Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Retail Apocalypse: Why Are Major Retail Chains All Over America Collapsing?

Quote:
If the economy is improving, then why are many of the largest retail chains in America closing hundreds of stores? When I was growing up, Sears, J.C. Penney, Best Buy and RadioShack were all considered to be unstoppable retail powerhouses. But now it is being projected that all of them will close hundreds of stores before the end of 2013. Even Wal-Mart is running into problems. A recent internal Wal-Mart memo that was leaked to Bloomberg described February sales as a "total disaster". So why is this happening? Why are major retail chains all over America collapsing? Is the "retail apocalypse" upon us? Well, the truth is that this is just another sign that the U.S. economy is falling apart right in front of our eyes. Incomes are declining, taxes are going up, government dependence is at an all-time high, and according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the percentage of the U.S. labor force that is employed has been steadily falling since 2006. The top 10% of all income earners in the U.S. are still doing very well, but most U.S. consumers are either flat broke or are drowning in debt. The large disposable incomes that the big retail chains have depended upon in the past simply are not there anymore. So retail chains all over the United States are now closing up unprofitable stores. This is especially true in low income areas.

When you step back and take a look at the bigger picture, the rapid decline of some of our largest retail chains really is stunning.

It is happening already in some areas, but soon half empty malls and boarded up storefronts will litter the landscapes of cities all over America.

Just check out some of these store closing numbers for 2013. These numbers are from a recent Yahoo Finance article...

Best Buy

Forecast store closings: 200 to 250

Sears Holding Corp.

Forecast store closings: Kmart 175 to 225, Sears 100 to 125

J.C. Penney

Forecast store closings: 300 to 350

Office Depot

Forecast store closings: 125 to 150

Barnes & Noble

Forecast store closings: 190 to 240, per company comments

Gamestop

Forecast store closings: 500 to 600

OfficeMax

Forecast store closings: 150 to 175

RadioShack

Forecast store closings: 450 to 550

The RadioShack in a nearby town just closed up where I live. This is all happening so fast that it is hard to believe.

But the truth is that those store closings are not the entire story. When you dig deeper you find a lot more retailers that are in trouble.

For example, Blockbuster recently announced that this year they will be closing about 300 stores and eliminating about 3,000 jobs.

Toy manufacturer Hasbro recently announced that they will be reducing the size of their workforce by about 10 percent.

Even Wal-Mart is going through a tough stretch right now. According to documents that were leaked to Bloomberg, Wal-Mart is having an absolutely disastrous February...
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...ica-collapsing

Do you still believing that everything is fine? If so tell us why.

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 PM
v7n Mentor

Is this where we insert "I Told You So"?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Well, actually, I never said everything was fine. But, let's be fair some of those closings are caused by out-dated business models. Some are attributable to Internet competition. Some are a result of over-expansion. Some are as you are suggesting a lack of consumer buying.

My home town is not large enough to support 2 Office Depots, 2 Office Max's and 2 Staples. I may have missed a store or two. What was the expansion teams thing when they built them? Were they thinking at all?

Sear's, K-mart, JcPenny and probably Radio Shack are outdated models.

Book stores are dying everywhere. Amazon, kindle and other readers are sucking the juice off the top. What the chains did to the local booksellers is now being done to them via download.

So are we in crises or evolving? Is the change good or bad? You tell me.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrafters View Post
Is this where we insert "I Told You So"?
After following what Ron Paul said, he was right on about the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
My home town is not large enough to support 2 Office Depots, 2 Office Max's and 2 Staples. I may have missed a store or two. What was the expansion teams thing when they built them? Were they thinking at all?
I doubt that you will see again 2 Office Depots and 2 Office Max in the same town, they just merged.

Quote:
So are we in crises or evolving? Is the change good or bad? You tell me.
I guess we are in crises because of many things, mainly because of a certain globalization that do not affect the elites yet, but sooner than later it will according to the conjuncture.

In my opinion it will be brutal, when the stock market will drop in a free fall.

Robespierre

Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I doubt that you will see again 2 Office Depots and 2 Office Max in the same town, they just merged.
They did that deal quickly.

One store here is gone for sure since they are 500 feet apart. Two of the others are closer than they should be, but no closer than two Lowes stores. I reserve judgement on that choice.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues