Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Ben Carson for President?

I've watching and been fascinated by the life of Ben Carson for several years now.

I have special interest in promoting literacy among the young and first came across Dr. Carson when reading the book, "The Read Aloud Handbook" where the author uses Dr. Carson's childhood experiences with books and reading as a pivotal reason he was able to leave inner city Detroit and become a neurosurgeon.

His speech at the National Prayer Breakfast seems to have cause a fire-storm of reaction. Some are even going so far as to put "President" and "Ben Carson" in the same sentence.

Here is a written transcript of the speech:

http://www.realverse.com/dr-ben-cars...yer-breakfast/

Here is an excerpt:

You know. [laughter] after a while, I actually began to enjoy reading those books because we were very poor, but between the covers of those books I could go anywhere, I could be anybody, i could do anything. I began to read about people of great accomplishment, and as I read those stories, I began to see a connecting thread. I began to see that the person who has the most to do with you and what happens to you in life is you. You make decisions. You decide how much energy you want to put behind that decision. And I came to understand that I had control of my own destiny. And at that point I didnít hate poverty anymore, because I knew it was only temporary. I knew I could change that. it was incredibly liberating for me, made all the difference.

Here is the video of the speech:

[YT]PFb6NU1giRA[/YT]

You just have to google "Ben Carson" to see both support and heavy criticism of Dr. Carson and his speech.

What do you think about what he said, where and how he said it and the National response?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues