Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Store’s New Policy Will Charge Customers $5 Fee

Quote:
Imagine walking into a store, not to purchase anything, but to browse for future purchases or to just pass the time. Then imagine being in said store and being told that you owe a $5 “just looking” fee.

That’s exactly what Celiac Supplies, a gluten free grocery store in Brisbane, Australia, intends to do to combat shoppers who browse but don’t buy.

“As of the first of February, this store will be charging people a $5 fee for ‘just looking,’” the sign reads. “The $5 fee will be deducted when goods are purchased.”

Why implement a policy that will obviously be unpopular among customers? Celiac Supplies goes on to explain that the new policy is meant to fight individuals who “use this store as a reference and then purchase goods elsewhere.”

“This policy is in line with many other clothing, shoe and electronic stores who are also facing the same issue,” the sign concludes.

The issue that the Australian gluten free grocery store is facing is not one that hasn’t touched American business as well. It’s just that, instead of passing the burden onto consumers, stores like Best Buy and Target adapted to stay competitive in the marketplace.

“Target and Best Buy were likewise stung by shoppers who came in, tried out their products and then went home to buy on Amazon,” Daily Finance points out. “But instead of banning phones or trying to charge an entrance fee, they instead extended their price-matching policy to Amazon and other online retailers.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...at-some-point/

Man! We are going to think twice before going in these kind of stores

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

It won't take off too much because all people have to do is find online which stores charge and which don't and the people will just head to the ones that don't, thus completely jeopardizing the ones that do.

Businesses are slowly going to have to go more web based because a bricks-and-mortar store competing against a web based store is a pretty tall order. That said, there are some items that I prefer to buy form a store and not online because if something goes wrong, it is just easier to go back to the store.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
It won't take off too much because all people have to do is find online which stores charge and which don't and the people will just head to the ones that don't, thus completely jeopardizing the ones that do.

Businesses are slowly going to have to go more web based because a bricks-and-mortar store competing against a web based store is a pretty tall order. That said, there are some items that I prefer to buy form a store and not online because if something goes wrong, it is just easier to go back to the store.
Well, when e-commerce in US will have to take the sales tax online, and shipping cost, it will be over for many online stores, because they will not be competitive against brick and mortar stores.

If you have both, it will be the most powerful tools to merchants.

Robespierre

Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

I'm the kind of guy who won't even go to nude bar when there is a cover charge so do you think I am going to pay to get into Best Buy?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Well, when e-commerce in US will have to take the sales tax online, and shipping cost, it will be over for many online stores, because they will not be competitive against brick and mortar stores.

If you have both, it will be the most powerful tools to merchants.
What is forgotten in the debate over sales tax for online merchants are consumers...American citizens who pay the taxes that pay the salaries for all the politicians who seem to take delight in making everything too complicated and more expensive.

Ultimately, they don't pay the bill, all us "little people" do.

Oh, by the way, I think that shopping a store just for the purpose of going elsewhere to buy is tacky. At least buy a pound of gluten free pasta before you leave. At one time, I set up beautiful educational book displays and sold a whole bunch of them at fairs and events. I finally became discouraged when people would take my own business cards, flip them over and start writing down ISBN numbers so they could go home and purchase on Amazon.

I'm the type of person willing to pay a couple extra bucks to support the person who did all the research and gathered the products together in one place whether it be a store or a booth at an event. Kinda like the way I will pay an extra couple of dollars to shop at a locally owned mom and pop store if I happen upon one.

I can see the reason behind charging $5 but doubt they'll actually be able to keep it up.

Who should be charging money are car dealers who have people drive cars for fun who have absolutely no intention of making a purchase. I've not been a car salesman but when I hear people do this, it gives me the creeps.

Last edited by txshellie; 04-04-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I'm the kind of guy who won't even go to nude bar when there is a cover charge so do you think I am going to pay to get into Best Buy?
Same here.
They'll be lucky if I don't bill them $20 for my valuable browsing time.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Why implement a policy that will obviously be unpopular among customers? Celiac Supplies goes on to explain that the new policy is meant to fight individuals who “use this store as a reference and then purchase goods elsewhere.”
Shouldn't they be focusing on why they are just a reference and why customers aren't purchasing goods from them? May be work on being a big more competitive in their pricing...

Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
What is forgotten in the debate over sales tax for online merchants are consumers...
If online merchants are adding the sales tax into their prices, I bet consumers will buy locally to the brick and mortar stores or will change their habits and buy cheaper products.

The only beneficiaries I see are the big box stores where you don't know exactly how the products and ingredients are made.

Also many stores on internet claim all natural products without preservatives and expiration dates, which should alarm the consumers of these suspicious miraculous products.

Robespierre

Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

The negative publicity will cost them at least double the amount they'll gain from the window shopping tax.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues