Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Health Dept.: Homeless Can’t Eat Deer Meat

Quote:
Hunters across Louisiana are outraged after state health officials ordered a rescue mission to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because venison is not allowed to be served in homeless shelters.

The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat.

“Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,” said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. “While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.”

That statement set off a firestorm among hunters and lawmakers who called it outrageous and insulting.

“That’s a mild understatement,” said Richard Campbell, one of the founders of Hunters for the Hungry, a group that has been donating wild game to shelters since 1993. “Hunters are going nuts over it. It’s created an outrage across our state and even over into Mississippi.”

The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.

Henry Martin, executive director of the mission, told Fox News they’ve been serving deer meat for years – from deer chili to deer spaghetti.

“This was really good meat,” he said. “It’s high in protein and low in cholesterol. It’s very healthy.”

Martin said he was extremely bothered by the way state health inspectors handled the situation.

“You would think we would have due process,” he said. “But they meant to destroy the meat – that’s for sure.”

The mission’s chef asked if they could at least return the meat to the processing plant – but the state officials said no.

“They actually took it out to the dumpsters, split the packages open and poured Clorox on it,” Martin told Fox News.

He said the rescue mission serves 200,000 meals a year – without a single dime of assistance from the state or federal governments. As a result of the confiscation, he said as many as 3,200 meals were lost.

“It seems like this was a senseless act,” he said. “I don’t think hungry people who come to our mission appreciate the fact they could have been eating some really good venison and as it is now – no one can eat it.”

The Health Dept. defended their actions and said they had to pour Clorox on the meat as an “extra precaution so that animals would not eat it from the dumpster and become sick or die.”

“This is a process called ‘denaturing,’” they stated.

Campbell said the venison comes from deer management programs – where hunters have to kill a lot of deer.

“We ask our hunters once they fill up their own freezers to give the extra to the needy,” he said.

Once the deer is donated, a local processing plant prepares the meat for the shelters.
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...deer-meat.html

Any thought on this?

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
v7n Mentor

Our country has been taken over by stupid have to have something to complain about, lacking common sense people. It is just getting beyond ridiculous! I just don't have words...

Quote:
Venison Health Risks – Conclusion

In conclusion, although there are some health risks that may be associated with the consumption of game meat, many of these risks can be easily avoided. With the proper preparation, processing and cooking, these health risks can be easily minimized. Using techniques found in this article, individuals can take steps to ensure that their venison will minimize these risks and prevent the occurrence of such problems and ailments.
http://www.venisonhq.com/what-is-ven...-health-risks/

Sounds to me that there isn't any more risk in eating of Venison than eating chicken, turkey, or any other foods that we are subject to. How many was it again that caught salmonella and other things from vegetables, fruits, and nuts over the last couple of years from licensed distribution centers for money??
www.pchelper123.com

Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I literally cannot find the words to express how stupid I feel this is.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Latest Blog:
None

From the article:
Quote:
“I don’t think hungry people who come to our mission appreciate the fact they could have been eating some really good venison and as it is now – no one can eat it.”
Apparently, at least one of those hungry people didn't appreciate getting that venison:
Quote:
The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

My daddy used to tell me that beggars can't be choosy....

Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

If I said what I really believe in the manner I would like to express it, Cricket would ban me, so I will just say nothing other than to quote:
Quote:
My daddy used to tell me that beggars can't be choosy....

Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

I never cease to be amazed by the stupidity of so many government employees....
Then I did spend over 20 years on the inside....

And never ceased to be amazed....etc...

Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

It's such a sad waste when you think of how many families that would have given almost anything for even a portion of that meat in their freezer.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
“That’s a mild understatement,” said Richard Campbell, one of the founders of Hunters for the Hungry, a group that has been donating wild game to shelters since 1993. “Hunters are going nuts over it. It’s created an outrage across our state and even over into Mississippi.”
Granted, if this is the State law then I guess it has to be followed until it has been changed.

That said, it may have been an idea for the officials to at least let them use up their current supply and meet with the hunting group to discuss alternatives instead of pulling food out of the mouths of the hungry.

Governments are SO FAR REMOVED from reality that it clearly beggars belief!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:03 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Granted, if this is the State law then I guess it has to be followed until it has been changed.

That said, it may have been an idea for the officials to at least let them use up their current supply and meet with the hunting group to discuss alternatives instead of pulling food out of the mouths of the hungry.

Governments are SO FAR REMOVED from reality that it clearly beggars belief!
It just hit me...had it been a cache of guns instead of deer meat they would have bought it back...why didn't they do a buy back or replacement for those who are most in need??
www.pchelper123.com

Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

"The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff" This sum up pretty well in which kind of society we are living in.

In my life I eat snail, frog legs, rabbit, ostrich, buffalo, venison, boar, grey partridge, and exotic sea foods, etc for decades and I am still here.

Unfortunately, we are entering into a time when people compete to be the stupidest they could and are rewarded for it, the smart people are just ignored.

Robespierre

Old 02-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Actually, there is a danger in eating venison, especially wild-caught and not farm-raised. I'm surprised that they didn't just give back the meat to the hunters, but this article VERY CONVENIENTLY leaves out mentioning CWD.

CWD stands for Chronic Wasting Disease, and is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy- much like Mad Cow disease (BSE, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy). It's endemic to mule deer and Rocky Mountain elk, and in the last decade has spread from the Rockies up to Canada and a few northeast US states (PA, NY, MD).

NOW, there haven't been any documented cases of deer-to-human transmission of CWD. However, the CDC agrees that while the risk of transmission is probably extremely low, the jump of BSE to humans (the resultant vCJD, variant Crutzfeld-Jakod disease in humans) shows us that the species barrier may not always be sufficient. We just don't know enough about this prion disease to take that chance.

Because the health officials didn't see how the hunters prepared the meat, if any bone or brain matter came into contact with it, if any of the deer looked sick or unhealthy, they had to deem it unsafe. It seems to me that the mission and the hunter/deer management didn't think to check the state law about serving deer meat in shelters.

I haven't posted 20 posts yet, so I can't post URLs to other sites. But I suggest googling CWD, the CDC's stance on it, and the CWD Alliance (this alliance was formed by "The Boone and Crockett Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and Mule Deer Foundation"- they have a vested interest in protecting these animal populations, and are made of both conservationists and hunters).

Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I am sure there are very valid reaasons for possible risks of disease spreading into humans, but if the government are so concerned about this problem then they should provide the necessary food to these places to feed these people.

Valid reasons or not, it is wrong to take food out of a starving mans mouth and if they think the alternative could be worse, then they should do their jobs and look after the people that need it most and provide.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 PM

"The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat."

Apparently those starving men took the food out of their own mouths because they didn't want to be fed deer meat.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindySto View Post
"The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat."

Apparently those starving men took the food out of their own mouths because they didn't want to be fed deer meat.
I must be in a bad mood tonight.

Yes someone who felt entitled and knew the ropes reported the event. They don't belong in a shelter anyway. They should get a job or starve.

Deserving hungry people who would eat whatever was offered with dignity are now deprived of food because of some stupid regulation. Yes I do believe that some people in shelters are deserving and thankful.

OTOH there are people like the guy I refused to help at Wal-mart just before Christmas who has now made the local paper and 3 TV stations. He has admitted on camera to making 1000s of dollars per year as a panhandler. No he isn't special as claimed. He is just to ornery to get a job.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Actually, there is a danger in eating venison, especially wild-caught and not farm-raised. I'm surprised that they didn't just give back the meat to the hunters, but this article VERY CONVENIENTLY leaves out mentioning CWD.

CWD stands for Chronic Wasting Disease, and is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy- much like Mad Cow disease (BSE, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy). It's endemic to mule deer and Rocky Mountain elk, and in the last decade has spread from the Rockies up to Canada and a few northeast US states (PA, NY, MD).

NOW, there haven't been any documented cases of deer-to-human transmission of CWD. However, the CDC agrees that while the risk of transmission is probably extremely low, the jump of BSE to humans (the resultant vCJD, variant Crutzfeld-Jakod disease in humans) shows us that the species barrier may not always be sufficient. We just don't know enough about this prion disease to take that chance.

Because the health officials didn't see how the hunters prepared the meat, if any bone or brain matter came into contact with it, if any of the deer looked sick or unhealthy, they had to deem it unsafe. It seems to me that the mission and the hunter/deer management didn't think to check the state law about serving deer meat in shelters.

I haven't posted 20 posts yet, so I can't post URLs to other sites. But I suggest googling CWD, the CDC's stance on it, and the CWD Alliance (this alliance was formed by "The Boone and Crockett Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and Mule Deer Foundation"- they have a vested interest in protecting these animal populations, and are made of both conservationists and hunters).
I am sure the hunters checked, if they had these kind of disease issues in their state before giving away the meat at the shelter center.

You still have much more chance to get food poisoning Salmonella, than CWD.

Robespierre

Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

You are correct in that some idiot decided that the food starving people were being fed was wrong.

Like Scriptman said, this person truly doesn't deserve to be there as lets face it, if this person was truly hungry and appreciative of the donations provided, they would not have tried to take the food out of the mouths of other starving people.

Lets step away from the law and look at this in a "real world reality" perspective for a moment - If we were starving, living on the streets, worried about where our next meal was going to come from and relied on these sorts of places for a meal, would we really rock the boat and take food away from our own mouth and from our friends/colleagues mouths?

I would say that this leads to one of three possibilities.
1, That person suffers mentally in some way and did not realise what they were doing. In which case it wasn't their fault.
2, The homeless person has a serious chip on their shoulder and wanted their 15 minutes of fame.
3, The person was a plant as how else would the government be able to come off as the good guys by pulling the food out of the homeless peoples mouths.

I do agree with you that the law is there to be upheld, but in the same token, there also needs to be some compassion shown by the system and they could have easily gotten the place to sign a disclaimer stating that it is on the shelters head if anything goes wrong and that in the meantime, the health department will work with them on a possible solution.

Remember, governments work in their own bubble and not on a real-world level where there are genuine effects that can affect peoples lives from decisions they make.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The article indicates the meat was prepared at a processing plant.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Exactly! That is the point I was attempting to make. The meat was not some scrap meat, or meet acquired by scooping up found carcases. This meat was the same meat that the hunters themselves take home to eat, that is found in your expensive restaurants across the country. High quality and duly processed and cared for. While the State Health Department may be tasked with the ensuring that food is processed and handled correctly at public places I failed to see when it was announced that State and Federal agencies are now employed to look out for our well being by telling us what we can and can't eat.

Not to even mention the "HOMELESS", "STARVING" aspect of the topic...I am curious as to who it was that complained and were they really needy? I know that is bad to wonder but these days it is a question that must be asked...did a person taking advantage of the system mess it up for those truly in need? I hope that answer is at least no.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Though I completely disagree with the way they handled this situation, one thing I am confused about is how was the meat prepared at a processing plant if it is illegal, or "not permitted" in any establishment in this state?

Quote:
The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat.

Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,” said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. “While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.”
Btw, please don't think I am defending the government here, far from it but if that's the state law, it seems like either they have been breaking it since 1993 and the government turned a blind eye (which is fair enough).

From what I can see, the problem lies with the pr&*k that reported them as once reported, the government had no choice but to show itself upholding its own laws.

Again, I am not defending the government but I can see it from their side also.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues