Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
You know when I shop I don't ever recall buying the consumer price index. What aisle is it on?

I would like to buy some chuck roast for making soup, but it is up over a dollar per pound in the last year. Not too tasty at $4 a pound.

Some nice ground chuck burgers would be tasty but it is up about the same.

As a matter of fact everything I buy at the grocery is up. I won't waste your time typing them all in.

Do you have a recipe for that index stuff? Is it tasty?
BINGO!

Whether you believe the government's bogus numbers or not, the bottom line is that we all have to eat and prices at the grocery store seem to defy that imaginary 1.76% inflation rate.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

not bogus at all

Salmon has fallen to $8.99 the last 6 months - and sirloin has remained around ~$7.00 for at least the last few years ...

if there were rampant inflation it would have been a highlight in the 2012 election but was never mentioned.

in fact the outcome of the election was a reflection the Administration had managed a crippled economy to a position of sustained growth.

where there is true wasteful spending is the Defense Dept. the Republicans insist on maintaining - in fact there is very little waste elsewhere which is the problem the Republicans are having by not telling the American people what they intend to cut because they can not find any but for food stamps that is simply pandering at the expense of the poor.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 12-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post
not bogus at all

Salmon has fallen to $8.99 the last 6 months - and sirloin has remained around ~$7.00 for at least the last few years ...
Breeze you really need to backup your statments with source links because I found facts that are way different than what you post.

Quote:
The price of sirloin steak rose more than 15% between June 2011 and June 2012, while ground beef rose more than 8% and chicken prices increased more than 6%, according to the BLS.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/30/pf/food-prices-drought/

Robespierre

Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Breeze you really need to backup your statments with source links because I found facts that are way different than what you post.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/30/pf/food-prices-drought/
Sources?? We don't need no stinkin' sources.

You're just not being fair, Natural. Breeze said it - it's true in his mind, documented facts notwithstanding. Who're you gonna believe, Breeze or your lyin' eyes?

(I'm still waiting for a definition of "commiserate" that has anything at all to do with negotiating. I don't really expect to get one.)

Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

I'd like to know where Breeze shops. I have never, ever paid $7 for Angus sirloin. Admittedly, I don't buy prime and it may be that. The choice Angus at Sams is up to almost $5. I was buying the whole cut for as little as $2 a pound 3 years ago and steaks for less than $3 less than 18 months ago.

18 months ago country ribs, pork shoulder sliced was 99 cents a pound on sale and this year it has not sold for less than $1.49 on sale.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://blog.al.com/bargain-mom/2010/...ice_round.html

Publix -

Fresh Salmon Fillets $8.99

well, couldn't find the sirloin but how about the Salmon ... there is always beef on sale so the price is always low.

I grill every Sunday at the farm and company, the prices on going have varied as mentioned very little in the immediate past of ~ year in Tallahassee.

I will though be looking for Script's choice Angus ...

Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

But still a key point...

Average wages are still going up, so on average people's salaries are keeping up with inflation now. The problem is the average is spiked by the highest earners who can easily afford Salmon or Sirloin even if it is $20/pound. Heck, they often buy it for that when they eat out, and probably do very little cooking themselves. The people in the middle have stagnant wages, even as the average increases!

The distribution of incomes didn't used to be what they are now. Prices for necessities are going up faster than middle class wages. Remember, we made the decision in 1982 to cut the upper brackets from 70% to 35% and then the middle class wages were going to increase through "trickle down".

In the case of food, Big Agri is doing great! Profits are up. Wages they pay their employees are down, CEO pay is up. Food prices are up. Lobbying to get GMOs accepted to further increase profits is working. The people at the top are doing EXCELLENT, and surely they are eating Salmon and Sirloins.

Maybe we haven't cut their taxes enough? Maybe another cut will finally bring that trickle down we have been waiting for for 30 years. After all they lobbied (I mean worked) hard to get what they have now, and it wouldn't be fair if we didn't shower more gifts on them to convince them to start the trickle.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://my.earthlink.net/article/bus?...8-a6a34c9494d0

Signs suggest better economy if 'cliff' is averted

WASHINGTON (AP) — Fresh signs of a strengthening U.S. economy on Friday suggested that if Congress and the White House can avert the "fiscal cliff," the economic recovery might finally accelerate in 2013.

Consumers spent and earned more in November. And for a second straight month, U.S. companies increased their orders for a category of manufactured goods that reflects investment plans.

In light of the latest figures, some analysts said the economy could end up growing faster in the current October-December quarter — and next year — than they previously thought.

not if the Tea Party Republicans can do anything about it ...

by the way has anyone heard what ever happened to Plan B ?

Old 12-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

IMF's Lagarde warns against US fudge on fiscal cliff

Quote:
The United States needs to raise taxes and cut spending to address the looming fiscal cliff, IMF chief Christine Lagarde said Sunday, warning that anything less would undermine economic confidence.

With President Barack Obama and Republican lawmakers stuck in an apparently ideological battle on how to address the nation's ballooning deficit by the end of 2012, Lagarde said the cliff remained the biggest threat to the economy.
http://www.france24.com/en/20121209-...e-fiscal-cliff

Christine Lagarde was the only person sounding the alarm before this huge economic crisis and she is right very often.

Robespierre

Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

And she is quite correct. Barrack and the band of idiots think they can play games. The world is watching and the US is not the financial powerhouse it once was. If China called all their notes they would own a lot of the public land is America.

Better brush up on your Chinese language skills. Yellow Stone park may take on a whole new meaning.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

Quote:
And she is quite correct. Barrack and the band of idiots think they can play games. The world is watching and the US is not the financial powerhouse it once was. If China called all their notes they would own a lot of the public land is America.

Better brush up on your Chinese language skills. Yellow Stone park may take on a whole new meaning.
China owns about 8% of the public debt of the United States. China has less than half the GDP of the United States, and by some measures the EU combined is equal or greater to the United States in GDP. If China were to call their debt it would immediately cause the Yen to appreciate versus the dollar. They have been buying dollars to deflate the Yen so we buy more for China. A call on the debt might mean we have to start making more things in the United States again, which would likely increase the jobs and wages.

Mostly, we owe OURSELVES the money.

It is not nearly as bleak as some would have you believe. By creating fear, the American public is more easily manipulated, and there is nothing harms an economy more than fear. Ask any economist what happens when everyone has confidence in the economy. The result is a vibrant and growing economy. I, for one, have no use for fear in describing our economy. We have so much to gain by believing in ourselves and our country.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

David, I can't refute anything you said with hard links, so for now I will just say you college educated fellers may know more than me. Balancing your budget and living within your means was the way I was raised and the way I have lived. I reserve the right to rebuttal links later.

Now one thing I think you and I can concretely agree about in a consumer driver economy:

Quote:
Ask any economist what happens when everyone has confidence in the economy. The result is a vibrant and growing economy.
With that I fully agree.

Have a great Holiday.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

Quote:
David, I can't refute anything you said with hard links, so for now I will just say you college educated fellers may know more than me. Balancing your budget and living within your means was the way I was raised and the way I have lived. I reserve the right to rebuttal links later.

Now one thing I think you and I can concretely agree about in a consumer driver economy:

With that I fully agree.

Have a great Holiday.
You are a thoughtful and kind debater. Thank you for that! I am from the South like you.

As for a balanced budget, the US spends more on the military than the next 10 countries combined! This is WAY too much money. As I stated previously, we are feeling the effects of cutting the top tax rates in half in the eighties. The money didn't trickle down, but deficits increased dramatically.

If we are worried about China catching up to us economically, we need to spend more on our infrastructure and education, and less on the military. We are an economic powerhouse because created bright people who built amazing things. Austerity for education and infrastructure is the sure way to continue our decline as a superpower.

Maybe in another topic or day we can discuss how what appears to be a "progressive" tax structure is more "regressive" today than it has been in 100 years. We can talk about inequality levels and how the overall working person becomes less productive on average, less educated on average, less healthy on average, and how that adds up to a country in decline. How can one call something a "balanced budget" when equality and productivity are moving toward imbalance?

We can't.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues