Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

GDP Shows Surprise Drop for US in Fourth Quarter

Quote:
The U.S. economy posted a stunning drop of 0.1 percent in the fourth quarter, defying expectations for slow growth and possibly providing incentive for more Federal Reserve stimulus.

The economy shrank from October through December for the first time since the recession ended, hurt by the biggest cut in defense spending in 40 years, fewer exports and sluggish growth in company stockpiles.

The Commerce Department said Wednesday that the economy contracted at an annual rate of 0.1 percent in the fourth quarter. That's a sharp slowdown from the 3.1 percent growth rate in the July-September quarter.

The surprise contraction could raise fears about the economy's ability to handle tax increases that took effect in January and looming spending cuts.

Still, the weakness may be because of one-time factors. Government spending cuts and slower inventory growth subtracted a total of 2.6 percentage points from growth.

And those volatile categories offset faster growth in consumer spending, business investment and housing -- the economy's core drivers of growth.

Another positive aspect of the report: For all of 2012, the economy expanded 2.2 percent, better than 2011's growth of 1.8 percent.

The economy may stay weak at the start of the year because Americans are coming to grips with an increase in Social Security taxes that has left them with less take-home pay.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100419252

Is the economy really recovering?

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?...f-ce94f37fea96

US economy shrinks 0.1 pct., 1st time in 3Ĺ years

considering the divergent entrenchment by House Republicans in conflict to sustaining the economic recovery accomplished uninterrupted from June 09 by the present Administration, the relapse of the GDP is not to surprising - yet regrettable.

All's Well that Ends Well

Last edited by Breeze Wood; 01-30-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

If the doctored numbers and the XMas shopping season weren't enough to stay in positive territory, I would expect another negative quarter is just around the next corner, making this "recovery?" a bonifide recession.

...And that is with all this money printing going on.

The effects of the money printing wear off pretty quickly so they will have to kick it up a notch now.
Look for QE5 (or whatever they're going to call it) to add roughly another $50 billion or more monthly.
I can almost feel the dollars in my wallet shrinking now.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
If the doctored numbers and the XMas shopping season weren't enough to stay in positive territory, I would expect another negative quarter is just around the next corner, making this "recovery?" a bonifide recession.

...And that is with all this money printing going on.

The effects of the money printing wear off pretty quickly so they will have to kick it up a notch now.
Look for QE5 (or whatever they're going to call it) to add roughly another $50 billion or more monthly.
I can almost feel the dollars in my wallet shrinking now.
I think we are reaching a point where people paychecks do not increase and rather decrease, where the living cost is raising, the taxes are raising, people abilities to borrow are saturated and the worse is the currency value destroyed by inflation engineered by the federal reserve bank by "printing" enormous amounts of money to continuously put the economy under perfusion caused by deregulations.

Robespierre

Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
I think we are reaching a point where people paychecks do not increase and rather decrease, where the living cost is raising, the taxes are raising, people abilities to borrow are saturated and the worse is the currency value destroyed by inflation engineered by the federal reserve bank by "printing" enormous amounts of money to continuously put the economy under perfusion caused by deregulations.

Quote:
http://www.4-traders.com/news/Blue-C...989--15986245/

Blue Chips Rise, Setting Dow Up for Best January Since 1989

Setting Dow Up for Best January Since 1989 ...

from the deepest recession since the Great Depression to the best January since 1989 the Administration has fulfilled its obligation to return the economy to a sound footing - it is now up to Congress to insure its continued recovery.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post

from the deepest recession since the Great Depression to the best January since 1989 the Administration has fulfilled its obligation to return the economy to a sound footing - it is now up to Congress to insure its continued recovery.
Increasing the debt by 5 trillion dollars in just over one Presidential term is NOT considered "sound footing". Not by a long shot.
Nor is record food stamp usage, nor current unemployment levels, nor current standard of living.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

Stock doesn't mean a growing national economy, because they are mosly owned by international stock holders and wealthy people.

Is it another smoke screen you are attempting to protect the economy political failures of your political party?

Robespierre

Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

A decrease in federal spending, mostly on military, contributed to 1.25% of the reduction in GDP. Reduction in inventories after Christmas was the biggest drop to GDP at 1.27%. I realize the Republicans want to cut even more government spending which would most certainly drop the GDP even further. You can't have it both ways: complain about GDP and want to cut spending also. I believe the democrats have it right in wanting to cut defense spending and reinvest it at home in green technologies that make us more energy efficient long term, along with other infrastructure improvements.

China spends a ton of money on infrastructure, and far less on defense, and they are growing way faster than the USA.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Special Offer

Quote:
Stock doesn't mean a growing national economy, because they are mosly owned by international stock holders and wealthy people.
Yes, wealthy people want to continue to enjoy tax loopholes and keep their own taxes lower while convincing everyone they are the "job creators". It is no mistake the work "creator" is used as it sounds God-like, while the results we are getting are far from it!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
Yes, wealthy people want to continue to enjoy tax loopholes and keep their own taxes lower while convincing everyone they are the "job creators". It is no mistake the work "creator" is used as it sounds God-like, while the results we are getting are far from it!
Well, wealthy people are the job creators, you like it or not. If you go in full charge against them by taxing or put some unsustainable regulations, sure they are going somewhere else overseas. Now, if things are balanced correctly, between taxes, regulations and quotas on importations, then you have much more chance that the economy will grow again.

If you unbalance taxes, regulations, etc and let them go overseas and be soft on importations without quotas, the economy will continue to be disaster, unemployment will continue to rise like today.

Robespierre

Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I put a lot more trust in "job creators" to get the economy growing than I do in "food stamp recipient creators" and "disability recipient creators".

Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

Is it another smoke screen you are attempting to protect the economy political failures of your political party?

that's why the 1929 stock market crash did not precede the Great Depression ?

or the 6000 point drop in the DJIA to 6500 in March 09 had nothing to do with the Great Recession ?

N, the Markets are the heart of American Capitalism and nearly everyone is invested in them one way or another ...

the Obama Administration has succeeded using Stimulus and spurred the economy for "everyone" rather than Republican top down austerity, placing the greatest burdens on those least responsible for the downturn.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
that's why the 1929 stock market crash did not precede the Great Depression ?

or the 6000 point drop in the DJIA to 6500 in March 09 had nothing to do with the Great Recession ?

N, the Markets are the heart of American Capitalism and nearly everyone is invested in them one way or another ...

the Obama Administration has succeeded using Stimulus and spurred the economy for "everyone" rather than Republican top down austerity, placing the greatest burdens on those least responsible for the downturn.
The crash was proven to be deregulations by both political parties and the banks going wild, it was the reason of the 1929 crash and the 2009 crash.

Your obsessive compulsive disorder against the Republican party is irrelevant to these events.

Robespierre

Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
The administration and its media lapdogs never needed to keep us in positive territory. All they needed to do was to make it appear that a recovery was happening in order to get Obama reelected. Once that task was accomplished, they no longer need to pretend that the "recovery" (however weak) is real.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A decrease in federal spending, mostly on military, contributed to 1.25% of the reduction in GDP. Reduction in inventories after Christmas was the biggest drop to GDP at 1.27%. I realize the Republicans want to cut even more government spending which would most certainly drop the GDP even further. You can't have it both ways: complain about GDP and want to cut spending also. I believe the democrats have it right in wanting to cut defense spending and reinvest it at home in green technologies that make us more energy efficient long term, along with other infrastructure improvements.

China spends a ton of money on infrastructure, and far less on defense, and they are growing way faster than the USA.

Gee! Do you think they may have emptied the bucket prior to the election? That is what I infer from your post.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Gee! Do you think they may have emptied the bucket prior to the election? That is what I infer from your post.
The unexpectedly high 3.1% GDP growth in the quarter immediately prior to the election was no coincidence and had to come from somewhere. It certainly wasn't from real growth, not at that high a level anyway.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
The unexpectedly high 3.1% GDP growth in the quarter immediately prior to the election was no coincidence and had to come from somewhere. It certainly wasn't from real growth, not at that high a level anyway.
That's correct Bob. I was reading this:

U.S. job growth in January: more of same

Quote:
Over the past two years, the U.S. has added an average of 150,000-plus jobs a month. Thatís well below the norm at this stage of an economic recovery.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-...ame-2013-01-31

Robespierre

Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
The administration and its media lapdogs never needed to keep us in positive territory. All they needed to do was to make it appear that a recovery was happening in order to get Obama reelected. Once that task was accomplished, they no longer need to pretend that the "recovery" (however weak) is real.

Economic data was available to all sides during the 2012 election cycle - the House was / is controlled by Republicans that would have precluded any manipulations by the gov't using inaccurate data.

with 3 1/2 years of positive GDP, the just completed quarter warrants further consideration including a (probable) future upgrade to a slightly positive calculation.

the reelection was a milestone but in fact both sides are on an equal footing for future legislation to best serve and continue the recovery that began in June of 09.

at present: DJIA - 14,003.11 +142.53 / 2-1-13

Old 02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/p-500-...001324596.html

Dow ends above 14,000 for the first time since 2007

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Stocks rose to five-year highs on Friday, with the Dow closing above 14,000 for the first time since October 2007, after jobs and manufacturing data showed the economy's recovery remains on track.

Bob Barr: The administration and its media lapdogs never needed to keep us in positive territory.

... keeping America positive - even after the Great Recession of the previous Administration.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues