Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Barely Making it On $250,000 a year

Back in the 90's Clinton raised taxes on everyone making more than $250,000.

With inflation that figure is more towards $400,000....

Do you think that $250,000 a year in salary makes you "rich"... you know, driving a new fancy car, eating at fine restaurants every night and taking luxurious vacations?

Here is an article that takes an interesting look at both sides of the topic, I'd like to see my V7n friends weight in.....

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-a-...sts-are-rising

Here's a discussion of the rich and college....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/troyonin...college-costs/

Last time I looked, 250,000 minus federal taxes, minus that $65,000 in college a year, minus property taxes, minus the support you need to bring down that income, minus the higher gas prices, minus minus minus..... there's not a lot left over.

So, are the "rich" beleagered or just a bunch of whiney entitled guys?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

The whole charade is called class warfare and this administration is very darned good at it.

Now whether you are struggling, comfortable or well off with an income of 250K all depends on your lifestyle. I would say that most families earning that amount are struggling because those "Jones" are hard to catch up with.

But let's also be honest if you are earning those kind of bucks you do have to spend to play the game. You must dress the part.

I will quit and leave room for others to post.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Take a look at the articles I posted --- I was fascinated by the effects of geography on this discussion.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
So, are the "rich" beleagered or just a bunch of whiney entitled guys?
If you think that you can barely make it with $250,000, think what people can do it with less than $250,000.

People with part time jobs, people with kids forced to accept pay cuts (20% ~ 50%), corporations that lay off to keep the same profits for their shareholders, people working 4 days, etc

Don't blame them for the wellfare, look also what the huge corporations and multi corporations are doing to their employees.

Walmart Cuts Employee Health Care Benefits
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...care-benefits/

Do you think the solution is working chip and dying quicker because no ones want to pay for it?

Robespierre

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 12-06-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
The whole charade is called class warfare.
Exactly right, it is no less than class warfare.

Robespierre

Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Exactly right, it is no less than class warfare.
But I fear my friend that you have allowed it to affect your perception.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Yes, but it's not class warfare the way you think it is, Natural.

Many corporations like Costco do provide higher wages and benefits:

http://hbr.org/2006/12/the-high-cost-of-low-wages/ar/1

Companies like Walmart will figure this out.

I guess the thing to do is to figure out how to get a job at Costco...... or the Container Store or other companies that have better employee practices.

Higher taxes aren't the answer to these issues unless you just want to take all the money up in a big pile and redistribute it equally among all the citizens.

Let's touch base with the USSR to see how that worked out for them.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
But I fear my friend that you have allowed it to affect your perception.
Allowed it how? LOL

Robespierre

Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Yes, but it's not class warfare the way you think it is, Natural.

Many corporations like Costco do provide higher wages and benefits
Well like any corporations the Costco wage stats at $7~8 an hour

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...ny/Hourly_Rate

I don't see where they are paying higher wages...

Quote:
Higher taxes aren't the answer to these issues unless you just want to take all the money up in a big pile and redistribute it equally among all the citizens.

Let's touch base with the USSR to see how that worked out for them.
If higher taxes aren't the answer, then why are we paying more taxes every single year?

Now, if you want to follow the Ron Paul advises it is different, because in his philosophy it makes sense to remove some structural entities and to remove some taxes, one doesn't go without the other.

Robespierre

Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

This reply is really for Natural but I needed to quote you to set it up.

I would be willing to bet that if all the money in the country were evenly divided that within 5-10 years the poor would be poor again and the rich that earned their money would have it back. Some old money would wind up in new hands and a few of the poor would rise but the vast majority would return to their normal level.

Why should any company pay more for a starting wage than the minimum for unskilled labor? You can always grant a raise but in some states you have a hard time getting rid of the dead wood.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
This reply is really for Natural.

I would be willing to bet that if all the money in the country were evenly divided that within 5-10 years the poor would be poor again and the rich that earned their money would have it back. Some old money would wind up in new hands and a few of the poor would rise but the vast majority would return to their normal level.
Bet is assumption. The poor would be poor again if you don't educate them. I bet that if we educate all kids at school in budget management and economic, we will have more poor people becoming rich.

Do you really think that rich people are going richer because it is in their genes? No, they get richer because their familily educate them about budget management and economic.

Quote:
Why should any company pay more for a starting wage than the minimum for unskilled labor? You can always grant a raise but in some states you have a hard time getting rid of the dead wood.
Unfortunately, the starting wage is way outdated, because it is the same from decades ago without living cost and inflationary adjustments.

Now let's talk about skilled labor. Do you know that a lot of corporations are slashing labor wages. So if you work for states, or in the private sector a lot of people had their wages reduced when at the same time CEO gets millions of revenues (400 times a worker pay in US, 65 times in Europe) plus bonuses and other benefits. When the private sector is doing great, people do not have raises or bonuses or greater benefits.

In the biggest corporations whatever you are skilled or not, there is no much differences, corporations have one policy: to pay as less as possible, that's why you have a lot of underpaid skilled people. Some of you will say that people need to get another job, but when every similar jobs get paid the same, what are the real options?

Sure, there are abuses, but let's be realistic, abuses are from both sides.

Robespierre

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues