Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Post Effort building to change US pot laws

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130204/DA482F300.html

Quote:
SEATTLE (AP) - An effort is building in Congress to change U.S. marijuana laws, including moves to legalize the industrial production of hemp and establish a hefty federal pot tax.

While passage this year could be a longshot, lawmakers from both parties have been quietly working on several bills, the first of which Democratic Reps. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon and Jared Polis of Colorado plan to introduce Tuesday, Blumenauer told The Associated Press.

Polis' measure would regulate marijuana the way the federal government handles alcohol: In states that legalize pot, growers would have to obtain a federal permit. Oversight of marijuana would be removed from the Drug Enforcement Administration and given to the newly renamed Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana and Firearms, and it would remain illegal to bring marijuana from a state where it's legal to one where it isn't.

The bill is based on a legalization measure previously pushed by former Reps. Barney Frank of Massachusetts and Ron Paul of Texas.

Blumenauer's bill would create a federal marijuana excise tax of 50 percent on the "first sale" of marijuana - typically, from a grower to a processor or retailer. It also would tax pot producers or importers $1,000 annually and other marijuana businesses $500.

His office said Monday it doesn't yet have an estimate of how much the taxes might bring in. But a policy paper Blumenauer and Polis are releasing this week suggests, based on admittedly vague estimates, that a federal tax of $50 per ounce could raise $20 billion a year. They call for directing the money to law enforcement, substance abuse treatment and the national debt.

Last fall's votes in Colorado and Washington state to legalize recreational marijuana should push Congress to end the 75-year federal pot prohibition, Blumenauer said.

Washington state officials have estimated that its legal marijuana market could bring in about half a billion dollars a year in state taxes.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well, that would surelly open the doors to some interesting possibilities and help decrease some of the crime related with pot.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

As always in this section please keep in mind that this is a personal opinion, not a moderator opinion.

You won't hear many 62 year old, non smoker, non pot user say this this but I am saying it now.

It is long overdue!

It would also allow the state of Kentucky to grow industrial hemp which once upon a time was a large cash crop in this state. This would replace revenue lost to declining tobacco use and the tobacco price support system. There is absolutely no therapeutic or recreational use for the leaves of an industrial hemp plant.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues