Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

We Are Witnessing The Slow, Tortuous Death Of The American Worker

Quote:
Once upon a time, the U.S. economy produced a seemingly unending supply of good paying jobs that enabled American workers to buy homes, raise families and live the American Dream. But now all of that has changed. Over the past several decades, there have been some fundamental shifts in our economy that have steadily eroded the value of the American worker.

Thanks to incredible advances in robotics, computers and other fields of technology, many economic activities that once required a tremendous amount of manpower now require very little. Nothing is going to reverse those technological advances, so the jobs that have been lost as a result are now gone forever. But there are millions of other good jobs that we have lost that we could have done something about.

Over the past couple of decades, millions upon millions of American jobs have been shipped overseas. Thanks to a whole host of “free trade” agreements that our politicians promised would be very good for our economy, U.S. workers have now been merged into a global labor pool with hundreds of millions of workers on the other side of the globe that live in countries where it is legal to pay slave labor wages. In such a situation, it is only natural for big corporations to shift production from high wage areas to low wage areas. Unemployment in America has skyrocketed and so have corporate profits.

Today, corporate profits as a percentage of U.S. GDP are at an all-time high, but wages as a percentage of U.S. GDP are near an all-time low. The lack of decent jobs in the United States is one of the primary reasons why we are in an economic crisis that never seems to end, and things are not going to turn around any time soon. We truly are witnessing the slow, tortuous death of the American worker, and politicians from both political parties are just standing aside and letting it happen.

Back in the old days, just about everyone that was willing to work hard in America could easily go out and get a decent job. But today there is savage competition even for jobs that pay close to minimum wage. For example, thousands upon thousands of people recently applied for just 200 jobs at a new Target in Albuquerque, New Mexico...
http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...merican-worker

Not long ago, I was reading the local newspaper saying that the economy is doing better because the unemployment dropped in our state. When many workers flee the dying state to go where the jobs are. I found the journalist completly biased like many in the mainstream media.

Any thoughts on this article?

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I saw your article and was going to post my article in a new topic but thought I would add it here. It says the 10 happiest countries. Guess what America slipped another 2 places. We are now Number 12 slipping from the 10th spot. They did a survey. The top 10 are named in the article and what they based their study on.

So where does the United States rank? It's at 12th place this year, slipping from 10th. According to Legatum, the U.S. has slipped in the areas of governance, personal freedom, and most troubling, in entrepreneurship & opportunity. America is supposed to be the land of opportunity, but Legatum notes "a decline in citizens' perception that working hard gets you ahead."

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/world-...233204795.html

Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitty View Post
...Legatum notes "a decline in citizens' perception that working hard gets you ahead."
People will respond to both negative and positive incentives:

1. If you want less of something (success, hard work), you tax it.

2. If you want more of something (dependence on government), you subsidize it.

We're seeing the combined results of progressive taxation disincentivizing achievement and Johnson's Great Society (on steroids) encouraging dependence.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well, I think when politicians have another globalization agenda than protecting the people, here is the results in any western countries. You can also see at the same time, an astonishing increase of anti depressant consumption.

I guess there are too much personal and group interests involved.

Robespierre

Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

Corporations are the dominant force right now. The set policy through their lobbying money which pays for elections from the state level to the court system to the national level. Follow the money and understand our politics. When you use the phrase "hand out" make sure you understand it is corporations that get the most handouts.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
Corporations are the dominant force right now. The set policy through their lobbying money which pays for elections from the state level to the court system to the national level. Follow the money and understand our politics. When you use the phrase "hand out" make sure you understand it is corporations that get the most handouts.
Here some interesting facts about the history of lobbying in United States:

Quote:
When the Constitution was crafted by Framers such as James Madison, their intent was to design a governmental system in which powerful interest groups would be rendered incapable of subdoing the general will. According to Madison, a faction was "a number of citizens, whether amounting to a minority or majority of the whole, who are united and actuated by some common impulse of passion, or of interest, adverse to the rights of other citizens, or to the permanent and aggregate interests of the community." Madison considered factions as dangerous, since they threatened to bring about tyranny if their control became too great. Madison, writing in the Federalist Papers, suggested that factions could be thwarted by requiring them to compete with other factions, and therefore the powerful force of one faction could be counteracted by another faction or factions.[1] Today, the term "special interest" has often been equated with Madison's sense of "faction". In addition, the Constitution sought to protect other freedoms, such as free speech.

Accordingly, the ability of individuals, groups, and corporations to lobby the government is protected by the right to petition[2] in the First Amendment. It is protected by the Constitution as free speech; one accounting was that there were three Constitutional provisions which protect the freedom of interest groups to "present their causes to government",[3] and various decisions by the Supreme Court have upheld these freedoms over the course of two centuries.[4] Even corporations have been considered in some court decisions to have many of the same rights as citizens, including their right to lobby officials for what they want.[4] As a result, the legality of lobbying took "strong and early root" in the new republic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._United_States

Robespierre

Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Natural,

One of the beauties of the original structure of our government was the balance between the three competing interests.

The people were represented in the House of Representatives (whose members were chosen by popular election). The states were represented in the Senate (whose members were chosen by each state's legislature). The federal government was represented by the Executive branch (chosen through the electoral college). None of those competing interests was given sufficient power to allow it to dominate the other two.

With passage of the Seventeenth Amendment (popular vote for senators) in 1913, the states lost their representation at the federal level. The senate became filled with 'super-congressmen' who need to pander for the popular vote rather than standing up for their states' interests and being accountable to the state legislature. Had it not been for passage of this amendment, the federal government could never have expanded itself to the extent it now has.

Lobbying would be nowhere near as effective as it is today since the senators would be insulated from the popular pressure that's applied to them now.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Bob, It seems like the begining of the 20th century was a turning point in this country, and we may think that the bankers were behind a lot of things. They created the federal reserve and progressively took over behind the scene. The golden rule...

Robespierre

Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Bob, It seems like the begining of the 20th century was a turning point in this country, and we may think that the bankers were behind a lot of things. They created the federal reserve and progressively took over behind the scene. The golden rule...
I agree that the start of the 20th century got things going in a very bad direction. I assign more of the blame for it, though, to "progressives" in government rather than to bankers/corporations. IMHO, they're along for the ride and certainly are making money off of government actions. On the other hand, no corporation or bank can make me do business with them nor can they put me in jail. The nanny-state government can do both (for my own good, of course).

Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
I agree that the start of the 20th century got things going in a very bad direction. I assign more of the blame for it, though, to "progressives" in government rather than to bankers/corporations. IMHO, they're along for the ride and certainly are making money off of government actions. On the other hand, no corporation or bank can make me do business with them nor can they put me in jail. The nanny-state government can do both (for my own good, of course).
While I complety agree with you Bob, bankers showed what they were capable in the past.

In my opinion, in any western society, there is a love triangle between government, bankers and corporations.

Robespierre

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues