Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Irish County Legalizes Drunk Driving

Quote:
The County Kerry Council in southwest Ireland passed a measure on Monday that allows rural drivers to legally drive while under the influence of alcohol.
The council voted 5-3 – with 12 absent and 7 abstaining – to issue special permits to individuals who live in rural areas and wish to drive home on remote countryside roads after consuming two to three alcoholic beverages. The council will have to rely on Justice Minister Alan Shatter to implement the changes to current drinking and driving laws by issuing special permits.
Councilor and County Kerry pub owner Danny Healy-Rae introduced the bill, arguing that citizens driving while intoxicated in rural areas have never killed anyone. He defended the measure by asserting that it would prevent loneliness and reduce the risk of suicides among those who live in Ireland’s backcountry.

“A lot of these people are living in isolated rural areas where there’s no public transport of any kind, and they end up at home looking at the four walls, night in and night out, because they don’t want to take the risk of losing their license,” Healy-Rae told TheJournal.ie.

Tougher drunk driving laws have been credited with reducing the number of people killed on Irish roads. The overall number of road deaths has fallen by 56 percent in the last five years and in 2012, 161 people were killed, the lowest since records began being kept, according to the Road Safety Authority. In addition to lowering the legal limit from 80 mg per 100 ml of blood (.08% in U.S. terms) to 50 mg, Irish authorities have also increased the volume of mandatory alcohol checkpoints.

The Irish Department of Transport, Alcohol Action Ireland and the Road Safety Authority have all voiced opposition to the proposal, citing the overwhelming evidence linking alcohol consumption with impaired driving.
“Unfortunately, rural areas are among the most dangerous roads in Ireland. We need to be looking at how to make our roads safer, particularly in rural areas, instead of trying to reverse existing measures, which are clearly working,” an Irish Department of Transport spokesman told Sky News.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

wtf, I don't agree with this at all.

Driving under the influence is bad and bad things can happen. Hell even if you have 2 to 3 beers, your judgement is off a little.

In one of my DWI's, (Let you know a little of my personal life) I almost got myself killed and don't know how I'm still alive or walking after driving into a tree at 50mph. I was OK to drive (That's what I told everyone and myself) and ended up in the hospital. I had 3 beers but little food intake... dark back road I was on and didn't see the curve in the road.

People would abuse this law for sure. I know I would.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 AM
Individualist

I don't know. It seems that if the alcohol content was really low, one or two drinks might not impair too much... What kind of roads, though? Hardly ever used, 50 KPH roads? Sounds fine, maybe.

In Japan the solution is to have substitute drivers, who driver the pub customer's car home for the customer who has had too many drinks. It's cheap and safe for everyone. Maybe they should try that.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Being from a rather rural part of Ireland, I'm all for this.

The title is misleading though. Not everyone will be given a permit. Many of these people would have drove home from the pub in the past when laws were less strict. They likely live miles from any major road. Most of them are probably small country farmers who will be driving back on their own land anyway.

Many of the small pubs round my area have had to close due to the lack of business. These pubs weren't located in villages or the like. They were found down small country lanes, and made for great spots for the rural folk to meet and discuss the days business. Their closure has made these places altogether more depressing.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Sensationalist title from moronic fearmongerers spouting idiotic properganda. It isn't as if every Irish person is going to have 20 pints, run over a contingent of children and then get off scott free, it's upping the low limit to a more normal limit in rural areas with seldom-used roads to specific people who have probably been using those roads all their lives and the most activity seen is probably deer, hedgehogs and sheep.

This title would then assume that every British citizen is also allowed to drive drunk... It's simply not the case.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If it is properly implemented and regulated this measure could more to the benefit.In most cases people wouldn't have to drive more than 6-8 miles and the whole remotness of the areas will work in favor of this decision.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

i think they will change they mind when they see how many deaths their have in the next year or two.
drinking and driving is bad full stop

Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

I suspect the average adult knows how much they drank and responsible ones know how they should drive. The irresponsible ones are doing it anyway. The greater risk and what causes most accidents is the other driver on the road doing something stupid. Here in the States that would be texting or talking a d*** cellphone while driving.

I don't do it anymore and haven't for a very long time but even as a teenager the worse thing I did on rural roads while driving was buy myself a fence or maybe two.

I would adamantly oppose any such law in the US for anything other than the most rural areas.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomas1984 View Post
i think they will change they mind when they see how many deaths their have in the next year or two.
drinking and driving is bad full stop
Fortunately not everyone is stupid enough to agree with you.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
Certainly we are all entitled to our own beliefs without fear of someone in the community saying we are stupid?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I take this type of thing to heart as I have a few DWI's under my belt and marks on my body from a bad wreck. I thought I was ok but most times a man won't tell his friend that I've had to much I can't drive when they are in there younger 20's. So they drive home and think by going slow on back roads they will be safe.

Not in my town as I live in the boonies and we have deer and other strange animals running around. Drinking a few beers will effect ones reaction time. It only takes a brief second to lose control and something bad happen's. Text messaging is banned in my state, we get ticket's if caught on the mobile phone as people have gotten killed from idiots on the phone not paying attention. Can you imagine a person with 3 beers in them and talking on the phone driving down a dark back road. All drinking law's need to be tough as my cousin had 1 friend die because drunk driver didn't see his friend stopped at a red light on his motorcycle.

I've learned my lesson the hard way and glad I don't live in some countries where they give drunk drivers a slap on the wrist.

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Violations/dui.htm

Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
With dew respect these words sounds like rude!!!
The fact is that less people who can be conviced that drunk driving is not dangerous even if how less alcohol you have consumed.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
we get ticket's if caught on the mobile phone as people have gotten killed from idiots on the phone not paying attention.

not paying attention

that is so true and annoying - not the getting killed, of course but in nearly every instance while driving and there is a near misshape it is almost always caused by a driver on a phone ...

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

WTH! That kind of law will surely cause lots and lots of accident!!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
ok just giving my opinion thats all pal.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwande View Post
With dew respect these words sounds like rude!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomas1984 View Post
ok just giving my opinion thats all pal.
An Administrator has been in the thread because of that comment, please move on to the thread at hand.

Last edited by J. H. Rasmussen; 02-06-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I bet some of those drinking type rural residents had the right to vote for this act.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post
not paying attention

that is so true and annoying - not the getting killed, of course but in nearly every instance while driving and there is a near misshape it is almost always caused by a driver on a phone ...
Do you have statistical evidence for this statement? Please provide a resource.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.car-accidents.com/cell_ph...accidents.html

Cell Phone Car Accident Pictures and Stories

Several studies show cell phones are a leading cause of car crashes. It is estimated that cell phone distracted drivers are four times more likely to be in a car wreck. According to a Harvard University study, cell phones cause over 200 deaths and half a million injuries each year.

Quote:
http://www.ehow.com/info_8625936_use...accidents.html

It was reported by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration in 2009 that 18 percent of fatal car accidents were caused by distracted drivers. The use of cell phones, whether talking or texting, is one action that may cause a distraction for a driver. According to a study by the University of Utah, cell-phone use can delay the reaction time of the driver similar to that of drinking and driving.

a wide variety of articles on the subject of cell phone distraction and auto accidents ... nothing new there.

in nearly every instance while driving and there is a near misshape it is almost always caused by a driver on a phone ...

my own experiences while driving.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
The Avengers

Uh oh.. I don't like the idea of going out on the road knowing that there are drunk drivers out there..

I had a cousin who was killed on a road accident by some drunk driver.

Last edited by aira; 02-16-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues