Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Is there any excuse or defense for Lance Armstrong

Lance Armstrong has been in the news almost every day since his interview on the Oprah Winfrey show. On the show, he openly admitted to taking performance-enhancing drugs that are banned. During previous lawsuits, he explicitly denied allegations that he participated in these events while using performance-enhancing drugs.

This brings to my mind three different issues:
1. Should Lance Armstrong be charged for lying on the stand during his testimony?
2. If he passed all the doping tests at these events, is it not safe to assume he did not take anything he was not supposed to within the time-frame of the event?
3. If others in the event were subjected to the same doping tests as Lance Armstrong, is it safe to assume the others were probably doping as well?

Personally, I believe many athletes take dope. I wonder what are the views of others surrounding the news.

Last edited by mjm1905; 02-09-2013 at 05:16 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

He admitted his success was largely due to doping, no doubt he had also trained very hard over the years too. People love taking others down at the top and TV loves it for the ratings. Doesn't matter what they do or don't do to him, public opinion of his image has been changed forever and unfortunately few will remember the many great things he had done over his career for the community.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

My opinion to all 3 of your questions and comment is probably yes. And I really don't give a rat's potooty about it one way or the other.

However; In pursuit of the protection of his name I believe he destroyed a few people who tried to blow the whistle on him and he basically defrauded others of millions.

For those acts that he should pay and pay dearly.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

I really don't know much about the topic in terms of administering, usage and testing, but from where I sit, it seems the science (excuse the term here) that goes into administering, utilization and ultimately masking the usage of performance enhancing drugs is superior to the science that goes into detection.

It's just kind of sad because in this case (and other similar cases in other sports too), #2, could have experienced the spot light and those lucrative endorsements. The trouble with the whole issue of performance enhanced drug usage in sports is perhaps (and I repeat - perhaps) it may actually be some form of a level playing field.

Until such time as improvements in the area of education, enlisting peer pressure, better administration of what ever anti-doping committees are in play, improvements are made in the science of detection and harsher penalties are administered for usage somehow come to light, this will be an ongoing issue. IMO.

Sorry to the OP - I may have evaded answering the questions.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm1905 View Post
Lance Armstrong has been in the news almost every day since his interview on the Oprah Winfrey show. On the show, he openly admitted to taking performance-enhancing drugs that are banned. During previous lawsuits, he explicitly denied allegations that he participated in these events while using performance-enhancing drugs.

This brings to my mind three different issues:
1. Should Lance Armstrong be charged for lying on the stand during his testimony?
2. If he passed all the doping tests at these events, is it not safe to assume he did not take anything he was not supposed to within the time-frame of the event?
3. If others in the event were subjected to the same doping tests as Lance Armstrong, is it safe to assume the others were probably doping as well?

Personally, I believe many athletes take dope. I wonder what are the views of others surrounding the news.
Should he be charged for lying on the stand during testimony? Yes, of course he should, just like anybody else would be.

It is not safe to assume that he didn't take drugs because he admitted to doing it.

Other probably are doing it also and it is just spot checks that catch people out, thank God.

Something that is going to plague him for a while is that he has taught his children that it is ok to lie under testimony, it is ok to take drugs to cheat at sports, but it only becomes not ok if you are caught.

Good example for your children, dude.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yes Armstrong admited that he was using drugs but there is a very big figure that people are passing their eyes on, Armstrong is just un individual but the organisation body that tested him and passed his test should be kept more accountable for all this mess.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues