penman said the city is dealing with bankruptcy, which has forced officials to cut its police force by about 80 officers. Consequently, there's been growing criticism about the police department's response time.

"Let's be honest, we don't have enough police officers. We have too many criminals living in this city. We have had 45 murders this year ... that's far too high for a city of this size," Penman said.

The city attorney said it's important for people to be smart about protecting themselves and their family.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...r-police-cuts/

Do you think the City attorney who tells residents to "load their guns" after police cuts is right?

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

I think it is a shame that the people need to be told that. Why would you have locks or guns and not use them.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The official explained that because the city just outside of Los Angeles is bankrupt and slashing public safety budgets, people will need to start protecting themselves.

... and slashing public safety budgets - - people will need to start protecting themselves

I do wonder with the above, modern repeat of History what is being paid for when the real reason for having gov't is what is placed on the chopping block to pay for it ?

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I think it is a shame that the people need to be told that. Why would you have locks or guns and not use them.
I wouldn't live in a non friendly guns state, because it is where there are the high risk to be victim of criminality. In these states, the predators are insured to meet no resistance because laws are too restrictive to protect people themselves, particularely when cities cannot afford a full service of law enforcement.

I have a question for you guys: Wouldn't it be better to have a Federal Police to solve this kind of problem?

Robespierre

Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
I wouldn't live in a non friendly guns state, because it is where there are the high risk to be victim of criminality. In these states, the predators are insured to meet no resistance because laws are too restrictive to protect people themselves, particularely when cities cannot afford a full service of law enforcement.

I have a question for you guys: Wouldn't it be better to have a Federal Police to solve this kind of problem?
We have a federal investigative service to over come jurisdictional problems in solving crimes. Having a Federal "Police" force would supersede the Bill of Rights and Constitution. State rights was the core issue of the Civil War in the 1800's.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrafters View Post
State rights was the core issue of the Civil War in the 1800's.
That's right Webcrafters, I found a great article , I didn't read yet entirely, but I will. I am not familar with all the aspect of states' rights, but it is very interesting to learn this part of history.

States' Rights
http://www.civilwarhome.com/statesrights.htm

Robespierre

Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
That's right Webcrafters, I found a great article , I didn't read yet entirely, but I will. I am not familar with all the aspect of states' rights, but it is very interesting to learn this part of history.

States' Rights
http://www.civilwarhome.com/statesrights.htm
You can give this a look http://www.foundingfathers.info/fede...apers/fedi.htm

There is a lot of information available across the Internet. John Locke and other Philosophers papers from which many of the ideologies that helped form the foundation are also available if you are interested in a deeper perspective of what the real thoughts and feelings were.

To put into very simplistic terms the Federal Government's main role was for the National protection and to ratify International Treaties and relations. The inner workings of the States were to be handled at the State level. As a matter of fact originally it was the State Legislature that voted on Federal Senators not the individual people. The individual people voted on those that represented the state, those elected to state positions then represented the people of that state on to the Federal level.

There are many fascinating aspects of the Bill of Rights, what it took to have everyone agree to them, what it took to come to an agreement on the Constitutional draft, and you may even be surprised to learn who was involved in ratifying the Constitution. Far more than I am sure you or even others want to have posted here .

The contention that is racing through our country now involving the separation of church and state. How is it that we have come to where we are now?

Our laws are based on natural laws, they are also influenced by interpretation through religious ideology which is also based on natural law. It is not independent religious practices themselves that define us as a people rather the fundamental ideologies that propagate throughout nearly every religion at some point, it is only through the blurring lens effect caused by the mingling of centuries of individual interpretations that are biased toward personal interest that even allow question to these facts. It is not meant for the State or Federal Government in any way to hinder or demand religious affiliation. To this end the Courts of our lands often use Precedence rather than Constitutional law in order to decide on factors such as the allowance of the display of the Cross on public lands, or the practice of Christmas through public means. The simple act of preventing such is just as much a violation of the Constitution as is the demand by a governmental agency that it be done.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

The idea that even a fully staffed police force might be magically capable of protecting the life and property of every citizen is a comfortable illusion.

Everyone should be capable of defending themselves and their own. That's historically been the mindset in Texas, and still is in much of it. The fantasy that you can punch 3 buttons on a phone and the danger goes away has never actually been realistic.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
The idea that even a fully staffed police force might be magically capable of protecting the life and property of every citizen is a comfortable illusion.

Everyone should be capable of defending themselves and their own. That's historically been the mindset in Texas, and still is in much of it. The fantasy that you can punch 3 buttons on a phone and the danger goes away has never actually been realistic.
I have always agreed with this philosophy. How is it that when someone is breaking in your house, holding a gun to your head, or that of one of your friends or family you are to stand down, pick up a phone and call for help that is at least 10 minutes or more away?

Isn't this much like telling someone if there is a fire in your house stay right where you are, call the fire department and wait for them to come save you?

We all have the fundamental and natural right to survive, to protect ourselves. Any governmental agency, or group of people that find defending themselves reprehensible and attempt to impose those beliefs on all others is simply wrong, and violating that natural law of survival, not only for themselves but arrogantly for everyone.

To be honest, if you look at the real statistics, those states that have self protection laws, have more liberal gun laws have less violent crime committed. The states with the strictest gun laws have higher crime rates, Chicago, Washington D.C. and New York are perfect examples. Compare their violent crime rates with those of other states like Texas.

Gun laws that are overly strict have always confused me as they do nothing more than ensure the only ones with that ability to protect themselves or commit crimes with guns are those who have them illegally.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://www.politico.com/story/2012/1...74.html?hp=r15

Poll: Swing states for gun control

Voters in key three swing states preferred President Barack Obama to Mitt Romney on gun control issues, and overwhelmingly support a number of gun control measures, according to a poll released Thursday from an advocacy group.

The survey of voters in Virginia, North Carolina and Colorado found 45 percent of voters trusted Obama on gun issues, compared with only 40 percent who trusted Romney.

Security is self control and the proper regulatory statutes to insure a safe society.

Quote:
NE: I am not familar with all the aspect of states' rights, but it is very interesting to learn this part of history.

be sure to read historically, the "Articles of Confederation" - this document and its support for States Rights was abandoned for the present US Constitution that places the power of the nation properly to reside with the People and a National gov't and a Subsidiary role for the individual States.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thank you so much guys, I will bookmark and follow your advises. I am very interested about this historical parts of this great country.

Robespierre

Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I agree with you Rob.

I was trying to said that instead of reducing the police officers in some cities, perhaps the concept of federal police would avoid that. But like you and Webcrafters mentionned according to the States' Rights it is not possible.

Quote:
I am full for self sufficient citizenry and my model will always be the concept of Switzerland where every citizen own weapons including assault weapons to defend their country. Texas is perhaps one of few states that support individual liberties and freedom.

Robespierre

Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Everyone should be capable of defending themselves and their own.
That's true. If I believe I can handle the situation myself, then I'll take care of it myself before calling in the police for help.

911 is a last resort for me. But if I absolutely need to call, I will. But will continue to defend myself and family as the police are on the way.

I don't just sit and wait for police to arrive.

Chad

Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...r-police-cuts/

Do you think the City attorney who tells residents to "load their guns" after police cuts is right?
Why wait till police cuts? It's common sense advice any time.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues