Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Angry Warnings Not to Use E15 Gas in Your Car

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2000862202001/

This is put out by triple AAA. Please view before buying anymore gas! Not apply if you have diesel however. This is a mess!!!!!

Please comment I would love to hear your thoughts!!!

Everyone have a wonderful christmas and very good New Year!!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Wow.

I found more information on this.

Quote:
Because higher ethanol fuel blends (like E15 and E85) have less energy content than regular gasoline, they deliver lower fuel economy and cost consumers more money at the pump. They are also corrosive when used in most automobiles, meaning they can harm engines and compromise vehicle performance. Even so, our government is mandating increased ethanol in our fuels, putting biofuels mandates ahead of the safety and convenience of American consumers and manufacturers.

Decreased Fuel Economy

Ethanol contains 33 percent less energy per gallon than gasoline, and vehicles fueled with ethanol cover fewer miles per gallon than those running on conventional gasoline. The higher the ethanol blend, the lower the fuel economy, meaning consumers must fill up at the pump more frequently.

Damage to Vehicles and Performance

Beyond the damage to your wallet, ethanol can also damage vehicles and affect performance—corroding metals, causing rubber to swell and...
Continued at: http://smarterfuelfuture.org/impacts...-small-engines

Old 12-24-2012, 09:27 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Plus the other bad part is the manufacturers are NOT covering any damage to your engine or parts!!! Yes I know the effect of gas milage!! even on a hybrid!!

Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

and do not forget about your chainsaw - even the 10% ethanol is proving to be bad for them.

just down the road from the farm is a fillingstation that happens to have a pump with nonethanol gas $3.85 a gallon - thankfully the chainsaw goes quit a ways on a single gallon.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 12-26-2012, 07:02 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Breeze you had better buy a bunch of that gas because it is becoming nonexistant anymore!!!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

well Weeb, believe it or not they have that pump deliberately for small engines etc knowing the problem and plan on keeping it open - a lot of people like yard crews go there.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitty View Post
Breeze you had better buy a bunch of that gas because it is becoming nonexistant anymore!!!
Not yet anyway. It is fairly common at marinas. Many of the older boat motors don't care to drink alcohol.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Well our state govenment isn't as smart as yours! Our governor decided to switch over to 10% on all gas stations! Guess what happened. Our boats, lawn mowers, etc weren't that lucky. Plus what I understand is you can't store this gas either. It breaks down in like two weeks or something similar.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitty View Post
Well our state govenment isn't as smart as yours! Our governor decided to switch over to 10% on all gas stations! Guess what happened. Our boats, lawn mowers, etc weren't that lucky. Plus what I understand is you can't store this gas either. It breaks down in like two weeks or something similar.
Don't believe everything you read online. A 10% blend is not going to hurt anything. I am a bit skeptical about the new untested e15 (15% blend).

To protect your small 2 stroke or 4-stoke engines all you have to do is buy a product called Stabil and add an ounce to each 2.5 gallons of gas. I routinely use 10% ethanol in all of them even as much a year after purchase. Stabil is sold everywhere but is cheapest at Walmart. It has a little measuring cup built into the bottle and can be measured out for batches as small as 1/4 gallon.

I have a 14-15 year old, 9hp Snapper rider that has used e10 and Stabil since day one. I haven't even changed the spark plug yet.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Scriptman thanks for the info. That may help one part of the problem but what about our gas milage taking a dive and not being able to store it for long periods? Also Obama is pushing for better gas milage in cars. Kind of defeats the purpose? Not to mention the fact of high food prices as a result. SOOOOOOO where is the benefit of this new gas? Eviromental? Less dependency on foreign oil? Just hype and HS? more than likely.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

I routinely exceed the EPA estimates in my 1996 Nissan which has never used anything but e10. It is stable for 30-60 days depending upon storage conditions for use in bigger engines.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to store more than a tank full of gas but Stabil won't hurt your auto or tractor engine. It would be a bit pricey for storage of any significant quantity.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Great information guys, how'd you know if the gas you're buying is like this one? ANy identifier? Who sells this stuff?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think it has to be identified on the pump when you pull up to get gas if I remember the picture in the video. But you can always ask too. Maybe they will be honest with you if they are using it.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrykconrad View Post
Great information guys, how'd you know if the gas you're buying is like this one? ANy identifier? Who sells this stuff?
Weebitty is correct. It is one of those things you never notice unless you look for it. In the US, somewhere on the pump usually close to the selection button there is as small sign with the octane rating and in small print it identifies what you are buying. e10 is the normal stuff that has been sold for 18-20years. e15 is this new blend.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Weebitty is correct. It is one of those things you never notice unless you look for it. In the US, somewhere on the pump usually close to the selection button there is as small sign with the octane rating and in small print it identifies what you are buying. e10 is the normal stuff that has been sold for 18-20years. e15 is this new blend.

... e10 is the normal stuff that has been sold for 18-20years.

maybe goes back a little further Script ... looks like Al Capone and Machine-Gun Kelly had a hankering for it as well.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post

... e10 is the normal stuff that has been sold for 18-20years.

maybe goes back a little further Script ... looks like Al Capone and Machine-Gun Kelly had a hankering for it as well.
Gonna have to concede this one.

Should have said, e10 is the normal stuff that has been mandatory in Kentucky for the last 18-20 years.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues