Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Understanding US/UK Healthcare Systems

I have been having some discussions with some of my relatives that are based in Florida and they have been complaining a lot about the healthcare system Obama wants to pass through and comparing it as similar to the UK NHS (National Health Service) system.

They explained to me how our system fails and how the US one is superior (I can't argue with that too much), but today one of my friends was a little sad due to the fact that they needed Ezetrol and their insurance wouldn't pay for it so it was going to cost them $168'ish per month.

I sent them a link to a UK site showing that the exact same drug costs us Brits 1.22 which is about $1.86 per month. They couldn't understand why the massive difference.

I explained that in the US, you have middle men, part of the money goes towards paying the insurance company, making sure that the CEO gets his X-million dollar per year wage and because it is insurance based, the drug companies go to town on their pricing.

In the UK, prices are not dictated by drug companies and if a company comes up with an extortionate pricing, the government tells them to go away and come back when their head isn't so far in the clouds.

I am not advocating the Obama healthcare system but I can find many examples where drug companies are killing the the American people due to this pricing structure and I understand drug companies and insurances fear because if it is controlled by the government then these companies couldn't dictate prices anymore.

Any opinions on this or do you think I have gotten this wrong as I am must trying to understand why the rip-off pricing for you guys.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues