Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Panetta lifts ban on women in combat

Quote:
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has decided to rescind the decades-old policy which prohibits women from serving in ground combat units.

The policy will make women eligible to serve as infantrymen on combat patrol and even in elite special operations units, like the Navy SEALS. However, women will have to meet strength standards that could keep them out of units where the physical demands are especially grueling.

Combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan have already cost more than 130 women their lives and left more than 800 wounded.

Dawn Halfaker, who commanded a Military Police Platoon in Iraq and fought alongside infantry, was one of those wounded.

"We were all fighting the same fight, doing the same thing," Halfaker said.

The best machine gunner in Halfaker's platoon was Victoria Rivers, who was tapped to go on missions with Special Forces.

"It was just kind of euphoric, you know, riding along with somebody or working side by side with some Special Forces team. It was pretty cool," Rivers said.

But Rivers acknowledges some military jobs may be too demanding for a female physique.

"There's jobs that women can't do physically because they just don't have the strength, the physical strength, to do it," she said.

The Marines recently opened their 13-week infantry officer school to women, but the first two who volunteered dropped out. In the Army, an infantryman carries a 63-pound pack, which could go to more than 100 pounds, depending on the situation.

Panetta's order will open 200,000 more jobs to women, primarily in the Army and Marines. The services will have until May to draw up a plan for opening all units to women and until the end of 2015 to actually implement it.

If the military wants to keep a unit like Navy SEALS or Army Green Berets off limits to women, they will have to justify it to the Secretary of Defense.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...men-in-combat/

Do you agree with Mr Panetta to lift ban on women in combat?

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Absolutely and if you ever had your butt kicked by one you would also.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Definitely. Equality for alllllll!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
My friend, I have a lot of respect for women. From our history in 1789 revolution, 1939 resistance, and other important dates I forgot, they showed some incredible courage in combat, in my opinion they deserve to do whatever the men do.

Robespierre

Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Panetta lifts ban on women in combat

Quote:
Panetta's order will open 200,000 more jobs to women ...

lifting the ban, hopefully means it will be voluntary and would then serve for those who are interested.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I forgot.

Ask our friends from UK about Joan of Arc

Robespierre

Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Ok, I'll be politically incorrect. It's a terrible idea. Being politically "equal" does not make us the same physically, so i am not showing disrespect for women, i am showing respect for them and the simple reality of the situation. For example, if you throw women into a frontline unit of grunts, you raise a host of issues that didnt exist before... None of which would be good.

And yeah, I was raised with the belief it's our job as men to protect and cherish members of the other sex. Blame that if you want, but when the problems crop up, dont blame me, blame Panetta.

Last edited by robjones; 01-23-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Is it too distrustful of me to suspect that this has less to do with equal rights than it has to do with increasing possible cannon fodder content to 100% of those enlisted, rather than just the men?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues